* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FUNimation rescues Speed Racer (1967 & 1997 series) & Noein
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:53 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ANN wrote:
North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced at its Otakon panel on Saturday that it has licensed Speed Racer, Noein, and Assassination Classroom season 2.

Funimation will release Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) for the first time on Blu-ray and in Japanese with English subtitles. The set will also include the English audio. The collection will include episodes that have not yet been released in North America. The company has not yet announced a release window.

The 1967-68 car-racing anime Mach Go Go Go was licensed by Trans-Lux and released in the United States in 1967 as Speed Racer. The worldwide rights for the Speed Racer property reverted to Tatsunoko Production from American licensing company Speed Racer Enterprises (SRE) in 2011, though Tatsunoko filed lawsuits against SRE to uphold the reversion, and they were not dismissed until 2014.

Tatsunoko announced in May that it was planning a new license program to reintroduce the property and make the episodes available in high definition for the first time. Tatsunoko is also developing a new Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) series with a "modern audience" in mind.

Funimation will release Noein - to your other self on Blu-ray for the fist time in November.

The television anime debuted in 2005, and Manga Entertainment previously released the series on DVD. Kazuki Akane (The Vision of Escaflowne, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Code Geass: Akito the Exiled) directed the series at Satelight and collaborated with Hiroshi Ohnogi (Aquarion, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Arjuna) on the series composition.

In the story, twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yuu are contemplating running away from home when they are visited by a man named Karasu, a member of the "Dragon Cavalry" that is searching for a mysterious object that is the key to stopping the annihilation of all space and time. Karasu claims to be Yuu from fifteen years in the future, and believes that Haruka has this object, and .

The second television anime series based on Yusei Matsui's Assassination Classroom will premiere in 2016. Funimation streamed the first series as it aired in Japan.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/68824946 (Reaction to Speed is at 1:20:30)

VERY excited for this, surprising that Sentai didn't get it but that's okay because we're still FINALLY getting an uncut release here with the original Mach GoGoGo and on Blu-ray (with the Japanese HD masters as seen here) so I'll be looking forward to buying. Since it looks like they're including the old dub, I hope they pitch-correct it because the show had been airing on TV sped up ever since the late 90s and IIRC, was the same way on the previous Lionsgate DVDs.

As for Noein, no interest here but it's nice to know that another Manga US title got rescued and I expect this new release to look better than the old DVDs.

Here's a comparison with Noein's Japanese BDs & the Manga US DVDs.

hissatsu wrote:
(DVD screenshots bicubic resized to 1920x1080)

01 R1DVD | BD
02 R1DVD | BD
03 R1DVD | BD
04 R1DVD | BD
05 R1DVD | BD
06 R1DVD | BD
07 R1DVD | BD
08 R1DVD | BD
09 R1DVD | BD
10 R1DVD | BD
11 R1DVD | BD
12 R1DVD | BD
13 R1DVD | BD
14 R1DVD | BD
15 R1DVD | BD
16 R1DVD | BD
17 R1DVD | BD
18 R1DVD | BD
19 R1DVD | BD

Post subject: Re: FUNimation rescues Speed Racer (original series) & Noein
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

•Speed Racer: Complete Collection (DVD) - 1300 minutes - $24.98 (Retail) - 5/30/17 [Dub-only]
•Speed Racer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 1300 minutes - $29.98 (Retail) - 5/30/17 [Dub-only]

Quote:
Subtitles: English Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired

As for Noein, both Limited & Regular Editions were released in January of last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:38 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
https://youtu.be/IY9YNF5MMQo OH BOY

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:54 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
So what happened to this release including the original Japanese?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:06 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Princess Viola wrote:
So what happened to this release including the original Japanese?

Probably going to be on a separate release.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
No more rapid dialogues, and random "ha-ha's". :(

Edit: Oh wait, I saw that it does come with the English audio. Ha- Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

This confirms that they fixed the PAL audio problem while using the HD masters so that's good to know. :)

EDIT:

https://www.speedracergogogo.com/about

Quote:
ABOUT THE SERIES

Brought to the United States in 1967 under the name Speed Racer, the endearing classic originated in Japan with the title Mach GoGoGo. In 1997, Japan aired a new, 34-episode remake known as Mach GoGoGo: Restart.

Speed Racer 1967: 52-episodes, English audio.
Mach GoGoGo 1967: 52-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.
Mach GoGoGo: Restart 1997: 34-episodes, Japanese audio with subtitles.

This confirms that FUNi has the 1997 show as well.

Post subject: Re: FUNimation rescues Speed Racer (1967 & 1997 series) & Noein
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The 1997 series is the one that aired on Nickelodeon back in the day, right? I barely remember it being anything memorable. I'll never forget one episode had Trixie sneak into the men's locker-room, and spy on Racer X while he was showering. I thought it was such a funny, extremely fetish-y scene you'd only find in anime. P-:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:41 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 98&page=24
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=555

There are reports of audio dropouts in some episodes (starting at the first linked post & later pages) and as for the old pitch issue, it's still present in most of the episodes except on the opening & ending. Looking at episode 1 on their website also confirms the latter.

