Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Has Crystal disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:56 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Echelon9 wrote:
The first arc was a major disappointment. The script rewrites just left a sour taste in my mouth. Even more when the changes in the first season never saw any real development or payday. Especially when TOEI revealed that the 26 episodes would cover both arcs. I was expecting 26 episodes just for the first arc alone. I liked the second arc a lot better. It seemed like TOEI had listened to all the overwhelmingly negative criticism from the first arc. It still wasn't the adaption that I wanted to see, as parts from the manga were either cut or censored, but all the major parts were present, including the kick ☹ finale.

I'd probably give the fist arc a D rating, and the second arc a C+ rating.

The third arc was much better. I just didn't like the 13 episode format, or that several of the more bleaker or macabre aspects were cut or censored, but for what we got it was a fine adaptation. And the MAL scores of both seasons reflect the changes in quality.

I'd give the third arc a solid B rating.

Hope the 4th one would get an even higher rating from you. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Hope the 4th one would get an even higher rating from you. :)

I hope so too. I have high expectations for Dream and Stars. However, I'm going to be a lot more judgmental on these last two arcs because the original anime's adaption was so different.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Some Disappointments:
-venus not killing beryl among other rewrites that weren't needed
-animation errors (wrong broach, wrong wand, wrong dress, etc.)
-changing art style for season 3 into pretty cure
-season 4 changing format to a movie

3D transformations
Voice actors
overall feel of season 1 and 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Do you think they delay 4th season because of negative responds on twitter?
That was the first time I've ever seen 99% of tweeters have the same opinion! :x :x :x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:07 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Crystal Moon wrote:
That was the first time I've ever seen 99% of tweeters have the same opinion! :x :x :x

What did the tweeters say?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cierra Moon wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

Almost all of them want a TV series, not the movie.
I just see 1 people agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:13 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Crystal Moon wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:

I think that can totally be expected. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Crystal Moon wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:

I think that can totally be expected. lol

well in my case I'm not the biggest crystal fan
this is the one arc I was looking forward to most
it was the manga's highest point in my view so they have a shot at making crystal thrive
but only as a series would this be better done because as a movie things have to be cut for time
that's why I rather have a series if your gonna make a sm movie have it be based on the short stories like Parallel Sailor Moon or something
let it be said I may not be much fond of crystal but I don't want it to fail it has it's fanbase and they deserve better
turning it into films makes me feel like they are rushing to finish crystal
does Naoko even like this idea? [besides getting a new car P-: ]

that's my opinion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Crystal Moon wrote:

One day Naoko was driving her Porsche (at high speed) to a Nagano ski resort (for stress relief) and decided to browse Twitter to check what fans have to say about Crystal. And as soon as she saw that 99% of opinions were negative she immediately called Toei to stop production, and drove her Porsche back to Tokyo to personally supervise production of the 4th season.

I think at this very moment Naoko is sitting at a SM animation studio surrounded by ramen and instant coffee, and drawing concept artwork and character designs, just to make sure everything is perfect quality and all the fans on Twitter are happy. Because we all know that Naoko actually reads what fans say about SM on Twitter, and we all know how much Naoko cares about quality of SM, right? :mischief:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Just realized that Crystal disappointed me in one thing: they took away Minako's awesome moments. Defeating Makoto in single combat? Rei's exorcism. Killing Beryl? Shared. It was the one chance to remind the anime fan of why exactly Artemis and Ace refer to Sailor Venus as the Goddess of War, and they threw it away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I thought Rei was the Goddess of War? It may have been Naoko's choice & they ultimately decided to downplay Minako a little. I always thought they did decently showing she was a little bit "different" compared to the others, (@ least visually to the point of having a different wand battle cry setup).

After reading all of this, I wonder if Naoko actually does consider or read fan comments. Would Toei actually consider a TV series? What if the quality of the show drops lol? I've heard several people say a movie adaptation would work if they did it correctly, minus the intros, endings and commercial breaks?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I thought Rei was the Goddess of War?

Only one Sailor Soldier was ever called a goddess, and that was Sailor Venus. Artemis usually called her the Goddess of Love, but Ace, and I think Artemis too just once, proclaimed her the Goddess of War.

And there's plenty of mythological reasons for that, considering how often around the world the goddess of love and/or the planet Venus was associated to trouble to anyone stupid enough to cross them:
  • Inanna: Mesopotamic goddess of love and war, associated to the planet. Not the most powerful divinity, but when she threatens to cause a zombie apocalypse the other gods take her seriously. Has derivatives all around the Mediterranean, including but not limited to Ishtar, Astarte, Aphrodite and Venus.
  • Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli: the Lord of the Dawn, and the Aztec god of the Star of Morning (that is, Venus). A troublemaker that was once human and tried to kill the sun god with his arrows, but was killed himself and came back as a god. Still causes trouble with his arrows, with the Aztec having actually a calendar saying who he was going to target on certain days-and the list includes small children and the rain (when he does the latter, there's a drought).
  • Lucifer: also known as the Morning Star. Do I need to say more?
  • Hathor: Egyptian goddess of the moon and also of love. In one myth, many humans once insulted Ra to the point he decided to make an example of them, and sent Hathor to do the job... And on the night all the gods had to prepare an immense quantity of red beer to get her drunk, because she completed the job quickly and then started exterminating the rest of mankind to drink their blood, and had already murdered more than half of them IN. A. SINGLE. DAY. Even Sekhmet (the goddess of war) and Seth (god of the desert and storms and general troublemaker) were appalled.
  • Aphrodite: as all Greeks but the Spartans forgot she's supposed to be a war goddess, she's the nicest of the bunch... And all the gods knew she could have ruled them all except Hades, had she been so inclined. Also prone to cause horrible deaths to any mortal stupid enough to anger her, threatened one of her lovers to have him struck by lightning if he boasted and actually kept the promise (and didn't even have the decency to have Zeus kill him), often ignored her peaceful husband for the war god Ares, with their children being Harmonia, Eros, Adrestia (a goddess of sublime balance between good and evil and also of REVENGE. Either the assistant of Nemesis or Nemesis herself, depending on the myth), and the twin gods of FEAR AND TERROR.
  • Venus: the Roman take. Very similar to Aphrodite thanks to influence from the colonies in Southern Italy... But also keeps enough of her Italic origins to be a rather curious and assimilative goddess, patron of prostitutes and turning all but the most depraved lust into virtue, purificating everything and calming down her male counterparts Mars and Vulcan, granting luck and success in love, sex, job, and war.
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
It may have been Naoko's choice & they ultimately decided to downplay Minako a little. I always thought they did decently showing she was a little bit "different" compared to the others, (@ least visually to the point of having a different wand battle cry setup).

It's not the "different" that I'm upset about, it's the fact they took away the evidence she had fought alone for a year and came out on top.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
After reading all of this, I wonder if Naoko actually does consider or read fan comments.

Lately Mara has suggested here that she did read them on Twitter. :lol:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
After reading all of this, I wonder if Naoko actually does consider or read fan comments.

Lately Mara has suggested here that she did read them on Twitter. :lol:

maybe I should tweet her LOL

though it would be all be chiba related cause I gotta bone to pick with Mr. Perfect P-:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I have to go back and rewatch Crystal. I always thought it was mentioned that she did but they never gave any flashbacks or a devoted an episode like the 90s show did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I thought Rei was the Goddess of War? It may have been Naoko's choice & they ultimately decided to downplay Minako a little. I always thought they did decently showing she was a little bit "different" compared to the others, (@ least visually to the point of having a different wand battle cry setup).

