Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is your favorite Sailor Moon movie?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
As everyone here knows Sailor Moon had 3 theatrical films released during the anime's run in the 90's (and as redundant as it may be I will list them lol)

Sailor Moon R The Movie
Sailor Moon S The Movie
Sailor Moon SuperS the Movie

Two were original stories (R and SuperS) while one (S) was an adaptation of a manga story.

Out of the three which one is your favorite and why?

My pick would be Sailor Moon R The Movie. I may be biased since Tuxedo Mask is my favorite Sailor Moon character but out of the 3 films R gives his character the most focus and actually gives him more of a backstory and character development outside of his interactions with the senshi than the 90's series ever did.
I find it the most moving of the 3 and the ending with everyone trying to stop the asteroid while Moon Revenge is playing definitely one of the most memorable moments of Sailor Moon's animated appearances.
the fact that I saw this film in theatres 8 times last month should give you some indication of how much I like.

Last week I actually re-watched Sailor Moon S the Movie. It had been years since I had seen it and even though it did not overtake Sailor Moon R I was very surprised by how much I liked it because I don't remember caring much for the S and SuperS films when I was younger. I will be rewatching the SuperS Movie this week so I'm curious what my impression of it will be after so many years.

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite Sailor Moon movie?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
I loved them all personally I thought they were all written quite well

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:22 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
The "S" movie because:

(1) It was the first movie that I saw together with my husband;
(2) Because I am a huge fan of Luna (the cat);
and (3) because after my husband moved from the coast to live with me before we married, a black cat showed up and adopted us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The R movie is my favorite for it's plot and character development, action scenes and music, but looking back at them as adults, I feel like the S and SuperS movies have much better animation than the R movie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:29 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sailor Moon R is my favorite because it centers around Mamoru and gives him more relevance to the storyline of the movie. I also like that it had a mixture of friendship,romance,action and loneliness themes portrayed in it. It was heartwarming to see how important Usagi is to the senshi and vice versa. The S movie focused more on the romantic aspect of the plot ,while Super S focused more on the action and plot itself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
The R movie. I love the final battle with Moon Revenge playing in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
S movie

I love Luna both as Cat and as Human
I loved seeing the inners and outers together
chiba was tolerable
I like Snow Kaguya as an antagonist even her snow dancers are cute
it was cool seeing everyone come together to help Sailor Moon use the Silver Crystal and see her make a wish after Kaguya's defeat
it was cute seeing Kakeru take care of sick Luna
poor Artemis though but it worked out in the end, I'm glad Diana wasn't in the anime during this movie it wouldn't have been the same don't get me wrong though I adore Diana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
I don't like movies (it has nothing to do with sm,i just can't stand watching movies I think they are extremely long and I lose my concentration easily) but if I had to make a decision,i'd choose r because r was my favorite season,and fiore was an interesting character

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:21 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I like them all but the R movie is my favorite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SuperS. The animation is beautiful.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:48 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I just finished re-watching the Sailor Moon SuperS movie today and unfortunately I don't feel it is in the same league as the previous two films. While I do not think it is terrible at all I just feel the storyline isn't as engaging and the villain was a big step down from Fiore and Snow Queen Kaguya. Probably my favorite parts were the beginning and ending credit sequences and of course the scene at the beginning with Usagi and her friends baking cookies.

One thing this film does have over the previous two is the animation. I agree completely with what a previous poster in this thread said. The animation in this film is beautiful and a huge step up from R and S. They actually animated the attacks in real time during the battle at the playground instead of reusing the same stock animation for it. I don't understand why Toei couldn't be bothered to do that for the previous two films.

It's a shame because I remember reading somewhere that the SuperS film was supposed to be darker and closer to what the Revolutionary Girl Utena film was and that would have definitely made for a better and more interesting Sailor Moon movie.
It could have even topped the R and S films but so much for what might have been.

Overall I find the SuperS film average while I found R to be almost great and S to be very good.
Like I said before it was nice surprise upon re-watching the S film to find I liked it a lot more than I previously did.
I hope Viz gives the S film a theatrical release and I would definitely see the S film in theatres more than once.
I would also see SuperS in theatres if Viz released especially since it would include Ami's First Love before it since they did include include the short Make Up Sailor Guardians before the R movie when I saw it in theatres last month.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ironic considering it comes from my least favorite season but my favorite movie is actually the SuperS movie. I really loved the story and I love Queen Badiane as a villain. Probably the only things I didn't like were the Chibiusa/Perle stuff as I don't like Chibiusa with anyone else besides Helios and I think it made no sense having Sailor Pluto come back and yet Haruka and Michiru are surprised to see her in Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
I like them all but the R movie is my favorite

I liked it the best too. It had the best action scenes.

Next is SuperS. Having the Outers there felt out of place story wise but I love the new one time attacks.

S felt like one long filler episode. The action scenes weren't anything new unless you like the ryona scenes. And the final boss scene was almost the same as the fight with Metallia Beryl. I do like the Santa :tuxspeedomask: and human :luna: scenes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
I like them all, but I have to say that my favorite would have to be the S movie, I love Luna so I'm glad she got a lot of focus in the movie and it was nice to see her in her human form in the movie, and I love her relationship with the human astronomer it was so cute, the movie is very Luna-centric. I like other things about the movie too such as the action scenes, all the Sailor Senshis fighting together to save the Earth from Princess Kaguya. The movie was more about Luna developing this special bond with this human astronomer being told from Luna's point of view and we saw a different side of her, while all the usual SM action were really just secondary. But I love it mostly for Luna's relationship with the astronomer, it's really lovely and cute.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
TuxedoSailorEarth wrote:
I just finished re-watching the Sailor Moon SuperS movie today and unfortunately I don't feel it is in the same league as the previous two films. While I do not think it is terrible at all I just feel the storyline isn't as engaging and the villain was a big step down from Fiore and Snow Queen Kaguya. Probably my favorite parts were the beginning and ending credit sequences and of course the scene at the beginning with Usagi and her friends baking cookies.

