Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BSSM Another Story: Secrets Inside?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 pm 
Gurges Ater
Gurges Ater
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Today I have got a letter from a certain person (BH) with some interesting details concerning possibilities of hidden areas in Another Story game. I cannot say anything for sure about it right now so I just post it here. Comments are welcome. Content of the letter is below.

I don't know if you have seen this before, but I'm contacting you because I have a theory about the Super Famicom-game "Sailor Moon: Another Story" (SMAS). ...

OK, here I go:
I believe, that there are "hidden areas" or "hidden sidequests" in SMAS. I speak of "hidden", because I have the feeling that they aren't accessible due to a failure in the ripping-process (from the cartridge to a ROM-file), which hasn't been noticed. I do not own the original cartridge to check it myself, that's why I seek help. Many months ago (it's over one year now), I made some research and created the following list of facts (or better: oddities):

.) At some points in the game, you have to divide the senshi into parties. You will then play consecutively with every party that you've built before. All, except one: In chapter 5 of the game, after Chibimoon's party has defeated Anshar, all senshi gather at the time-gate. They decide to split up again. The party lead by Sailor Moon is going to defeat Apsu, while the party lead by Sailor Chibimoon is going to bring Usagi's brother Shingo home safely. As before (when the senshi arrived at Crystal-Tokyo for example), you have to form TWO parties, but you only get to play with Sailor Moon's party this time. Sailor Chibimoon's party and her quest NEVER gets playable! Why do you have to form a party for no reason?

.) In chapter 4 of the game, you can revisit all the locations from chapter 2. Turkey is the "headquarter" of the senshi and Switzerland does have a sidequest (the battle against the Dragon and Esmeraude), so apparently everything is OK with these 2 countries. The oddity lies especially in Canada. You can revisit the hidden cave there (which is inhabited by then) and can also enter the castle in the north of this village (in chapter 2 you couldn't do this). Once inside, you will notice that you are in a random-battle area (the battle-screen even has its own background-sprite) and that there is a Luna-P ball near the entrance for saving. There is nothing else to do but that's exactly the strange point: Why make the castle accessible, place a save-point inside, and give the location its own battlefield when there are no bosses, no treasures and no cutscenes at all?

.) Also in chapter 4 of the game, you have to visit the earth-castle on the north-pole (not Queen Beryl's castle, I mean the other one in the West). Inside, you will be hearing a kind of conference in the throne-room. There are 2 treasure-chests next to the throne, but you aren't able to reach them, because 4 persons block the way. You can talk with them all, but no matter what you do, no one will move away. What the heck is going on here?

.) Have a look at the folowing spritesheet (it seems to be an indoor-swimmingpool): http://mitglied.lycos.de/sozaiclub/mate ... lenbad.png
I found it on this website: http://mitglied.lycos.de/sozaiclub/down ... d=34&kid=6
Although it might not be an original spritesheet from the SMAS-ROM (it could be an edited one), it has a ☹ similar graphical design when compared to the other spritesheets inside SMAS. Is this maybe the spritesheet that makes up the "hidden area" I am talking about?

.) Open the SMAS translation-patch or a ready-patched SMAS ROM-file with a hex- or a text-editor (Wordpad will do). Now skim through the file and watch out for clear-text passages. You will find some names of items, special-items and enemies that never appear during the game ('Star Organ' and 'Shadow Kishal' to name just 2 of them). But these things have to be inside the patch for some reason. Where can they be found in the game?

.) In chapter 5 of the game you also visit Apsu's comet where you will face the Oppositio Senshi. Enter the mansion and go straight north to teleport yourself deeper inside. In this next room, you have to go southwards to get to the boss-fights, but you can also go northwards. When you do so, you will pass some archways until you bump into an entrance that you can't get through. Artemis says, that there is a force-field which blocks the way, but hey... Isn't there a way to remove this force-field and see what's behind?

.) At 'FuSoYa's Niche' (http://fusoya.panicus.org/) you could download not only the translation-patch and the map-editor for SMAS, he also had a self-coded "Music Test Patch" for SMAS there for us to download. Unfortunately, FuSoYa seems to have shut down his website. I haven't found other download-resources for the music-patch so far, which is a pity, as this patch reveals another oddity. When applied to a Japanese ROM-file of SMAS, you can play all music tracks from the game like with a jukebox. The strange thing is now, that there is one music-track that never appears in the game. Is this maybe the background-music of the mysterious "hidden area" in SMAS?

.) Every enemy from the first 3 seasons of the anime has its appearance in the game, although I have to admit that this is just my personal feeling. I haven't counted them, so this statement might be wrong as well. Anyway, two major enemies are missing: Where are Allen and Ann, the 2 aliens from the first half of season two? Their tree is here (chapter 4, inside the tower of time), but where are those who came with it?

.) If you compare the filesizes of the ROMs, you will notice that the patched ROM is about 1 MB bigger than the unpatched one. OK, this could have technical reasons (appending the translation patch and adjusting the pointers instead of overwriting huge parts of the original ROM; lower compression of the patched ROM; some other reasons...), but it might be another trace for us to follow. Maybe they messed up the ripping process years ago, and no one noticed it.

So what do you think about my theory? Any hint or clear answer is highly appreciated!

Greetings!
BH

Post subject: Re: BSSM Another Story: Secrets Inside?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:30 pm 
Wow! I didn't think of this many things! I've got two facts to respond to, for now:

Anton-P wrote:
Open the SMAS translation-patch or a ready-patched SMAS ROM-file with a hex- or a text-editor (Wordpad will do). Now skim through the file and watch out for clear-text passages. You will find some names of items, special-items and enemies that never appear during the game ('Star Organ' and 'Shadow Kishal' to name just 2 of them). But these things have to be inside the patch for some reason. Where can they be found in the game?

He's right! And the name of items & their descriptions are in the same order, so I traced it and found the description of Star Organ is "A treasure to give to Mamo-chan".
... Funny, but I think I saw it somewhere in the game... :?

Anton-P wrote:
At some points in the game, you have to divide the senshi into parties. You will then play consecutively with every party that you've built before. All, except one: In chapter 5 of the game, after Chibimoon's party has defeated Anshar, all senshi gather at the time-gate. They decide to split up again. The party lead by Sailor Moon is going to defeat Apsu, while the party lead by Sailor Chibimoon is going to bring Usagi's brother Shingo home safely. As before (when the senshi arrived at Crystal-Tokyo for example), you have to form TWO parties, but you only get to play with Sailor Moon's party this time. Sailor Chibimoon's party and her quest NEVER gets playable! Why do you have to form a party for no reason?

It's a backup party. If Sailor Moon's party loses to Demon Apsu, ChibiMoon runs up and has a second, easier bossfight to gain a second (more cruel) ending. I think many people who have played SMAS know that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
Anton-P wrote:
I believe, that there are "hidden areas" or "hidden sidequests" in SMAS. I speak of "hidden", because I have the feeling that they aren't accessible due to a failure in the ripping-process (from the cartridge to a ROM-file), which hasn't been noticed. I do not own the original cartridge to check it myself, that's why I seek help. Many months ago (it's over one year now), I made some research and created the following list of facts (or better: oddities)

Well I do know of a secret sound test room that required a special patch and I used to have it but then my HDD crashed and I lost it. The room looked very similar to the North Pole and you can walk around the room as Sailormoon and when you step on a tile, you can listen to it's respective song.

Either this room was completely fanmade and was patched into the rom or the sound test actually does exist in the game but was locked away by the developers and became accessible to a 3rd party patch.

And yes, you are right about the throne room where you can't get the chests. I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the title's name.

Last edited by Lord Mala on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Definitely interesting. Does anybody have an original copy of the ROM? If so, it might be possible to look into this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:59 pm 
Daio wrote:
Definitely interesting. Does anybody have an original copy of the ROM? If so, it might be possible to look into this...

Do you mean the original CARTRIDGE? Coz if you're talking about the ROM, the jap version can be downloaded from anywhere... my favourite is http://www.dgemu.com

You'd have to register before downloading it, though. Use the dgemu search to find the ROM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:07 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Anton-P wrote:
Every enemy from the first 3 seasons of the anime has its appearance in the game, although I have to admit that this is just my personal feeling. I haven't counted them, so this statement might be wrong as well. Anyway, two major enemies are missing: Where are Allen and Ann, the 2 aliens from the first half of season two? Their tree is here (chapter 4, inside the tower of time), but where are those who came with it?

I forgot to say something but I noticed the same thing too. Other bad guys that didn't make it were Wiseman, Pharaoh 90 and Metallia(well you sort of did fight her when Beryl transforms but not her demonic skull/phantom form).

Also, look at the Kaorinite battle, she doesn't say a thing. Your in the lab with Tomoe, Mistress 9 and all the sudden you are taken to a battle against her. She just appears out of nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:29 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
the sprite sheet looks a bit off to me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:36 pm 
papillonrose wrote:

Where'd you find it (and have even made it your sign) :?: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 pm 
inactive
SGradeFreak wrote:
papillonrose wrote:

Where'd you find it (and have even made it your sign) :?: :?

what are you talking about? the link in the main post has a link to a sprite sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:44 pm 
Oh, I thought you were talking about your sign pic, the way your post was being displayed :lol:

Hmm... the water graphic is actually better than the average SMAS graphics... is it really found in the SMAS ROM? The rest of the graphics is okay but the water...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:46 pm 
inactive
SGradeFreak wrote:
Oh, I thought you were talking about your sign pic, the way your post was being displayed :lol:

Hmm... the water graphic is actually better than the average SMAS graphics... is it really found in the SMAS ROM? The rest of the graphics is okay but the water...

yeah it looks off. It looks a little bit too updated for the game.

And the graphics in my sign is a little project im working on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 pm 
The one by Chain of Fate? You mentioned you're part of the team developing it... If yes, cut out the *Coming soon* stuff... 2008/9 isn't anytime soon @_@

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:51 pm 
inactive
SGradeFreak wrote:
The one by Chain of Fate? You mentioned you're part of the team developing it... If yes, cut out the *Coming soon* stuff... 2008/9 isn't anytime soon @_@

umm his is not a Pretty guardian sailor moon Rpg.... His is a pretty soldier sailor moon the rpg..

