* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anime You Want Redubbed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Since anime redubs are all the rage nowadays, what anime would you love to see an updated redub of? At the top of my list, I would love an uncut redub of the first two seasons of Digimon. I have a nostalgic attachment to the original dub and the original voice cast is fantastic, but I would love dub that was more faithful and kept all the original music and a more serious translation, but ideally still used either all the original dub cast or at least the Tri movie cast.

Post subject: Re: Anime You Want Redubbed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 pm 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
It would be interesting to get an uncut re-dub of Sonic X featuring the VAs from the Dreamcast games. I'm not really a fan of the show, but having that cast would make it a bit easier to stomach (though the regular 4Kids cast isn't that bad TBH). The current VAs in the games don't gel with me, so that's why I went with the older cast.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Utena, Digimon, Yugioh (keep Darren Dunstan as Pegasus!) most things 4kids touched.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:41 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Yu-Gi-Oh! but i want Dan Green, Eric Stuart and Darren Dunstan to reprise their roles they were perfect in my eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sailor Moon, but this is not going to happen... I wish Naoko never blocked the rights.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cardcaptor Sakura - the Animax dub is dreadful and we can't use that cast for the Clear Card Arc anyway.
Digimon - Don't think it needs a redub personally, but would still watch and buy it if it got one. Might happen if a company wants pick up the blu ray and add value to the set.
Yona of the Dawn - No, I'm not being funny. The script was laughable and the main leads were horrible miscast. Bad Funimation!
Higarashi: When They Cry - It needs to be finished.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Dragon Ball movies - They have the most inconsistent voice cast with 3 Goku & Bulma VAs and while we can argue over movie 4 having the redubbed series cast, it's not the case for movies 2 & 3 plus does anyone really remember Ceyli Delgadillo as Goku (movies 2 & 3) & Leslie Alexander as Bulma (movie 2)? Movie 2's dub also had bad sound quality as it was FUNi's first attempt at dubbing in-house before DBZ and this was never fixed for the 2005 & 2011 DVD box sets.

Speaking of the 2011 release

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1190507

The movie on that set suffers from bad framerate problems and even lower Japanese audio which has it looking & sounding like a bad quality YouTube video from back in the early days and it's why I threw that disc out and kept my 2005 disc instead. Those same problems were carried over to their streaming website so that movie needs more than just a redub.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
There was an uncut dub of Yugioh with the 4Kids voice cast that was released temporarily but was cancelled after like three volumes due to poor sales. The voice acting was very poor though and the DVDs all had dubtitles on them. I would also love a new redub of CCS. I'm glad to own the NIS DVDs but the Animax is really painful to listen to. Cardcaptors had a lot of censorship problems but still had way better voice acting than Animax.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:05 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
There was an uncut dub of Yugioh with the 4Kids voice cast that was released temporarily but was cancelled after like three volumes due to poor sales. The voice acting was very poor though and the DVDs all had dubtitles on them. I would also love a new redub of CCS. I'm glad to own the NIS DVDs but the Animax is really painful to listen to. Cardcaptors had a lot of censorship problems but still had way better voice acting than Animax.

Oh I hated he uncecered dub. The voices were so bad. I would rather watch the original dub, and eglish subs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:30 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
The Nanoha English dub, with inconsistent names and a chipmunk Cristina Vee.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:26 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^Chipmunk? I disagree, that dub did have it's problems, including the shady circumstances behind it's production, but Cristina Vee as Nanoha was not one of them. I would go as far as saying she was the best thing about that dub since the rest of the cast were not that great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
NJ_ wrote:
^Chipmunk? I disagree, that dub did have it's problems, including the shady circumstances behind it's production, but Cristina Vee as Nanoha was not one of them. I would go as far as saying she was the best thing about that dub since the rest of the cast were not that great.

What shady circumstances?

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
Stella
Stella
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Oh I hated he uncecered dub. The voices were so bad. I would rather watch the original dub, and eglish subs.

luckily you can do both on Crunchyroll XD

redblade7 wrote:

wouldn't mind knowing that one myself :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
redblade7 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/anncast/2009-12-03 (at 63:54 or 1:03:54)
http://animealmanac.com/2008/10/15/behi ... -workshop/
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... post123571
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... post361205

More details in the links above but basically both Nanoha & Familiar of Zero were dubbed at Bang Zoom in 2007 with the VAs being students from their voice acting workshop classes with these being the first official voice acting roles for most of them (Lauren Landa confirmed the Nanoha dub being her first roles and how she got it in her interview extra on Viz's Sailor Moon S part 2 set).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:14 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
everything dubbed by 4kids that didn't already get a redub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:31 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Prince Rose wrote:
everything dubbed by 4kids that didn't already get a redub

I disagree on 2 shows, Pokemon & Ultimate Muscle. The latter's dub was why we got a second season in the first place and as for the former, does anyone really want the current cast to do those early seasons?

