Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why did Naoko let Toei animate Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Title says it all. I heard that she wasn't happy with SuperS and Sailor Stars, so I'm kinda surprised that she'd let Toei handle Sailor Moon again. :o

Post subject: Re: Why did Naoko let Toei animate Crystal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
because she wants that Ferrari so bad she can taste it P-:

or maybe because she thinks they haven't changed since the 90s or once you go toei you don't go back

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:56 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I think it must be due to a clause in the agreement.

Because TOEI itself approached Naoko and asked her to create Sailor Moon, then I think TOEI has some rights, as well.

I think Naoko can control the property as she wishes, but she does not have all of the rights.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What Clow said.

Also, there is nothing out there suggesting Takeuchi didn't like SuperS or Sailor Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:18 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
I pretty much agree with Clow too, John. The people at Toei walked up to Naoko and said "We're making this series about 5 super heroines, would you make a manga about it?" And this was when she still working on Codename: Sailor V.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:25 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
well at least in that sense I can thank Toei for the push that lead to the creation of Usagi :ohmy:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Yeah, cannot underestimate TOEI's importance on the making of Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:45 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Isn't Osabu the one to thank since he made or suggested Naoko do five heriones instead of just one and to also change the clothes into the fuku we have today for our senshi.

I can bet that in the contract between Toei and Naoko, they still have some rights over some of the property of Sailor Moon (specifically the anime version)...Naoko probably gets rights to approval and disapproval of certain things. I guess that since Toei wanted to adapt SM into a version closer to the manga, they had to ask for her permission to do so since she is the original creator of the manga and they are of the anime. Either I'm sure Naoko is happy now considering she gets back end pay or some percentage of the profit that Sailor Moon makes.

I believe that if Toei wanted to make a continuation of the 90s version, Naoko wouldn't have very much say so but as far as a straight up renewal manga adaptation to attract "new fans", if Naoko says Nope, then it's a no...

This could possibly explain why it took so long in the first place because perhaps Toei wanted to deviate from the manga, (perhaps some things Naoko didn't like or was iffy about) and Naoko wouldn't let them, prompting some kind of compromise between them eventually and PNP. Could also explain why in one episode you can see PNP on one of the posters..

In any, case, Toei is responsible for a lot of SM's popularity, but not all.

This is just a fun guess for me...lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Also what other anime studios out there work in magical girl anime as heavily as Toei has done? I guess there's Madhouse but I feel like Toei has done the most to popularize modern magical girl anime through Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure. Most other current magical girl shows are late night shows for niche otaku audiences. Whether it worked out in the end for her, Naoko probably trusted Toei to have the name recognition for the Sailor Moon brand.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Makes sense considering Toei also has a number of Super Sentai hits and I read Naoko loved Super Sentai.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
TOEI popularized the genre in Japan much before Naoko did with "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine."

"Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" was huge in Japan. Huge. I wish someone subbed all of the episodes of "Bishoujo Kamen Pointrine," so that English-speaking Sailor Moon fans could see the similarities between both shows --and especially "Sailor V."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:04 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Clow wrote:
TOEI popularized the genre in Japan much before Naoko did with "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine."

"Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" was huge in Japan. Huge. I wish someone subbed all of the episodes of "Bishoujo Kamen Pointrine," so that English-speaking Sailor Moon fans could see the similarities between both shows --and especially "Sailor V."

Hell, I wish someone had the raws of the show out there. I can't even find it without subtitles!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I pretty much agree with Clow too, John. The people at Toei walked up to Naoko and said "We're making this series about 5 super heroines, would you make a manga about it?" And this was when she still working on Codename: Sailor V.

Something like that it was tv ashi who came to her . Saying want to make an anime for one of her creations . Than Sailor V , and saying they wanted more girls . Then she created sailor moon. Also according to some panels we were going get Sailor V ova ,but the magazine was puplish in it went out of business. Well patrtly they were own by the same company.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:

I looked this up and by God you are correct!! Very interesting stuff. Immediately, thought of Sailor V when I saw the mask.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
John wrote:

Hell, I wish someone had the raws of the show out there. I can't even find it without subtitles!

It is on Youtube under the name of Patrine (Brazilian Portuguese dub).

Here is episode #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrlbTu9Pk0o

Description: the Superindent-General of Tokyo's Metropolitan Police feels truly mad because Poitrine (Yuko) is solving more crimes and becoming more popular than her. Poitrine starts becoming some kind of idol in Tokyo! To make things worse, these local thieves start selling bootlegged Poitrine merch, such as masks and autographed t-shirts. Yuko (Poitrine) decides that she will let the Superindent-General of Tokyo's Metropolitan Police arrest the thieves... but this causes even more trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:18 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Toei must own creative rights to the Sailor Moon property. They were the ones to adapt the live action series as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Cat
If Toei effectively has to animate Sailor Moon because it is a partial rights holder, what about Sailor V? Could Takeuchi theoretically approach another group (or be approached) to animate it? Or is V technically Toei's turf too since the character appears in Sailor Moon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
We probably will never know since we don't have an details dealing with contract but it's quite possible that the 90's/PGSM version of SM is "Toei's property". I'm sure there is probably something that says Naoko has some creative input on how they further adapt her reprint of the manga. It may be quite possible she made sure to protect SM this go round fully and Toei has to ask her permission for anything dealing with deviance from the current manga.