My signature has nothing to do with his game....

Its converning my game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 45 months ago
inactive
Perhaps two of the "mystery items" are those two chests in the prince's castle at the North Pole? If so, maybe they can only be accessed by some cheat or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:57 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
If there's a way to get through solid objects in AS, it might be possible to find out what's inside...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 45 months ago
inactive
Exactly. I remember Chrono Trigger had such a cheat... Hopefully AS does so that we can all check it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:57 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 104 months ago
inactive
I remember the one with the two chests. It was frustrating to not be able to open them >_< I'd really like to see what's inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:01 pm 
Hi everyone!

You're pretty fast! :o
I want to comment the statements that you have written so far:

@SGradeFreak:
There are even more "secret items", not just 'Star Organ'. AFAIR there are also items like 'True Kunzite', 'True Zoisite' and such (need to look inside the patch again 8) ). To me, these look like the "result" when you put the 'Hi'- and the 'Kage'-stones together.
Regarding the "Party"-oddity: I know the thing with the 2 endings, but that's not what I meant. I mean the events that occur IMMEDIATELY after ChibiMoon has defeated Anshar. Apsu has to be defeated twice. The first time in the Tower of time (where she kidnapped Tuxedo Mask), the second time in the basement of the Crystal Palace (where she has merged with Sin to become 'Demon Apsu'). I mean the FIRST battle against Apsu - the oddity lies here, not in the final boss-fight against 'Demon Apsu'.

@Demonic Sailor Moon:
I'm very sure, that the "Sound Test Room" is fan-made. You have to apply the "Music Test Patch" to a (Japanese) SMAS-ROM. After that, load the ROM-file into your emulator, start a new game and step on the red cross to get to the "Sound Test Room". This "Music Test Patch" was apparently coded by FuSoYa (you could download it from his website: http://fusoya.panicus.org/) during the translation-works of SMAS. I don't think, that this special room is an original feature implemented by Angel.
Regarding Kaorinite: AFAIR, she is announced by Dr. Tomoe before showing up.

@mercury22:
Maybe it helps, when you move the 2 treasure-chests in the throne-room to an area which can be accessed by your characters, by using the map-editor from FuSoYa. However, this could perhaps have unwanted "side-effects" which prevent a clear answer.

The easiest way to give a 100%-clear answer would be the original cartridge, played with an original japanese Super Famicom. Does anybody of you have these 2 things?

Well, I see you are quite interested. Keep it going!
BH (the person who came up with this huge list)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:29 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 102 months ago
inactive
Aww, it's sad that there aren't any updates as to how the finds are going. xD It's an unsolved mystery. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Yeah they are weird.

I have a feeling that all of this will be found on the day when Stop N' Swap for Banjo-Kazooie and the Triforce in Zelda: OoT are found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:01 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 105 months ago
inactive
Wow, these are all really interesting. ^_^ I'm currently replaying the game myself, I want to find all these hidden stuff. xD I suppose an RPG would need to have more side quests and stuff than Another Story does, it is all too exact and they wouldn't just have the Esmeraude side quests and no others but maybe they would I don't know, I really hope someone finds out about these. =]

Dana forever. <3 ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:54 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 68 months ago
inactive
I use the emualtor ZSNESW and it has a special code cheat side bar....Maybe some 1{I would have no idea if this is possible} :oops: Could create a Cheat for it where you could walk through anything ^_^.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 am 
inactive
I spent some time looking for some sort of code/cheat that would allow you to walk through things, but I can't find anything. :oops: It looks like someone would have to make it on there own, if that's possible (has no knowledge of code making/hacking).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:11 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 100 months ago
inactive
I have always wondered about the things mentioned by Anton-P but I thought these were some normal bugs...
Anyway, I don't know if making such a cheat code is possible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:15 pm 
Has to be, only someone must know which part of the memory sets what conditions and attributes... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 68 months ago
inactive
-_- my Opinion is you could study the coding and edit certain areas and jsut take out any obstacles in the way of reaching the goal......... :roll: :| :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 78 months ago
inactive
fusoya has a new site :

http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/smrpg/music.html

and WOW i did NOT notice any of these things XD.
well except the chest behind the conference...
i have both the music patch and map editor but ive never tried it out im too lazy but i might try to make the chest area accessible but ill reply if i fail..or just dont know what to do :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:56 am 
inactive
momomoko wrote:
i have both the music patch and map editor but ive never tried it out im too lazy but i might try to make the chest area accessible but ill reply if i fail..or just dont know what to do :oops:

Yea, I just downloaded the map editor, but... it makes no sense to me. :oops: Good luck trying it!=D It'll be interesting to know what happens. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 98 months ago
inactive
OK, but, I haven't undestood yet..., are there secret scenes or not?? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm 
usagi-chan wrote:
OK, but, I haven't undestood yet..., are there secret scenes or not?? :oops:

That's what we're trying to find out.