I assumed they were trying to make Crystal like the 90s monster of the week formula by having Sailor Moon be the one to always have the victory and to emphasize the teamwork between the girls. But I do agree that I liked it better when Venus killed Beryl because I thought that made the manga's ending more unique.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I like Crystal but Venus should have killed Beryl. I much prefer it where all the girls get their kills/victories from time to time and not always be Sailor Moon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I'm kinda glad Venus didn't kill Beryl and thought it was better that SM killed her in Crystal and that they all killed her in the 90s. It might have been something Naoko liked as well since it wasn't hinted at in the Crystal anime. However, looking back...it would have been nice maybe giving Venus that kill because I don't remember her doing too much in Crystal. Did she even have any powers beside that Crescent Boomerang? They could have a least gave her a compact charge attack or somethin'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I liked Venus killing Beryl because of how different and unique that idea was. In a lot of fantasy fiction, it usually seems to be the main character that defeats the main villain. Having Venus be the one who does it is just something you didn't expect and I feel like cements her role as the leader of the Sailor Guardians. And I think it's sometimes forgotten that Venus is the one who's the actual leader and not Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:00 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
I liked Venus killing Beryl because of how different and unique that idea was. In a lot of fantasy fiction, it usually seems to be the main character that defeats the main villain. Having Venus be the one who does it is just something you didn't expect and I feel like cements her role as the leader of the Sailor Guardians. And I think it's sometimes forgotten that Venus is the one who's the actual leader and not Sailor Moon.

I agree on killing Beryl but I was always a little fuzzy on Venus being the leader. I know she was in the past life but isn't Sailor Moon the leader now? Or is she just the royal monster killer? I'm honestly trying to figure out how she's supposed to fit into the team because she is a Sailor Senshi too and a dang powerful one. Also, didn't Luna call her the leader when she gave her the Moon Stick? Just figuring it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:10 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
As far as I know, in the Manga, PGSM...Venus is said to be the leader and also a couple of times in the anime. I can't remember, if Crystal mentioned Venus as the leader but I was under the impression that with Princess Serenity gaining powers as a Present Day Senshi aka SM, it would make her the overall leader of the team. Venus would be second in command and then Mars. I think after Mars is Jupiter then Mercury. They really act like a one unit team more than a chain of command Let roll out Autobots group. The best treatment of Venus leadership role somewhat was in PGSM imo. She and Rei are my two favorite versions of themselves in that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
An analogy could be that Moon is a company's president, whereas Venus is its CEO - both are its leaders, but have different leadership roles at different levels. :)

[EDIT]
A military analogy could be that Moon is a commanding officer, whereas Venus is a sergeant. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:20 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
An analogy could be that Moon is a company's president, whereas Venus is its CEO - both are its leaders, but have different leadership roles at different levels. :)

[EDIT]
A military analogy could be that Moon is a commanding officer, whereas Venus is a sergeant. lol

I can see that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:51 am 
Stella
Stella
lord Martiya wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I thought Rei was the Goddess of War?

Only one Sailor Soldier was ever called a goddess, and that was Sailor Venus. Artemis usually called her the Goddess of Love, but Ace, and I think Artemis too just once, proclaimed her the Goddess of War.

