Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Pretty Cure Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Now I wish Saban would finally invest in some Glitter Force merchandise. I would love to own some Pretty Cure plushies and I know GE has expressed interest in it when I asked them if they would on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Now I wish Saban would finally invest in some Glitter Force merchandise. I would love to own some Pretty Cure plushies and I know GE has expressed interest in it when I asked them if they would on Twitter.

Indeed. One would imagine Bandai themselves would leap bounds to answer the call. :neutral:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I've never seen Doki Doki but I guess this means Glitter Force was a big success for Saban if they're going through with dubbing more. I'm not a big fan of the Glitter Force dub but I'm glad to see magical girl anime doing well in the U.S. finally as it seems like most previous attempts always failed to take off like Tokyo Mew Mew and Doremi. I hope Saban will start investing in some Glitter Force merchandise and home video rights too.

Well in Tokyo Mew Mew case their raitings were well .The only reason 4 kids didn't complete the series . Becuase they couldn't finnd any merchandise tie ins for the show,. No merchandise = no profit .

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
Well in Tokyo Mew Mew case their raitings were well .The only reason 4 kids didn't complete the series . Becuase they couldn't finnd any merchandise tie ins for the show,. No merchandise = no profit .

Actually, I heard it had something to do with a dispute from Studio Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
matt0044 wrote:
Well, at least they didn't go with Gangnam Girls. Christ, what a mess that'd be...

That'd be ridiculously hilarious. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
matt0044 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

The person I got the information from is a huge TMM mew fan. Who talk to 4kids themselves . I tend to belive her since the person is heavy with the reserch. Ironically it finish dubbing in France with the mew mew power name. P-:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:50 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

The person I got the information from is a huge TMM mew fan. Who talk to 4kids themselves . I tend to belive her since the person is heavy with the reserch. Ironically it finish dubbing in France with the mew mew power name. P-:

I guess TMM wasn't very big in Japan, hence the lack of merchandise? :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:57 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... hp?t=23179
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... t-finished

The Pierrot dispute story with Mew Mew came from someone who was at a tour of Japan back in 2006.

As for the "no toy deal" story, that apparently came from Tom Wayland, who directed that dub.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... post311956
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... post311988

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The anime got great ratings on 4Kids TV (though according to the voice director, Tom Wayland, all 4Kids cared about was selling toys), and the manga was a big enough hit for Tokyopop for Kodansha USA to rescue it.

I did talk with Tom Wayland on Facebook once, and he told me 4Kids saw little value in getting the second season because the show was seen as too short (52 episodes) by the toy companies they were pitching to, and there was no merchandising interest. He says it's a shame because he enjoyed his time directing the show. I also talked with Erica Schroeder, who voiced Bridget, and she said she wasn't too sure why it was canceled, but thinks it was because it was because it performed low with boys.

Since so many foreign dubs were based directly off the 4Kids dubs, they were also short-lived as a result.

That "too short" comment sounds similar to the 65 episode syndication rule from the 80s (see why Robotech, Macron 1 & Captain Harlock And The Queen of A Thousand Years were formed). If that was still a thing with certain toy companies in the mid-2000s then I would be shocked.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Yah that was similar what Hikia said .Instead she got the informatoion from the voice actor mini mew P-:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.ph ... count=1232

Welcome back to 1995 (& earlier) when splicing separate episodes together into one was a thing, guess that explains why it's 30 episodes this time.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
https://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.php?p=5397029&postcount=1232

Welcome back to 1995 (& earlier) when splicing separate episodes together into one was a thing, guess that explains why it's 30 episodes this time.

*clears throat* I beg your pardon but I would very much prefer those sources please before settling on a conclusion. Was there a recent leak or something? It doesn't really explain much...

That being said, as somebody who enjoyed Little Battlers Experience both dubbed and subbed, I have come to be quite open-minded to English adaptations that take more than a few liberties even when I give them the business for pulling this random crap.

I've seen movies adapted from books that tend to deviate significantly yet the finished product tends to be interesting to say the least. Similarly, I gave Robotech a shot knowing its reputation and found it exceeding my expectations for an 80s dub.

I know, I know. How dare I give such unfaithful English dubs the benefit of the doubt? Well, I won't stop you from unloading your salt on Saban but I can say that I'm intrigued how they could make a potential narrative restructuring work. DiC mainly screwed up "Day of Destiny" because a lot of it reeked of a rushjob that had little thought put into how it'd work as an story itself.

I think rebochan spoke about this before.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Robotech was dubbed in the 80s when combining multiple anime was a common practice. I think even most dub fans would be upset if anyone tried to combine three separate shows into one nowadays. Harmony Gold is also now abusing their Robotech license to hold any future Macross shows hostage and prevent other companies from licensing newer Macross shows while not doing anything with the show for decades, so I don't think defending Harmony Gold is all that good of a defense to use here. But most modern anime dubs for kids have not combined episodes for decades so this is really a step backward for anime dubs. Other Saban dubs like Digimon never once combined episodes and even the infamous 4Kids never once did it. So if the rumors are true, Saban will have become even worse than 4Kids and I will have lost a lot of respect for them as someone who has enjoyed their Digimon dubs a lot over the years.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:06 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Honestly while combining episodes is cheaper .I'm still very disappointed of them doing it.If they want to cut cost just simple skip filler episodes .