In other news

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/05 ... home-video

Quote:
Important Update on Speed Racer Home Video

May 31, 2017

We’re extremely excited about bringing Speed Racer to fans, and pre-orders have already been moving fast! Owning the complete series of Speed Racer on Blu-ray or DVD is a great way to see it again, or introduce new fans to this loved title.

For both of these packages, we’re including the original 52 episodes of Speed Racer, with the English audio from the 1967 broadcast run. Fans will note there is an error on the Blu-ray packaging only, as it indicates Japanese audio with English subtitles is also present – this is incorrect. The DVD packaging has the correct audio indicated.

We correct this issue on future prints of the packaging for the Blu-ray version, although some copies will be released with the incorrect audio/subtitle indication. For any fans that have issues or questions about this release, you’re welcome to contact our Customer Service team.

And, for fans still looking for more, we have the collectors’ edition including both Speed Racer and Mach GoGoGo releasing later this year! Stay tuned for more Speed Racer news!

It looks like the Japanese Mach GoGoGo series will be exclusive to the Collector's Edition which won't be the first time they did something like this since they did something similar with the Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya ONAs where the Blu-ray release was exclusive to the Haruhi Ultimate Collector's Edition while the separate release was DVD-only (which is dumb for something that was produced in HD and only on 1 disc).

One thing I do still wonder about and that's the 1997 series. It recently got released on Blu-ray in Japan but unlike the original in HD, this series is in SD and FUNi has never done SD Blu-ray releases before (with anime over here, only Discotek has with both Samurai Pizza Cats & Wizard of Oz dubs but Japan has been getting more in recent months) so will they start now for this set, upscale it themselves (or push for Japan to upscale it for them like with Wolf's Rain) or release on DVD-only like they're doing with the Record of Lodoss War TV series (bundled with the OVA BDs)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:12 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

Ridiculous! :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That is extremely tempting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The head looks a bit scary. lol I think it'd look much better if it were a bust instead. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't know why Funimation released that cheap dub only Blu Ray boxset if they planned on releasing it together with the sub later in the year anyawy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
I don't know why Funimation released that cheap dub only Blu Ray boxset if they planned on releasing it together with the sub later in the year anyawy.

For the non-anime fans who only cares about the dub and would rather buy it for cheap. It's pretty smart to be fair plus Shout Factory did something similar with Power Rangers in 2013 when they released the $650 Legacy helmet set with MMPR-Megaforce while in the middle of releasing the Lightspeed Rescue-Dino Thunder box set (MMPR-Lost Galaxy was already out and SPD-RPM came out in it's own set later).

Speaking of Power Rangers, here's a look at that helmet because if the Speed head is the final packaging, this might give a good idea what that may look like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

FUNimation wrote:
READY SET, GO! GO! GO!

Speed Racer dreams of becoming a professional racer. When meddling crooks keep him from the finish line, he finds a way to make it through. An endearing classic since 1967, Speed Racer has captivated audiences from every corner of the globe. Preserve one of the most beloved racing shows of all time and share it with generations to come. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the series, the Collector’s Edition will come complete with Speed Racer, Mach Go Go Go, and Mach Go Go Go: Restart in the first-ever official U.S. release of the Japanese audio.

Collector’s Edition includes the following:

•Collectible Speed Racer Bust with Sound Effects
•Complete 1967 Speed Racer Collection on DVD and Blu-ray
•Complete 1967 Mach Go Go Go Collection on DVD and Blu-ray
•Complete 1997 Mach Go Go Go Restart Collection on DVD
•Collectible Speed Racer Key Chain
•Bonus: 2017 Interview with Trixie voice actor Corinne Orr

26 discs (10 BDs & 16 DVDs) in packaging confirmed to be exactly like the Power Rangers helmet.

I don't understand why they didn't try releasing an SD Blu-ray for the 97 show like Japan did. The format has been proven to sell here for Discotek (and since my previous post from June, another SD Blu-ray was announced, this time for Fist of the North Star on 3 discs which many, myself included, are excited for) plus with it being 34 episodes, they can fit all of it on a single BD50 with no problems.

As for the whole set, I think I'll pass, if that's really the only way to own both subbed Mach Go Go Go adaptations then so be it, I just will not own either show. If I'm lucky FUNi will get them streamed on Crunchyroll through their current deal but I will not buy those discs if it means buying that thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I can't imagine how those discs won't get majorly scratched in such a bizarre get-up like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:13 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... bld-00594/
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Speed-Ra ... lu-Ray-DVD

>$300 for a single head

Crunchyroll please save us.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't know why Funimation thinks most anime fan has the money to afford to spend on a $300 cartoon. I'm not sure even most Aniplex titles are that expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Speed Racer The Scalper's Edition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:

Too bad I can't watch the clip from where I am. :(

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Try this:

https://www.youpak.com/watch?v=hjgIB8OPmJs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
NJ_ wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Try this:

https://www.youpak.com/watch?v=hjgIB8OPmJs

Thx, :) but still can't play it - maybe it's just my device's problem or something. :confused:

My J-pop thread