R and S actually expand on the characters and flesh them out but SuperS feels more like your standard anime filler in movie, like the Naruto and Inuyasha movies. I also didn't like Chibiusa hooked up with somebody else and the movie just ignores Helios.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I'm actually surprised that a few people in this thread listed the SuperS film as their favorite. I remember reading a thread similar to this one a few years ago and I don't recall a single person picking SuperS as their favorite film. It was either R or S and unfortunately I could not bring myself to rate the SuperS film as anything more than okay or passable even with it's beautiful animation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The S movie because I can relate myself to Luna's situation.(this is also why Casablanca Memories is my favorite side Story.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:10 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I agree S was very good and I feel certain it will get a theatrical release. I just have a feeling whether it's labeled a special engagement or not that Viz will want to pad out the running time especially since the film is only 60 minutes long and did not include a theatrical short like the other two films. I still believe that was the purpose of that 10 minute voice cast interview they included before the R movie. I even wonder if they'll include one of the TV specials before the S movie? For some reason I don't see Viz just releasing the S film without a short or something to pad out the running the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
If they finish up dubbing S by that time and they start dubbing SuperS already, maybe they can include the SuperS TV specials with the S movie? I know it's not related to S in anyway but it's the only thing I can think they could include with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
All 3 are Magnificent Achievements and Very Likeable, I rarely say that about any film series! :)

However for me it comes in 2 parts;

1.) Growing-up and watching these on VHS from Japan with subs?

Sailor Moon S Movie was my Favorite!

2.) Viz Media Re-Launch and Updating for Present Day;

Right Now it is Sailor Moon R!

Will wait to see how they to the other 2 but honestly I am expecting them to be Magnificent as well!

But just saying about the Updates and Theater Release of R was an Experiance I will NOT Soon Forget! :love: :innocent: :smug:

http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Some Cool:

Iron Man 3 - Can You Dig It!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA6scEvEJEY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
It's interesting some people criticize the animation in the R movie but have no complaints about the animation in the S and SuperS films. I felt the animation quality between the 3 films was very consistent although nowhere near what a big budget anime film would have (such as a Studio Ghibli film). It will interesting to see how the R movie looks on Blu-Ray when it comes out this month.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
I like S the most. But R has exciting edge to it as S.

All are equally great, just minus the Bon Bob Babies. I feel that cheapen the Supers Movie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
01. Sailor Moon R
02. Sailor Moon SuperS
03. Sailor Moon S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
1. R
2. Supers
3. S

As much as i love this franchise the movies are kind of a dissapointment for. Besides S, the movies just seem like the basic theme of the season just very very recycled. ...if that makes sense to anyone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
TuxedoSailorEarth wrote:
It's interesting some people criticize the animation in the R movie but have no complaints about the animation in the S and SuperS films. I felt the animation quality between the 3 films was very consistent although nowhere near what a big budget anime film would have (such as a Studio Ghibli film). It will interesting to see how the R movie looks on Blu-Ray when it comes out this month.
We haven't had a chance to see S and SuperS in theaters yet but I'm sure the animation errors in those films will become more apparent once we do. My big issue with the R movie is the CGI asteroid clashes with the 2D animation and I think it would have worked better if they just drew it in 2D. I'll have to wait to see how the CGI in SuperS looks on the big screen before properly judging it but I think the 2D animation moves a lot smoother in it. But I appreciate the S movie doesn't any CGI in it and they even fix some errors from the show, like Mercury's glove vanishing when she does Bubble Spray.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Shine Aqua Illusion!
R was my favourite. I Especially loved the scene with Moon Revenge in the background. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
TuxedoSailorEarth wrote:

I think it's unfair to compare ANYTHING to the quality of Studio Ghibli films they are the Rolls-Royce of anime films

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:19 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
S since it shows the human emotions of the heart. Also got to see the 3 outer senshi fighting, though I do miss having the Sailor of Death around. Also goes over a popular Japanese folklore: Kaguya, who was said to be from the moon, so props to that..

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
TheWinterSoldier91 wrote:
S since it shows the human emotions of the heart. Also got to see the 3 outer senshi fighting, though I do miss having the Sailor of Death around. Also goes over a popular Japanese folklore: Kaguya, who was said to be from the moon, so props to that..

Another plus is that it's (the only one) based on a tankobon manga specially written by Takeuchi herself for it. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:32 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I like them in order. The R movie had an interesting storyline, a good villain, and terrific art and animation, all in the signature Sailor Moon style. The S movie also had a heartwarming, emotional story (if somewhat detached from the main characters), with another cool villain (no pun intended), and more great technical work. The SuperS movie wasn't bad, but it's definitely my least favorite. I'm no fan of Chibi-Usa, and her relationship with Peruru was little different than her relationship with Helios. The movie was more silly to me than anything. At least the dub gave us another badass performance from Kirsten Bishop as Queen Badiyanu.