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
So if the rumors are true, Saban will have become even worse than 4Kids

Yeaaaah, as someone who's seen the current YGO Arc-V dub along with Smile's dub, I can't help but respectfully disagree with that even if I am wary of how Doki Doki will turn out whether or not this rumor actually pans out.

I mean, for all we know a fifth season could come along for Doki. Think about it, what if they got a 15 episodes per season deal going on and Doki Doki will have Season 5 to finish out the dub? If it's 30 episodes for Season 3 and 4, Season 5 could pick up the final 19 episode with 15 picked. Doing the math that 4 episodes left out.

I'd imagine they don't want to spread so much time restructuring entire storylines if they can help it since merely translating and adapting scripts in a lot less time consuming compared to combining that many episodes.

Well, that's my crackpot theory. Let's see if I'm proven wrong in the next few months or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/05/sab ... animation/

Quote:
Saban Brands has given the trademark for the Pretty Cure dub, Glitter Force, to Toei Animation.

Glitter Force was first trademarked by Saban Brands in June, 2013 as a new title for the company’s proposed dub of the Japanese Toei Animation franchise Pretty Cure, otherwise known as PreCure. Glitter Force would eventually air exclusively via Netflix on December 18th, 2015.

On May 2nd, 2017, it appears that Saban Brands has given the trademark to Toei Animation, the original creator of the PreCure brand. This lead many to speculate that Saban Brands no longer has an interest in the franchise. The pass in trademark gives full rights to the brand names to Toei Animation for future adaptations, dubs, and merchandizing partnerships.

In other words, if Toei continues the dubs under the Glitter Force name from Happiness Charge onwards, they can do a better job (see their previous effort with First Pretty Cure which was good) so until then, enjoy 2 years of Saban's Doki Doki dub.

Speaking of Doki Doki...

https://www.netflix.com/title/80175619

Screencap

Quote:
Starring: Stephanie Sheh, Melissa Fahn, Debi Derryberry

I take it Debi's voicing a Cure this time? It would make the most sense since she was only a mascot in Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
It's disappointing to me that in spite of the success of Wonder Woman, outside of Sailor Moon, magical girl anime still can't make it big in the U.S. outside of hardcore otaku audiences. I was also hoping to get some American Glitter Force merchandise out of this like GE did for Sailor Moon. GE said they were interested in making Glitter Force plushies for the U.S. if Saban had approached them about it when I asked them about any potential merchandise in the U.S. I hope we can still at least get a DVD release of Glitter Force just so I can have something Pretty Cure related in my anime collection even if I'm not as fond of the dub. But it isn't realistic for Saban to just drop Glitter Force on Netflix and expect it to be a huge hit without any merchandising or promoting. Did they even have any Glitter Force presence at anime cons? I think I could have got more on board with their dub if they toned down the localization because the English voice cast was pretty high quality from what I saw of the dub. But Saban already alienated the existing established older Pretty Cure fanbase too much and did nothing to market it to younger casual audiences.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Please, please TOEI... Give back the rights of Precure to Rai!!!! I want to see Suite, Go!Princess and Maho Tsukai in italian! But with their Precure names, not with these Glitter Force crap. Sorry about the rant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:43 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Guys they probably gave them western names becaus its gear towards little girld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
This is kinda old news from way back in May.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Neon Genesis wrote:
It's disappointing to me that in spite of the success of Wonder Woman, outside of Sailor Moon, magical girl anime still can't make it big in the U.S. outside of hardcore otaku audiences.

This is truly disappointing, really sad that other magical girl anime aside from Madoka aren't popular here in America! :blue:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So can we now stop this argument that heavily Americanizing kid's anime is the only way to make them a success in the U.S.?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
KiraKira turned out to be not as great as I expected to. The show is already halfway through and nothing important really happened except for the whole thing between Kirarin and Julio but that was pretty much what happened in Go Princess with Kanata and Towa. Also the whole animal motif is completely forgotten. They used their animal traits only in their debut episodes. The pink cure is second Mana, always in the center of everything but she is much more likeable than her. The others don't really get much screen time. Animation is not very good, either (even for Precure standarts). I hope it will get better in the second part when the story starts progressing more.
That's it for Kirakira.
On the other hand I'm watching Happiness Charge now and I have to say that I don't really understand why everyone tend to hate this season so much. I have watched it till episode 22 and I think that it's pretty good.
Cure Princess is one of the most relatable cures ever. I really like her. Honey is just adorable and I love how badass is Fortune. I don't like Lovely as much as the others (which I found surprising because pink cures are usually my favorite) but she isn't a bad character. I just don't find her to be as charming as the others but I hope that she will shine, too.
Yeah, it's true that this season kind of copied Heartcatch but that's not a reason to hate it. There are still many differences and later on it really starts to shine on its own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
It's disappointing to me that in spite of the success of Wonder Woman, outside of Sailor Moon, magical girl anime still can't make it big in the U.S. outside of hardcore otaku audiences.

