Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Has anyone seen Death Note?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one that cheered when light got killed that sadistic creep got what he deserved although I do love L and Miss Amane

Reactions:

Anime: Knew it... (was previously spoiled in YouTube comments :| )
Movies: Of course...though why drag it?
TV Drama: Holy crap... (they changed up the way he died here)

Same with me with the anime . I mean was any really surprise that he was killed ? The evilsadist psychopath got what he deserved . :keke:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Thank god I was able to finish the anime before I got too lazy. (Still 2 animes waiting for me to watch since very long)
Did not got into DN fandom much but from what I've seen, guess I'm in the very minority who could empathize with Light very well. Coincidentally I experienced a total liar who thought to have fooled me today. I choose to be quiet because else wouldn't have any benefits on me. Giving up on justice, isn't that an extreme degeneration? Okay this is more of a self reckoning and ceasing that here for further derailing the topic.
If you ask that would you do the same punishment as Light does? Impossible. I'd love to have superpowers in order to toy with guilties as I wish instead. DN is a great story imo and I like L too but I don't see the fanaticism on him. This story is nowhere near black and white.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I just started watching Death Note with my friends to prepare for the new Netflix show, which looks terrible.

I watched about 26 episodes of Death Note when it first aired and then gave up when the show started being awful, but upon watching it again now...I think it's all pretty much terrible, to be honest. Melodramatic, "edgy" for the sake of being edgy, seems to deal with "dark" and "mature" themes but that's only on the surface. It's a boring cat-and-mouse game with two geniuses figuring out each other's moves back and forth, and that just becomes tiresome to watch. :(

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Yes, of course, it's awesome!
Definitely, watch it for the people that have not done so already.
The first season was MUCH better than the second one tho...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:58 pm 
Gurges Ater
Gurges Ater
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nope.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
lauraLovesAnime wrote:
Yes, of course, it's awesome!
Definitely, watch it for the people that have not done so already.
The first season was MUCH better than the second one tho...

There was no season 2 though. They are all the same series

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So I finished Death Note the other day, and to be honest...I have very mixed thoughts. I gave it a 6/10 on My AnimeList.

SPOILERS ABOUND in case anyone is worried...this is a spoiler review.

My issues, in no particular order:

1) It's too long. The original manga author clearly didn't know when to end the story, so we ended up having that awful arc that takes place in late 2012/early 2013 (so there's a timeskip). It introduces Mello and Near, and their existence is just so unnecessary. Here's the caveat, though: I like Near, and I find him to be a bit more endearing than L, but if you look at the series critically...the show could have ended at episode 26 (with Light dying instead of L) with no need for the future arc. We did not need to see how the world would be 5 or 6 years later with Kira still killing people. I think something like that is better left to the audience's imagination.

2) There's no one to root for. Light is a villain and he's also a sociopath/serial killer. L is technically the "hero" but he uses such a boring trope of having some weird, quirky, possibly autistic child being presented as a genius or a world-famous detective. Basically, Light is awful and L is annoying (not to mention characters like Misa are also terrible), so I didn't know who to root for. Mello was useless. Near should not have existed but I at least liked him a bit more than L (something about playing with toys all the time and being co-dependent while figuring out murder mysteries is more endearing to me than L and his weird way of sitting and picking things up). Basically, I was rooting for the cops: Chief Yagami, Mogi, Aizawa, Matsuda, etc. They were the real heroes of the story and they were my favorite characters.

3) The series can be re-imagined/re-conceptualized to last only 12 episodes. No L, no Near/Mello, no Misa -- just Light and his father working against one another in 12 episodes. Raye Penber's fiance should have played a bigger role because she represents the one thing that Light overlooked: that his actions have effects on other people BESIDES the people he's killing (and the effects are more than just teaching people to not commit crimes). She represents Kira's fatal flaw -- his arrogance and pride -- and instead of fleshing this out and having her be an important character, they kill her off right away. Meanwhile, having the central conflict center on Light and his father with Chief Yagami being unaware of his son's identity as Kira would have been a much more personal conflict than Light vs. L -- they touched on this briefly in the show, but it was overshadowed by other elements.

4) It's way too melodramatic. The choir songs are overused. The last episode is DREADFUL and presents Light's death as that of a hero's.

5) Mikami was pointless and only existed to have a character "screw up" and it's annoying that Light's downfall ends up being because of someone else messing up and not him himself messing up (which he did earlier on...but he fixed it, unfortunately).

6) I don't think the show has aged well. It just "looks" like a show from the mid-late 2000s. There are a lot of 90s anime out there that "look" like 90s anime shows, but for some reason that style seems more timeless to me. Death Note looks dated and the drab color scheme doesn't do it any favors.

7) I like the tone in the first story arc -- cops vs. a mysterious killer who secretly has a supernatural ability or tool -- but by the end of the story, both the SPK and the "task force" are all aware of the Death Notes and the Shinigami, so the feeling of the supernatural vs. the mundane is lost. This is especially apparent when Chief Yagami gets the Shinigami Eyes. We had a character who represented old-school values, a police detective, a veteran of the force -- it seemed unusual to have such a character be so down for a supernatural Faustian deal.

8 ) The second opening is still embarrassingly terrible.

9) Honestly, watching two geniuses always be two or three steps ahead of each other is boring to me.

At the same time, though...I sort of enjoyed watching it. Is it possible for a show to be both exciting and boring at the same time? I think I just like the *concept* of the show even though I think it really fails to deliver. I want to give the manga a chance but I hear it's pretty close to the anime.