I think she can go and get Sailor V animated by another company if she wanted, probably even get Crystal animated by someone else. Why she chose them again could be anyones guess...Maybe she assumed things would be better since none of the old folks were there when 90s Moon was made and she has more control over it through PNP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:12 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I assume the same applies to Sailor V as Toei originally wanted to commission a Sailor V OVA before the idea of having five girls was made.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
That might have been a nice little precursor to the main series.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Neon Genesis wrote:
I assume the same applies to Sailor V as Toei originally wanted to commission a Sailor V OVA before the idea of having five girls was made.

It is the first time I hear that TOEI intended to turn Sailor V into an OVA series. Are you sure that information is correct?

The way I interpret it is that TOEI approached Naoko and asked her to create a magical girl series. Thus, she came up with Sailor V. Following Osabu's guidance, she changed her mind and decided to create a team of 5 girls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Clow wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

It is the first time I hear that TOEI intended to turn Sailor V into an OVA series. Are you sure that information is correct?

The way I interpret it is that TOEI approached Naoko and asked her to create a magical girl series. Thus, she came up with Sailor V. Following Osabu's guidance, she changed her mind and decided to create a team of 5 girls.

I'm pretty sure she came up with Sailor V and even published a chapter or two, then was approached to turn it into a television anime but I thought Toei wanted more girls. Would be great to get to the bottom of this lmao.

Keep in mind that Sailor V started before Sailor Moon, then experienced delays as she wrote Sailor Moon, and finally concluded AFTER the Sailor Moon manga was finished.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
John wrote:
Clow wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I'm pretty sure she came up with Sailor V and even published a chapter or two, then was approached to turn it into a television anime but I thought Toei wanted more girls. Would be great to get to the bottom of this lmao.

Keep in mind that Sailor V started before Sailor Moon, then experienced delays as she wrote Sailor Moon, and finally concluded AFTER the Sailor Moon manga was finished.

Alright there is a lot contradictory . So the bet I can find are interviews the old ones is from a transalation from italion . While the new one is Miss Dreams.(I know I have issues ,but there the only recent ones)
(KA: How did Sailor Moon start? Was Sailor Moon straight from the manga, or was it modified for the anime?
Naoko: In the begining of the manga, the protagonist was Sailor V, though the anime is centered around Sailor Moon. The manga was changed to making Sailor Moon the protagonist. This is an agreement that I came to with the producers at Toei Animation. They liked my style, but wanted to see a group of girls joined together. Sailor Moon was modified from the manga for the anime series, again at the request of the producers.

KA: Did the Sailor Moon manga come first?
Naoko: When Toei came up with the idea to make a anime series out of one of my works, a media mix was decided upon. The manga would be released at the same time as the anime series. Toei had limited permission to alter the story a little for the anime. I had spoken with my editor and decided that it would focus on one champoin of justice, but there would be other girls comprising a team. Then, Sailor Moon began being published in Nakayoshi, leaving the manga of Sailor V in Run Run. Theanime was released a little after that.)
The recent one
(Aya: Ah, please, congratulations on Sailor Moon’s 20th anniversary!
Takeuchi: Thank you.
Aya: Deep down I’m really just a huge nerd, and I’ve been extremely nervous, and so today my head is swirling with the memories from when I used to watch and read the story back in the day, so I’m going to be asking you all sorts of things. So let’s just jump right in – I’d like to hear from you all the details of how Sailor Moon first came to be…
Takeuchi: I don’t remember exactly but, I wanted to make a series like Goranger, but with a squad of five fighting girls. Pretty girls who would transform to battle bad guys.)
(Aya: To me it’s fascinating that all the girls in the show are so beautiful.
Takeuchi: Yes. But that’s how girl’s comics are. It’s important, right? But back then, the old men at Nakayoshi (like Osano-san) didn’t really get that. From the onset, I said “I want to make a comic series about a squadron of five beautiful fighting girls”, and they said, “Hold up. In a fighting squadron, there’s always like one comically obese character, and another nerdy one that wears glasses. How are you going to make all five of them beautiful?” and the complaints went on and on. Oh, those old men… I think they didn’t understand girls comics at all.
) The interviwes are a bit contridictory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Because TOEI owns the rights to the anime, and the execs would have likely sold their own children into slavery first before selling off the rights to the series as Sailor Moon is still a cash cow franchise. There's little Takeuchi could have done to influence the creation and production of Crystal. If she could then I doubt the format of the series would have been as wonky. Seriously, a web series followed by a TV series followed by a 2 part movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Echelon9 wrote:
Because TOEI owns the rights to the anime, and the execs would have likely sold their own children into slavery first before selling off the rights to the series as Sailor Moon is still a cash cow franchise. There's little Takeuchi could have done to influence the creation and production of Crystal. If she could then I doubt the format of the series would have been as wonky. Seriously, a web series followed by a TV series followed by a 2 part movie.

Toei has been so unorganized and inconsistent with their formats... I don't know how much confidence they had this time around with the series, I wish the older staff was working on it instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Naoko wrote:
:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I just would like to reiterate that Naoko did not choose TOEI. TOEI chose Naoko.

And Naoko, well...

Spoiler: show

Good for her.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:01 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Spoiler: show

Let's get the party started.

:dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi: :dance: :yoshi:

The perfect song for all her haterz. :circles:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:14 am 
Luna
Luna
Clow wrote:

That's what Naoko said in one of her Punch! comics. It's not clear whether she's referring to TOEI or a different studio though. The translation is by Miss Dream.

Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wonder how many Porsches it would cost to produce a Sailor V OVA, if we assume for a moment, just for laughs, that Naoko actually ever cared about it? :grey: