Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:40 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 98 months ago
inactive
Hello everyone, it is I again. I have another general discussion/cheat/whatever for people. "What is your favourite reading material? be it manga, a poem, novel whatever. State what you like, this question came about as I am reading one of my favourite books.

My favourite novels have to be: "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and all three of the "His Dark Material" books by Phillip Pullman.

Manga-wise: Yotsuba&!, Devil May Cry, D.Gray-man and Sailor Moon.

Discuss away :tongue:.

Signature courtesy of Panda-Chan

Post subject: Re: Favourite reading material?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:43 am 
Gurges Ater
Gurges Ater
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
http://sailormoonforum.com
around three hours of reading daily :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:43 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 52 months ago
inactive
I like... comic books! ^_^
But other than that, let's go to something more mature ^_^'

Well, my favorite has to be the "Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman. I've also watched the movie.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:51 am 
inactive
Maraviollantes wrote:
http://sailormoonforum.com
around three hours of reading daily :)

You cheat :tongue:.

Mamo-chan wrote:
Well, my favorite has to be the "Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman. I've also watched the movie.

I despised the movie personally, I found it ruined a good part of the book. Although when I heard Iorek Byrnison in the movie, I was like "YAY!!! GANDALF!!" ^_^'. Ian McKellen is made of awesome.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
I only read Sailor Moon manga, so can't say which is my favorite. I haven't developed any particular liking for manga anyway.

I read post-war British novels mostly.

So my favoruite authors and books are:

1. Kazuo Ishiguro - "An Artist of the Floating World", "When We Were Orphans", and "A Pale View of Hills";
2. Julian Barnes - "Cross Channel", "A History of the World in 10 and 1/2 Chapters", "Metroland";
3. Angela Carter - "The Magic Toyshop", "Nights at the Circus";
4. Graham Swfit - "Waterland";
5. Salman Rushdie - "Satanic Verses", "East and West";
6. Ian McEwan - "Amsterdam", "The Cement Garden";
7. Ben Okri - "Songs of Enchantment".

All the other things I read are the same - postmodernist, postcolonial, and written according to the magical realism convention. :)

I don't like poetry and never did, I do like some of Shakespeare's plays and I especially lie them on-stage, so I often visit the theatre. My favorite is "Hamlet", "Wives of Windsor", "Titus Andronicus", and "Macbeth". :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 97 months ago
inactive
I love theater books. My favorite author is William Shakespeare. However, I like reading mangas (I've read sailor moon, fruits baskets) and comic strip.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 am 
inactive
Queen Eris wrote:
I only read Sailor Moon manga, so can't say which is my favorite. I haven't developed any particular liking for manga anyway.

I read post-war British novels mostly.

So my favoruite authors and books are:

1. Kazuo Ishiguro - "An Artist of the Floating World", "When We Were Orphans", and "A Pale View of Hills";
2. Julian Barnes - "Cross Channel", "A History of the World in 10 and 1/2 Chapters", "Metroland";
3. Angela Carter - "The Magic Toyshop", "Nights at the Circus";
4. Graham Swfit - "Waterland";
5. Salman Rushdie - "Satanic Verses", "East and West";
6. Ian McEwan - "Amsterdam", "The Cement Garden";
7. Ben Okri - "Songs of Enchantment".

All the other things I read are the same - postmodernist, postcolonial, and written according to the magical realism convention. :)

I don't like poetry and never did, I do like some of Shakespeare's plays and I especially lie them on-stage, so I often visit the theatre. My favorite is "Hamlet", "Wives of Windsor", "Titus Andronicus", and "Macbeth". :)

I am used to Shakespeare, so I kind of have to like it XD. I have had to act it out like 3 times ^_^', it was Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and Macbeth. Althought I do love his work, especially those 3 and The Tempest.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:57 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
Hahaha! :D

I don't particualrly like the Tempest because I don't like when shakespeare gets all supernatural with his characters; he's just not too good at it IMO.

I forgot to say that I'm a fan of 19th century French writers and read all of Balzaks novels like twice or more... ^_^' The whole human comedy series. :shocked:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:01 pm 
inactive
Queen Eris wrote:
Hahaha! :D

I don't particualrly like the Tempest because I don't like when shakespeare gets all supernatural with his characters; he's just not too good at it IMO.

I forgot to say that I'm a fan of 19th century French writers and read all of Balzaks novels like twice or more... ^_^' The whole human comedy series. :shocked:

I just liked the story really, the supernatural was a little over the top.

DDAAMMNN :eek:.

Being Romeo in a drama preformance is a nightmare come real.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 35 months ago
inactive
My favourite books are Art of War by Sun Tzu and Romance of Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong.
I also have interest in other historical and classical reading materials like, Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling and Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:38 pm 
inactive
Patchouli Knowledge wrote:
My favourite books are Art of War by Sun Tzu and Romance of Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong.
I also have interest in other historical and classical reading materials like, Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling and Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn.

Sun Tzu was an amazing man, truly a genius. I never read the books but I did play video games revolved around the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Very intresting games, I am sure the novel is great too.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 35 months ago
inactive
BurningCrusade wrote:

Sun Tzu was an amazing man, truly a genius. I never read the books but I did play video games revolved around the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Very intresting games, I am sure the novel is great too.

Actually, Art of War is not a novel. It consists of 13 chapters strategy on battlefield. Some peoples might interpret Art of War as a poem.
If you are interested, I've found a website that have translated version of Art of War. Here you go : http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:46 pm 
inactive
BurningCrusade wrote:

Actually, Art of War is not a novel. It consists of 13 chapters strategy on battlefield. Some peoples might interpret Art of War as a poem.
If you are interested, I've found a website that have translated version of Art of War. Here you go : http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

Thank you very much! :lol:. I will definetly read it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:11 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 78 months ago
inactive
I fail at reading. I read twilight recently but that was it. I like horror and ghost stories but because I'm picky I can't find ones I will like. Maybe when my Mum gets some more of her favourite horror books again,I will read them to see if I like them :) .
My favourite one is 'The secret of crickley hall' though .But I really don't read much. I love manga and comics however.
Sailor Moon, Saint tail , JTHM, Lenore, Zombie Loan, Alice on Dead lines etc. stuff like that. I have strange tastes, my two fave anime and manga genres are Magical girl and Supernatural themed stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 85 months ago
inactive
I like manga quite a bit, trying to get my hands on it is hard though ^_^'

I like magazines, especially drumming ones (duh) My faves at the moment is Drum! and Rhythm. Modern Drummer is okay too. Surfing mags are a fave too- Curl is awesome.
I like reading drum tabliture.

I'm not one who is into reading novels at the moment, although I do have a pretty good collection of books.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 91 months ago
inactive
I love novels and memoirs the most. I could name so many, we'll be here all day. @_@ A recent memoirs I've been reading again is Julie Andrews: A Memoir of my Early Years. My routine read is definitely Tao of Jeet Kun Do by Bruce Lee.

As for graphic novels, I read mostly manga. The good ones, like Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, etc. As for comics...WONDER WOMAN!!!! :mrgreen: I've a huge WW fan, and her issues lately have been getting better and better. I also read She-Hulk, but sadly, she was recently cancelled....again. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:18 pm 
inactive
pinkbubblesnake wrote:
I fail at reading. I read twilight recently but that was it. I like horror and ghost stories but because I'm picky I can't find ones I will like. Maybe when my Mum gets some more of her favourite horror books again,I will read them to see if I like them :) .
My favourite one is 'The secret of crickley hall' though .But I really don't read much. I love manga and comics however.
Sailor Moon, Saint tail , JTHM, Lenore, Zombie Loan, Alice on Dead lines etc. stuff like that. I have strange tastes, my two fave anime and manga genres are Magical girl and Supernatural themed stuff.

Magical girl wise I have only watched SM and CCS. Supernatural D.Gray-Man is definetly up that alley manga-wise (the anime I didn't like).

Horror books can be awesome, if done right. Haven't heard of that book though, might have to check it out.

@DrummerChick: I read only Kerrang and maybe Guitar World. I USED to read Rolling Stones, but now it is all Rap.

@LadyAino: WW is amazing...so is She-Hulk, I used to be really into Marvel. Shame I stopped on comics though.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:23 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 78 months ago
inactive
Its the ghosts of an orpahnage from war-times that are haunting a familly that moved in recently. Very good book. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:24 pm 
inactive
pinkbubblesnake wrote:
Its the ghosts of an orpahnage from war-times that are haunting a familly that moved in recently. Very good book. :)

Oooh, intresting. Definetly my cup of tea, I AM IN!! :P.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 pm 
inactive
BurningCrusade wrote:
@LadyAino: WW is amazing...so is She-Hulk, I used to be really into Marvel. Shame I stopped on comics though.

:love: She is! Go Amazon Princess! :love: She's been a favorite ever since I was a small Aino. :love: She-Hulk is awesome, but shame on Marvel for canceling her issues. :x Since the WW animated movie was such a success, Marvel should capitalize with a animated She-Hulk movie. ^_^' Her cousin hogs practically every direct-to-dvd movie. How about cousin Jennifer get a turn?! Would that be ok?! :x

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 pm 
inactive
Lady Aino wrote:
BurningCrusade wrote:

:love: She is! Go Amazon Princess! :love: She's been a favorite ever since I was a small Aino. :love: She-Hulk is awesome, but shame on Marvel for canceling her issues. :x Since the WW animated movie was such a success, Marvel should capitalize with a animated She-Hulk movie. ^_^' Her cousin hogs practically every direct-to-dvd movie. How about cousin Jennifer get a turn?! Would that be ok?! :x

Go on Lady Aino you tell 'em. Make them all pay for this injustice.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 94 months ago
inactive
I'm mostly a manga reader, though, I haven't been reading as much manga as of lately.