I agree with the rest, though it's probably too late with Yu Gi Oh, Sonic X & Fighting Foodons.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 am 
Stella
Stella
NJ_ wrote:
I agree with the rest, though it's probably too late with Yu Gi Oh, Sonic X & Fighting Foodons.

i remember Foodons had a controversial character/moment involving Chocolove in the Viz Manga Chocoloves huge lips were tonned down yet censorship happy 4Kids left his lips alone in the anime XD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:26 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
It will never happen with the upcoming Blu Ray release already to go but I wish Utena had gotten a redub. I know some people like the dub but I just couldn't get into it. The dub performances just feel too wooden compared to the amazing Japanese cast and the dub fails to capture the silly surreal nature of the shadow puppet segments to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:31 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ryo Urawa wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

i remember Foodons had a controversial character/moment involving Chocolove in the Viz Manga Chocoloves huge lips were tonned down yet censorship happy 4Kids left his lips alone in the anime XD

You mean Shaman King

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 pm 
Stella
Stella
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

You mean Shaman King

i'll take your word for it but i thought it was Fighting Foodons :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
GTAB wrote:
It would be interesting to get an uncut re-dub of Sonic X featuring the VAs from the Dreamcast games. I'm not really a fan of the show, but having that cast would make it a bit easier to stomach (though the regular 4Kids cast isn't that bad TBH). The current VAs in the games don't gel with me, so that's why I went with the older cast.

If Sonic X does get redub most likely Mike Pollock would still voice Eggman since the English voice of Eggman during the end of the Dreamcast era passed away when Sonic X began.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^Also Mike's the only one out of the New York voice cast who still does voice work in the current Sonic games & TV show so to replace him as Eggman now would have been a sin, especially since he was the most well-liked out of the previous cast and the guy still does promotional stuff for Sonic, in and out of character, on social media.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:09 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Ryo Urawa wrote:
Salem Saberhagen wrote:

You mean Shaman King

i'll take your word for it but i thought it was Fighting Foodons :lol:

I liked fighting foodons but Chocolove was definitely from Shaman King. http://shamanking.wikia.com/wiki/Chocolove_McDonell They changed his name to Joco as a play on him telling jokes. Some people liked that better since it actually sounded like an African name.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I'd love if Funimation would license the Yu Yu Hakusho movies and redub them with the TV series cast to make them more consistent and because those other VAs were nowhere near as good as the Funimation cast. It'd also be great if Viz could redub the original Hunter x Hunter anime with the reboot dub cast.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'd love if Funimation would license the Yu Yu Hakusho movies and redub them with the TV series cast to make them more consistent and because those other VAs were nowhere near as good as the Funimation cast.

They redubbed the first movie back in 2011...

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Yu-Yu-Ha ... VD-Set-Hyb

It's DVD-only for the same reason the Magic Knight Rayearth OVA is DVD-only in Japan, because it was released on a bonus DVD with one of the show's 3 Japanese Blu-ray box sets, same goes for the Eizou Hakusho OVAs as well.

As for the second film, I think it has to do with Japan because it never got released on DVD over there at all and like with MB & movie 1, the old Central Park Media release here used an old composite master meant for VHS (their VHS came out in 1998 then on DVD in 2002 & again in 2004)...then again, the same happened with the Lupin III: Legend in the Gold of Babylon movie yet we're not only getting a DVD release soon from Discotek (first time ever since the AnimEigo release was only on VHS & Laserdisc) but on Blu-ray as well (first time anywhere) so FUNi should try pushing harder for that Yu Yu Hakusho movie, especially since the film itself was very good (better than the first film actually) and the cast isn't getting any younger plus they might have to do a recast if they eventually do redub it since Laura Bailey (Keiko) is super-busy with LA voice acting & motion capture these days and Alexis Tipton has been taking over some of her roles (Platinum the Trinity in the BlazBlue anime, Kid Trunks in Dragon Ball and Lucina & Palla in Fire Emblem) and Ashly Burch for others (Rise in Persona 4 Dancing All Night and Chun-Li in Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite).

If I had to rank the 3 dub casts it would be.

1. FUNimation [TV series, OVAs & movie 1 redub] - The movie & OVAs were dubbed 10 years after they started with the series and those were pretty good considering how long it had been.
2. Central Park Media [Movie 2] - Dubbed in New York, the cast weren't great but I thought they had the better Botan VA in Veronica Taylor, nothing against Cynthia Cranz but the fake British accent in FUNi's dub was one of the few things I didn't like plus I had already been used to her Chi Chi at that point so the accent just didn't work for me.
3. Animeworks/Media Blasters [movie 1] - Dubbed at Animaze in LA and was the same quality as Manga US' Street Fighter II V dub which wasn't great either. So glad that cast & studio got better in later years.

Quote:
It'd also be great if Viz could redub the original Hunter x Hunter anime with the reboot dub cast.

I didn't care for Hunter x Hunter 1999 and that dub was one of the reasons why. I usually defend Blue Water Studios because I like most of the dubs I've heard from them (G Gundam, My-HiME/Otome, the Law of Ueki, first Pretty Cure & Megaman X (2004-2006)) but they dropped the ball with Hunter x Hunter and for a dub that was done in 2008, it was pretty bad for the most part. I wouldn't mind if Viz redubbed it with the Bang Zoom cast, the only problem is that Viz let the 99 series license expire before the 2011 show was a thing (and unlike certain other reboots, the 99 & 11 shows are under different licensors so they still don't have the original) and they cited bad sales as the reason why they never picked up the 3 sequel OVAs so unless they do something after the 2011 dub is done, I think it's safe to assume that the original show is pretty much dead here.