Death Note is a show that tries to be dark, edgy, and mature -- but it's ultimately about an extremely childish person who obtains power and immediately develops a God-complex. While he gets what's coming to him in the end, the show goes out of its way to present Light as almost a martyr. He's a genius, he's cocky as hell, and he's arrogant. I would have liked the show a lot more if the cops were the main characters

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:48 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
John wrote:
Death Note is a show that tries to be dark, edgy, and mature -- but it's ultimately about an extremely childish person who obtains power and immediately develops a God-complex. While he gets what's coming to him in the end, the show goes out of its way to present Light as almost a martyr. He's a genius, he's cocky as hell, and he's arrogant. I would have liked the show a lot more if the cops were the main characters

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
chrissifniotis wrote:
John wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

LOL I'm glad someone agrees! I was nervous while typing that up because Death Note has some seriously dedicated fans out there.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The death was more pathetic for Light in the manga . He was actually begging for Ryuk to kill them

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
John wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:
John wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

LOL I'm glad someone agrees! I was nervous while typing that up because Death Note has some seriously dedicated fans out there.

:lol: No worries. Personally I only saw up to the death of L, but really that's when I had to stop.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am 
Luna
Luna
imaginationgirl wrote:
The death was more pathetic for Light in the manga . He was actually begging for Ryuk to kill them

That's very interesting! In that case, I'm definitely going to check out the manga LOL.

chrissifniotis wrote:
:lol: No worries. Personally I only saw up to the death of L, but really that's when I had to stop.

Yeah that was when I stopped back when I first watched Death Note in 2007 (holy crap that was 10 years ago, jeezus). The only reason my friends and I wanted to watch it is because we want to prepare for the new Netflix movie coming out soon, and I realized I never finished it.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
First off, Light Yagami is hot. :blush: :love: Second, I think Light is crazy. I mean if he actually won he'd probably start killing off anyone who didn't obey him. :o I'd still love to see an OVA showing Light winning the final battle. :innocent: Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it say somewhere in the 13th manga volume that a year after Light died that Misa committed suicide? :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
http://fantasiafestival.com/festival/en ... /films/868

Looks like FUNimation has the license to the 2016 Light up the NEW world movie and if it's anything like the 3 live-action Rurouni Kenshin films (screened at conventions from 2013-2015, license officially announced, screened in theaters & released on DVD/BD from 2016-2017) then it won't be out for a while. I don't expect FUNi to bring back the anime/movie dub cast because Viz had them done at Ocean in Canada plus aside from any flashbacks, the only living character to return for this was Misa so unlike with Black Lagoon, there's no real need for them to send it up there. I do hope they get the extras though like they did for Kenshin, especially the New Generation episodes that streamed on Hulu in Japan before the film premiered since they are supposed to bridge the gap between that movie and The Last Name.

Speaking of The Last Name, I wonder if they have the other 3 movies as well because it's believed that Viz let the licenses expire in around 2014 and L Change The WorLd got a Blu-ray release for the first time in Japan back in October (at the same time as the anime's JP Blu-ray upscale and the other 2 movie's re-releases) so they may have something to gain bringing those back here since in addition to L, the double feature set has been out-of-print for a while.

As for the 2015 series, no news on that yet except that it got licensed & released in France a few months back by Kaze.

http://anime.kaze.fr/produit/death_note_drama_br

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:
http://fantasiafestival.com/festival/en/2017/films-schedule/films/868

Looks like FUNimation has the license to the 2016 Light up the NEW world movie and if it's anything like the 3 live-action Rurouni Kenshin films (screened at conventions from 2013-2015, license officially announced, screened in theaters & released on DVD/BD from 2016-2017) then it won't be out for a while. I don't expect FUNi to bring back the anime/movie dub cast because Viz had them done at Ocean in Canada plus aside from any flashbacks, the only living character to return for this was Misa so unlike with Black Lagoon, there's no real need for them to send it up there. I do hope they get the extras though like they did for Kenshin, especially the New Generation episodes that streamed on Hulu in Japan before the film premiered since they are supposed to bridge the gap between that movie and The Last Name.

Speaking of The Last Name, I wonder if they have the other 3 movies as well because it's believed that Viz let the licenses expire in around 2014 and L Change The WorLd got a Blu-ray release for the first time in Japan back in October (at the same time as the anime's JP Blu-ray upscale and the other 2 movie's re-releases) so they may have something to gain bringing those back here since in addition to L, the double feature set has been out-of-print for a while.

As for the 2015 series, no news on that yet except that it got licensed & released in France a few months back by Kaze.

http://anime.kaze.fr/produit/death_note_drama_br

Ah I hope Viz release te drama, and oif dubbed use the sane cast as the old dub .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^Don't count on it, Viz stopped licensing live-action here a long time ago as the last time they did was with the two Gantz movies in 2010 (which already had preexisting Filipino dubs) and they stopped sending dubs to Canada as well with the last one being the InuYasha sequel so it probably would have been dubbed elsewhere regardless if they get it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:41 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
A first look at Viz's release of the huge omnibus.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Death-No ... tion-Manga

In stores September 5th but it looks like Right Stuf has them in stock now. Surprising that it's $30 ($40 retail price) because these omnibus manga usually cost more depending on how many volumes are in them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:
A first look at Viz's release of the huge omnibus.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Death-No ... tion-Manga

In stores September 5th but it looks like Right Stuf has them in stock now. Surprising that it's $30 ($40 retail price) because these omnibus manga usually cost more depending on how many volumes are in them.

I think I will buy it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I saw some of the anime, and I saw two of the live-action movies from 2006.