And there's plenty of mythological reasons for that, considering how often around the world the goddess of love and/or the planet Venus was associated to trouble to anyone stupid enough to cross them:
  • Inanna: Mesopotamic goddess of love and war, associated to the planet. Not the most powerful divinity, but when she threatens to cause a zombie apocalypse the other gods take her seriously. Has derivatives all around the Mediterranean, including but not limited to Ishtar, Astarte, Aphrodite and Venus.
  • Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli: the Lord of the Dawn, and the Aztec god of the Star of Morning (that is, Venus). A troublemaker that was once human and tried to kill the sun god with his arrows, but was killed himself and came back as a god. Still causes trouble with his arrows, with the Aztec having actually a calendar saying who he was going to target on certain days-and the list includes small children and the rain (when he does the latter, there's a drought).
  • Lucifer: also known as the Morning Star. Do I need to say more?
  • Hathor: Egyptian goddess of the moon and also of love. In one myth, many humans once insulted Ra to the point he decided to make an example of them, and sent Hathor to do the job... And on the night all the gods had to prepare an immense quantity of red beer to get her drunk, because she completed the job quickly and then started exterminating the rest of mankind to drink their blood, and had already murdered more than half of them IN. A. SINGLE. DAY. Even Sekhmet (the goddess of war) and Seth (god of the desert and storms and general troublemaker) were appalled.
  • Aphrodite: as all Greeks but the Spartans forgot she's supposed to be a war goddess, she's the nicest of the bunch... And all the gods knew she could have ruled them all except Hades, had she been so inclined. Also prone to cause horrible deaths to any mortal stupid enough to anger her, threatened one of her lovers to have him struck by lightning if he boasted and actually kept the promise (and didn't even have the decency to have Zeus kill him), often ignored her peaceful husband for the war god Ares, with their children being Harmonia, Eros, Adrestia (a goddess of sublime balance between good and evil and also of REVENGE. Either the assistant of Nemesis or Nemesis herself, depending on the myth), and the twin gods of FEAR AND TERROR.
  • Venus: the Roman take. Very similar to Aphrodite thanks to influence from the colonies in Southern Italy... But also keeps enough of her Italic origins to be a rather curious and assimilative goddess, patron of prostitutes and turning all but the most depraved lust into virtue, purificating everything and calming down her male counterparts Mars and Vulcan, granting luck and success in love, sex, job, and war.
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
It may have been Naoko's choice & they ultimately decided to downplay Minako a little. I always thought they did decently showing she was a little bit "different" compared to the others, (@ least visually to the point of having a different wand battle cry setup).

It's not the "different" that I'm upset about, it's the fact they took away the evidence she had fought alone for a year and came out on top.

Actually lord Martiya in the myth of Hathor she turned into Sekhmet or Sekhmet was emanated in order to kill those that displeased Ra and she was the one who got drunk from the pomegranate wine.

I would also add for Lucifer the modern Christian identification of Satan with Lucifer was a mistake. Lucifer from Greece and Rome were two of the Gods of the planet Venus. However there is a verse where a King is compared to the Morning Star called Helel Ben Shahar also known as Athtar and it used Canaanite imagery to refer to the hubris of a particular ruler. In actuality the Satan of the Torah is known as Samael or Azazel and never fell in Judaism but is an angel that served Yahweh by testing mankind and tempting them to sin as he does in the story of Job. The origin in the belief on fallen angels comes from the Kabbalah which Christians later piggy backed on.

doctorwho29 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I agree on killing Beryl but I was always a little fuzzy on Venus being the leader. I know she was in the past life but isn't Sailor Moon the leader now? Or is she just the royal monster killer? I'm honestly trying to figure out how she's supposed to fit into the team because she is a Sailor Senshi too and a dang powerful one. Also, didn't Luna call her the leader when she gave her the Moon Stick? Just figuring it out.

Sailor Moon is the leader of the Inners and Outers basically the Sol Senshi as a whole. Sailor Venus is the leader of the Inner Senshi or the 4 Guardian Senshi that guard Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars is second in command of the Inners. We don't know who is the leader and second in command of the Outers all though there is good evidence for Sailor Uranus being the leader.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I assumed Usagi was only a temporary leader until Minako joins the team. Crystal does tone down the role of Minako as leader and PGSM waffles between Minako being the leader or Rei being the leader.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
I assumed Usagi was only a temporary leader until Minako joins the team. Crystal does tone down the role of Minako as leader and PGSM waffles between Minako being the leader or Rei being the leader.

I have really got to finish PGSM someday. Anyway, temporary leader might be true but she does always lead the battles and kill the monsters. Anyway, this isn't what this thread is supposed to be about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually lord Martiya in the myth of Hathor she turned into Sekhmet or Sekhmet was emanated in order to kill those that displeased Ra and she was the one who got drunk from the pomegranate wine.

