* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Manga advice! Please! :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:24 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
As a kid I watched the Sailor Moon anime and loved it. I now own most of the show and I am curious about the manga.

Looking it up I have found there arebcurrently two generations out and a third on the way. Please excuse my ignorance, but are all three generations the same storys just translated by different companies?

I also read the first gen is better then the second. That the second is kinda clunky.

Should I scout (haha) for the cheapest deal on the first gen or wait for the third. Also, what kinda of info do we know so far about the third gen.

Fill me in and thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Manga advice! Please! :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:47 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Personally, I don't care much about translations, as long as the censorship is minimum or non-existent.

As far as I know, there are three official versions of the manga in English: Tokyopop, the regular edition released by Kodansha USA, and now the Eternal edition, also released by Kodansha USA.

I have gained great pleasure from reading the Tokyopop version of the manga (that was the first version of the manga, I believe), even though the characters retained their English names. Usagi was named Serena/Bunny.

If you are picky and/or want a luxurious product and/or wish to have access to the best version of the manga officially published in English, I recommend buying the "Eternal" editions, which are currently being published by Kodansha USA. Link here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Better depends on your personal tastes. The release by Kodonsha USA has some translation goofs and can be a bit clunky but the original Tokyopop edition uses the DiC dub names for the first two arcs and all the artwork is reversed, so you won't get Naoko's intention for the artwork. Keep in mind also the Tokyopop edition is also long out of print so you'll have to buy the used copies and I don't know how widely available they are or how expensive used copies can get. I agree with Clow at this point it's probably best to just wait for the upcoming Eternal edition since it will have new cover art and a supposed updated translation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Tokyopop books (first English translation) are also rather flimsy. I bought the first English volume waaaaay back in the day when you could find them in bookstores, and pages started falling out as soon as I started reading it.

It's not a "better" translation than the second (Kodansha) translation -- it has its own issues and certain lines are completely rewritten in nonsensical English, especially in the final arc.

The Kodansha translation has a "stiff" translation that is a bit more literal to the original Japanese. Most Sailor Moon fans will tell you that it's a "bad" translation, which it probably is -- but this is how most manga are translated nowadays.

That said, we are definitely getting an improved translation this time around for the third release, and if it's true to the Japanese version of this release, it will have larger page sizes and amazing paper quality along with restored colored pages. I'd wait for that version if I were you, but if you just wanna read the manga right now, the current Kodansha volumes are perfectly fine. They're not a flawless translation, but they're better than what Tokyopop offered. It's not "clunky" -- it's just a bit too literal.

A lot of the anti-Kodansha release hype was perpetuated by certain vocal fans who have their own websites and are themselves speakers of the Japanese language, such as Brad of Moonkitty.net if you're aware of it. A lot of these types of fans have a lot of self-importance just because they run or ran fansites and they ended up perpetuating this idea that the second translation is somehow wrong or bad. It's not. They're just upset that Sailor Moon wasn't translated as if it were a sacred religious text.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I'm satisfied with the Kodonsha USA edition but I'm not as nitpicky about things like honorifics in the translation like some fans are. But there are some legitimate criticisms of the Kodonsha release beyond it being overly literal. Some of these are downright unprofessional errors that even a casual English speaking fan can catch, like calling Beryl a princess instead of Queen Beryl. The Tokyopop edition isn't perfect either and I think some fans over-romanticize it and gloss over Tokyopop's other shady business aspects in their defense of it. I still stand that it's probably best to wait for the Eternal Edition which I will probably double dip for but the Kodonsha release is fine for casual Moonies that don't know Japanese.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about "Princess Queen Beryl" and "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" etc. :P :P :P

Yes, the Kodansha translation has problems beyond being too literal. That said, I really don't think it's as bad as some people have made it out to be, particularly because the Tokyopop release also had many issues and a bizarre translation in its own right.

I will also be double-dipping (I've bought the manga so many times now, it's way more than double for me lmao) for the new Eternal Edition. It will definitely be nice to have a better English translation, but I would've also been happy with the current Kodansha English translation, warts and errors and all. I think that those people I mentioned in my post tend to view Sailor Moon as better than it actually is (or maybe deserving of more praise than it actually deserves) and so they were offended when they realized that it was translated like any other manga nowadays would be translated -- sloppily and lazily. I'm pretty sure these Sailor Moon fans don't really read many other manga titles in English.

Anyway, I own the Sailor Moon manga in Japanese in various editions/formats so the English version's inevitable screwiness doesn't really bother me, lmao. But for the OP: either wait for the new Eternal Edition if you want the best book quality and an improved translation, but don't let translation concerns distract you from the current Kodansha English version if you just want to read the manga ASAP. There are some issues here and there, but it's not like they just make up or change important plot points and censor things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
If you want to read the manga, I'd get them from a library.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
John wrote:
The Kodansha translation has a "stiff" translation that is a bit more literal to the original Japanese. Most Sailor Moon fans will tell you that it's a "bad" translation, which it probably is -- but this is how most manga are translated nowadays.

That version was translated by Bill Flanagan for the first so many books. It was hardly accurate, but had many problems which is why he was replaced part way through when fans complained.

Anime and Manga should be translated literal to the original Japanese without applying any "personal" style to it. You didn't write the story - the Japanese author did. The translator just needs to convey in English without colloquialisms what the original text says. If the translation seems to have problems, that's because of the original source material. Not the translation. People who can't read Japanese are expecting one experience and are annoyed when reality conflicts with that because they don't like being wrong. That just means their expectations were wrong.

It should be "Oh, so THIS is what it really says? All right then, good to know!"

This doesn't mean a literal translation is bad. It's just like I said - some expected one thing because for so long they thought it was right, and now they're being told it wasn't. Fans will adapt.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
MrShoujo wrote:
John wrote:

That version was translated by Bill Flanagan for the first so many books. It was hardly accurate, but had many problems which is why he was replaced part way through when fans complained.

Anime and Manga should be translated literal to the original Japanese without applying any "personal" style to it. You didn't write the story - the Japanese author did. The translator just needs to convey in English without colloquialisms what the original text says. If the translation seems to have problems, that's because of the original source material. Not the translation. People who can't read Japanese are expecting one experience and are annoyed when reality conflicts with that because they don't like being wrong. That just means their expectations were wrong.

It should be "Oh, so THIS is what it really says? All right then, good to know
This doesn't mean a literal translation is bad. It's just like I said - some expected one thing because for so long they thought it was right, and now they're being told it wasn't. Fans will adapt.
!"I agree but 'i don't literal transalation wouldn't make any sense .So we have to reword it a bit to make sense in English.At the same time they should tried to keep the origial meaning as possible

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
There's no such thing as a literal translation. All translations are the interpretations of the person doing the translating.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:07 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If it was really literal it would sound like Yoda and have weird expressions that don't make sense in them. Like instead of calling the hero weak, the villain would call them "sweet."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 pm 
Luna
Luna
MrShoujo wrote:
John wrote:

It should be "Oh, so THIS is what it really says? All right then, good to know!"

I disagree. While I think a translator should be recognised through their invisibility I think a good translation is one where it isn't obvious that it is a tranlation and that involves using English slang and colloquialisms where appropriate and making sure the meaning is conveyed even if the English language took a different route to getting there.

A bit of adaptation is necessary for any translation.