* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Pre-NES Video Games Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The title is pretty self-explanatory; this is a place to discuss video games made before the NES was released. Whether they're arcade and console games doesn't matter. Also, I'm going by the American release date of 1985, so games made before then (but after the Famicom came out in 1983) are perfectly fine.

I guess I'll start by talking about the Magnavox Odyssey. I have one (complete with the original box) from the initial Fall-1972 manufacturing run. With all of the TV overlays and various accessories for each game, it seemed like quite a fun and immersive experience for the early 70s. For authenticity's sake, I have it hooked up in my absent (since the wooden walls make it look very 70s-esque XD).

Does my system still work? Yes and no. The picture displays just fine, but depending on the game, the ball will generate from the top right corner of the screen and won't come back after you hit it with the paddle. The games that don't use the table tennis template work just fine, though there's admittedly not much to do without a second player. :keke: Even if it doesn't fully work anymore, I'm proud to own this significant piece of gaming history.

Matte Lupin!