There are a few versions of that myth. I simply used the one that really explained how bad is to piss Hathor off: the one where Sekhmet helps stop her fury.
MariaTenebre wrote:
I would also add for Lucifer the modern Christian identification of Satan with Lucifer was a mistake. Lucifer from Greece and Rome were two of the Gods of the planet Venus. However there is a verse where a King is compared to the Morning Star called Helel Ben Shahar also known as Athtar and it used Canaanite imagery to refer to the hubris of a particular ruler. In actuality the Satan of the Torah is known as Samael or Azazel and never fell in Judaism but is an angel that served Yahweh by testing mankind and tempting them to sin as he does in the story of Job. The origin in the belief on fallen angels comes from the Kabbalah which Christians later piggy backed on.

I know all of that. The important part here is that the Christian devil was associated to the Morning Star and the association stuck, not how it happened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
So SM is temp leader until she becomes Neo Queen Serenity perhaps? I mean isn't Chibi Usa in the same class as her mother and she is the leader of the Quartet. Man I really wish they would have given Chibi-Usa her own show based on her future self as Sailor Moon but in her adult form the SuperS episode. I know it's a long shot of an idea but I'd love to see what our furniture magical women are doing now. I wonder if Minako would pass her moon compact down to her daughter? Toei should have made all the seasons and surprised us with a new one but I know that dream is far from reality as of now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:19 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:

Sailor Moon is the leader of all of the Sol Senshi namely the Inners and the Outers. Sailor Venus is the leader of the Inners aka the 4 Guardian Senshi that protects Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars is second in command of the Inners. I reality Sailor Moon isn't really an Inner or an Outer but the leader of both teams of 4.

Star Angel Haruki wrote:
So SM is temp leader until she becomes Neo Queen Serenity perhaps? I mean isn't Chibi Usa in the same class as her mother and she is the leader of the Quartet. Man I really wish they would have given Chibi-Usa her own show based on her future self as Sailor Moon but in her adult form the SuperS episode. I know it's a long shot of an idea but I'd love to see what our furniture magical women are doing now. I wonder if Minako would pass her moon compact down to her daughter? Toei should have made all the seasons and surprised us with a new one but I know that dream is far from reality as of now.

Well again how it would go is that Sailor Chibi Moon is the leader of the whole team with Sailor Saturn second in command. However of the Sailor Quartet Sailor Ceres seems like the leader. I don't know who would be the second in command. A lot of people assume it would be Sailor Pallas since she is the second eldest with Sailor Ceres being the eldest.

I would add though with the Shitennou aka Tuxedo Mask's guardians. I always thought that in the 90s anime that Kunzite was the leader and Nephrite was second in command. This goes back to their uniforms. Kunzite has both epaulettes and a cape where as Nephrite just has epaulettes and Jadeite and Zoisite have no epaulettes or cape.
lord Martiya wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

There are a few versions of that myth. I simply used the one that really explained how bad is to piss Hathor off: the one where Sekhmet helps stop her fury.
MariaTenebre wrote:

I know all of that. The important part here is that the Christian devil was associated to the Morning Star and the association stuck, not how it happened.

That is interesting I never heard that version. On another interesting note in various West African religions like Vodoun, Santeria, Orisha, Candomble, Umbanda, Quimbanda etc the Deity Eshu/Exu/Eleggua/Papa Legba/Met Kalfu is sometimes syncretized with Satan however he is not evil he is more or less a trickster figure who tests mankind and tempts them to do evil but rewards the virtuous. However in these West African religions Eshu is associated with the planet Mercury. So is his consort Pomba Gira who is also syncretized with Lilith and the Whore of Babylon. These two Deities serve as intercessors to the other Deities and humans and are usually invoked to open the door to speak with the other Deities.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:

True, and also, I find it a bit symbolic how Venus, the Goddess of Love, defeated Queen Beryl, who had an unrequited love for Endymion and the desire to rule the Earth with him and have him all to herself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next