My favorite mangas are Sailor Moon, Yotsuba&! and Kodomo no Jikan. (Yes, Kodomo no Jikan. It's actually really good, if you can get past the loli and the fanservice.)

I currently have a stack of mangas piling up that I still haven't read. ^_^' Hehe...

As for novels, I am reading the Strawberry Panic light novel series. And surprisingly, for a rabid Twilight hater, I enjoy the Night World series by L.J. Smith. Poison by Chris Wooding is another favorite of mine, and when I finish some of the stack of books that I haven't read yet, I plan to get the first novel in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm 
inactive
Panda-Chan wrote:
I'm mostly a manga reader, though, I haven't been reading as much manga as of lately.

My favorite mangas are Sailor Moon, Yotsuba&! and Kodomo no Jikan. (Yes, Kodomo no Jikan. It's actually really good, if you can get past the loli and the fanservice.)

Yeah, Kodomo no Jikan is funny. I stil remember that moment in the new series *cracks up*.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 55 months ago
inactive
Where do I start...

When I was younger, I loved reading novels, it was what I spent 80% of my free time doing. I loved being able to immerse myself into other worlds, especially being so young and slightly romantic, I half thought that a lot of it was real. I wanted to go to Hogwarts.

My favourite books of all time are:
Harry Potter
A Little Princess (I loved this so much, I've read it so many times
The Secret Garden
Fire Bringer (sentient deer ftw)
Just So Stories
Doctor Dolittle (the Eddie Murphy movie sucked so bad comparably)
Animorphs (I so thought this could be happening in our world, it felt so realistic)
Baby Sitters Club (although I'm over that now and have been for a while, but I loved the series so much)

Now I mostly just read this forum, subs on anime, my textbooks for uni (which are interesting in their own way), and magazines. But I will read a novel every now and then.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm 
inactive
Favorite novels:
- "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman
- "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien
- "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling
- "Chronicles of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander
- "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger
- "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck
- "Homeland" by John Jakes
- "American Dreams" by John Jakes

Favorite manga:
- Sailor Moon
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Princess Ai

Other:
- Megatokyo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:30 pm 
inactive
I'm also a huge Nancy Drew fan. =^_^= My favorite mystery books.

I remember my mother buying me vol. 2(Hidden Staircase) when I was 7, in hopes that I would get interested in reading.

It worked. ^_^' A few years later, during my elementary years I was probably the only kid in school that can balance out reading and video games. Surprisingly, I loved reading a lot more. Thank you Nancy, you've done it again. XD

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm 
inactive
hardcoremoonie1 wrote:
Favorite novels:
- "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman
- "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien
- "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling
- "Chronicles of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander
- "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger
- "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck
- "Homeland" by John Jakes
- "American Dreams" by John Jakes

Favorite manga:
- Sailor Moon
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Princess Ai

Other:
- Megatokyo

The Hobbit now that I haven't read in a good while. I should read it again, sadly I have only read the first Harry Potter. I just watched the movies XD, I know very bad of me.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:44 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 55 months ago
inactive
BurningCrusade wrote:
The Hobbit now that I haven't read in a good while. I should read it again, sadly I have only read the first Harry Potter. I just watched the movies XD, I know very bad of me.

Oh yes The Hobbit! That's one of my favourites as well. We had to read it in school, but I already had a copy before I even knew it was going to be on the booklist lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 pm 
inactive
BurningCrusade wrote:

I've read The Hobbit 2-3 years ago. Of all of Tolkien's works, that was the only book that I could easily pick up and read it all within a week. His Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion took me FOREVER to read, as it was heavy on the language. I'm currently struggling to read his Unfinished Tales.

I've read all the Harry Potter books, and seen all the movies up to date. I should probably re-read the books and watch the movies sometime.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:49 pm 
inactive
hardcoremoonie1 wrote:
BurningCrusade wrote:

I've read The Hobbit 2-3 years ago. Of all of Tolkien's works, that was the only book that I could easily pick up and read it all within a week. His Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion took me FOREVER to read, as it was heavy on the language. I'm currently struggling to read his Unfinished Tales.

I've read all the Harry Potter books, and seen all the movies up to date. I should probably re-read the books and watch the movies sometime.

The LOTR and The Hobbit were amazing books for me =D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next