This is truly disappointing, really sad that other magical girl anime aside from Madoka aren't popular here in America! :blue:

It dosen't surprise me I the slightest . Hardly any magical girl anime get dubs, and are aired o tv. The problem is demographic. You need to find an audience. In Japan magical girls are usually kid shows. But they have certain stuff in there that is not appropriate for American children.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MoonRaito wrote:
KiraKira turned out to be not as great as I expected to. The show is already halfway through and nothing important really happened except for the whole thing between Kirarin and Julio but that was pretty much what happened in Go Princess with Kanata and Towa. Also the whole animal motif is completely forgotten. They used their animal traits only in their debut episodes. The pink cure is second Mana, always in the center of everything but she is much more likeable than her. The others don't really get much screen time. Animation is not very good, either (even for Precure standarts). I hope it will get better in the second part when the story starts progressing more.
That's it for Kirakira.
On the other hand I'm watching Happiness Charge now and I have to say that I don't really understand why everyone tend to hate this season so much. I have watched it till episode 22 and I think that it's pretty good.
Cure Princess is one of the most relatable cures ever. I really like her. Honey is just adorable and I love how badass is Fortune. I don't like Lovely as much as the others (which I found surprising because pink cures are usually my favorite) but she isn't a bad character. I just don't find her to be as charming as the others but I hope that she will shine, too.
Yeah, it's true that this season kind of copied Heartcatch but that's not a reason to hate it. There are still many differences and later on it really starts to shine on its own.
Many fans despise HappinesCharge because of its romantic sub-plot in the second half(I don't want to spoil you what exactly it is about and what characters are involved). I agree about KiraKira, Also the fights are pretty lame in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Regarding Happiness Charge, it's also because of the production. Back in 2014, Toei was working on 7 other shows at the same time (one of them being Sailor Moon Crystal) so they spread their resources thin to the point where they had to get one of their fastest but also worst animators to both work on and be in charge of a good majority of the season which led to some bad looking episodes (see episode 10) & also bad portions of some of the show's opening & stock footage. Happiness Charge was clearly rushed because at the time they started to work on the show, they had to pull the director, Tatsuya Nagamine, from another show he was directing at the time (Saint Seiya Omega season 2) and get someone else to take over for that show's second half.

Between this, the mentioned plot issues (which btw, there's more to that story, click here if you don't care about spoilers) and the fact that they had just come off a bad season in Dokidoki, Happiness Charge was a real bust which is a shame because this was supposed to be the 10th Anniversary season and they had a decent director for it (Nagamine directed Heartcatch Precure and that's considered by many to be the best) plus I was glad they got Megumi Han to voice a Cure at the time that it was announced (daughter of Luna's 90s seiyuu & was still voicing Gon in Hunter x Hunter at the time) so it's a real shame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MoonRaito wrote:

I'm watching Happiness Charge, too! I love it so far. I've watched the first 4 episodes. The reasons why a majority of Pretty Cure hate this season are explained for you in the above posts. Cure Princess and Cure Honey are adorable! Fortune's great, too. There are similarities to Heartcatch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:36 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Yeah, I understand now why people despise it so much. The first half was very good, though. There were a few bad animated episodes, but it was still quite enjoyable. And I really liked the fights in this season. Now I start watching the 2nd half with the romantic subplot and will see how it will turn out to be. It's a real shame that they had to change the director for the second half :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^The Director change wasn't during Happiness Charge, it was during season 2 of Saint Seiya Omega.

Season 1 (episodes 1-51) - Morio Hatano
Season 2 Part 1 (episodes 52-77) - Tatsuya Nagamine
Season 2 Part 2 (episodes 78-97) - Kouhei Kureta (current director for Kirakira ironically enough)

The sad thing is that Omega season 2 wasn't as good as season 1 (plus s1's finale felt more like a series finale with how that ended) but then this was just another case of Toei shaking up the staff in the middle of Saint Seiya. It happened with the 80s anime after the Sanctuary arc (episodes 1-73) and also happened in the middle of the Hades arc OVAs (along with the voice cast but that was more the manga author's fault) and it turned out for the worst each time.

Back to Happiness Charge, I've heard better things about the movie which was directed by Chiaki Kon (who later went on to direct Sailor Moon Crystal from season 3 onwards) plus I believe some of the stock footage for it was redone so that should be something to look forward to whenever you get around to it.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:21 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
^ Oh, now I get it. I have already watched Happiness Charge's movie and it was one of the best precure movies. Animation was just great. Toei must have spent a lot on this movie. The story was very good, too. Tsumugi is one of the best movie characters in the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MoonRaito wrote:
Yeah, I understand now why people despise it so much. The first half was very good, though. There were a few bad animated episodes, but it was still quite enjoyable. And I really liked the fights in this season. Now I start watching the 2nd half with the romantic subplot and will see how it will turn out to be. It's a real shame that they had to change the director for the second half :(

Keep on enjoying Happiness Charge, MoonRaito! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next