Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why "support the official release" when an item is OOP?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Even now, it seems that a lot of fans are obsessed with "supporting the official release" of Sailor Moon, when it comes to out of print items.

For example, I was just watching a YouTube video about SM bootlegs and how they were bad and that you shouldn't purchase them, but should buy the official release. The out of print item in this case was the Dic dub DVDs/VHS. I just don't understand the logic behind this. If we were talking Viz, then yes, of course! Support the official release if you can, by all means.

However, there is no supporting the official release of something out of print, such as the ADV release of the original dub as these items are unobtainable unless through a third party seller on eBay or Amazon. Thus, there is no reason to spend the extra money on the rare and expensive official DVDs, when you could get the same thing substantially cheaper. Money is not going to Toei, but to whoever is selling you their old copies.

I just don't understand why this is such a popular mindset - is it less about supporting Toei/etc, and more about not supporting bootlegers? That, I would understand.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Post subject: Re: Why "support the official release" when an item is OOP?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:27 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
What they really mean is "Don't watch the old dub buy the Viz dub" the same people who didn't give a ☹ about supporting the official release when the Japanese version wasn't commercially available now suddenly give a ☹. You're right of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Anime
As a fansubber its pretty simple for me with one exception.

If something is available to buy legitimately with English subtitles in either of the following forms -
a) Official Japanese release with English subtitles from Amazon / CD japan
b) A licensed release available in Europe / USA from large mainstream retailers like Amazon / Right Stuff

Then I will not fansub it.

With respects to secondary channel it - if its brand new / sealed and still close to RRP then that counts but low / next to none or second hand / jacked up prices then no.

A good current example is Magical Angel Creamy Mami - you can still JUST about get it legitimately on Amazon.com but very soon it will be fully out of print - at that point where its nigh on impossible to obtain legitimately I would condone re-posting fansubs.

In short -

If it can be bought for new at close to the original retail price with English subtitles then you should support the official item.

If it's second hand or jacked up prices then no as thats not going to the original licensor / Toei thats only lining someone elses pockets.

Character Goods
Obviously character goods again if it's brand new / close to the original RRP again even if its a import again buy legitimately.

My One Exception
The one semi exception I make to the above is Sailor Moon Musicals - at the minute there is no official license for the Musicals in Europe and no official English subtitled release. In this case whilst I understand it being fansubbed I also think people shoud buy the official DVD's as only sales and profit for Nelke will guarantee they make more. Heck even back in 2005 before I understood Japanese like I do now I bought the Anza and Fumina boxes!.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:15 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldn't say the ViZ dub is rare. I have found it in Walmart, Bustbuy etc. As for expensive it is not very expensive to me. All though I recognize that some people have tighter budgets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:20 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
I wouldn't say the ViZ dub is rare. I have found it in Walmart, Bustbuy etc. As for expensive it is not very expensive to me. All though I recognize that some people have tighter budgets.

Oh, my bad! What I meant was, I don't see why people encourage purchasing the rare and expensive ADV DVDs, as opposed to bootlegs of the original dub.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
crescent wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Oh, my bad! What I meant was, I don't see why people encourage purchasing the rare and expensive ADV DVDs, as opposed to bootlegs of the original dub.

Well there is no need to look for the ADV DVDs since we have the ViZ dub anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
MariaTenebre wrote:
crescent wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Well there is no need to look for the ADV DVDs since we have the ViZ dub anyway.

Yeah, I think it's just that a lot of people want to own the old dub for the purpose of nostalgia, etc. Some people even prefer it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 am 
Luna
Luna
@Maria They mean the ADV dvd release of the DiC dub. Not the uncut sub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:14 am 
Planeta
Planeta
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
@Maria They mean the ADV dvd release of the DiC dub. Not the uncut sub

Oh I thought you meant the old sub. We yes for old dub fans this is a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I've got nothing against fans who buy bootlegs of the DiC dub but I don't support bootlegs because the video quality is often really bad and sometimes the discs will freeze on you and not work. If your money isn't going to Toei either way, it's better to just download it and burn your own CDs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:40 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I agree with you, while it's not good to buy bootlegs, but if they're out of print products that are not available anymore then I see no problems with wanting to buy bootlegs. One of the main reasons people buy the original legitimate products is to support the companies that make these products, but if these products are out of print and no longer officially produced, then the money doesn't go to the companies anymore anyway, hence it's fine to buy the bootleg versions.

I must confess that I do buy bootlegs quite frequently when it comes to SM merchandise, because most of the SM merch are just so expensive I just can't afford to buy most of the legitimate stuff, even though I do love many of the recent anniversary merch. So I'm very picky when it comes to buying SM merch, I will only buy the legit stuff that I can actually afford and REALLY want to own. But when it comes to the DVDs, I just buy the more recent releases from Viz. If I want the old DiC and Cloverway dubs then I would just watch/stream them online.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:45 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
As someone who used to own bootlegs of the show from December 2008-May 2014, I can back what Neon Genesis said because although I didn't have them freeze on me, the DVDs I had were full of compression because each season were on 3-4 discs each (mostly 4 but S & Stars had 3) and they also had sub problems as there were instances where they would not show during some spoken lines and this was a frequent problem on S, Stars & the movies while s1, R & SuperS had them too but not as bad compared to the others.

If anyone wants bootlegs of the old dub then do what you want but if a re-release does eventually happen and you're able to afford it then you can throw them out like I did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:42 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If we're talking old versions of the dub then I agree better to download DVD rips than pay for bootlegs by a mile if you have absolutely no avenue for getting it legitimately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
You can also find the old Dubs very easily on YouTube and just download the video onto Viz Media Player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
SailorWelshy wrote:
You can also find the old Dubs very easily on YouTube and just download the video onto Viz Media Player.

Not anymore.

I think DIC fans will have to buy an illegitimate product because the likelihood of an official release is zero.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Nooooooooo don't buy bootlegs.

If you want the DiC dub that bad 2 minutes of searching of nyaa.se threw up torrents for both Classic and R of the original dub at around the 17 - 18GB mark.

Don't line bootleggers pockets :unsure:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
I admit I'm starting to get a little annoyed with all this "Buy Legal Or Else" stuff considering that not everybody swims in loads of money Scrooge McDuck-style and that sometimes licenses sadly expire or there weren't any official exports for your respectice country or area to start with, so the only chance to get to see it at all is by means of near-unwatchable-quality, potentially badly done fandubs/subs on YT and the like.

I don't want to nitpick, but that kind of "witchhunt" won't get us anywhere and somehow it just hilariously reminds of that parody-Piracy Warning clip from "The IT-Crowd":

UPDATE: I know this video may be a little inappropriate due to the current events in London, so sorry if that offends anyone, but that's just my two "copper stars". P-: