* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon UK DVD Release Petition
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:16 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
While the US has the new Sailor Moon dvd seasons the UK does not please sign this petition to get Viz Media to finally release the DVDs to the UK market. https://www.change.org/p/sign-here-to-e ... -streaming

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon UK DVD Release Petition
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
As frustrating as it is for the UK Moonies, I don't know how likely it is a petition will be successful. In most cases for popular anime like this where there is already a demand for an official release, the anime industry is probably already aware of the demand and are already probably trying to secure the rights. In the case of Sailor Moon, the license fee is probably too expensive for the UK anime industry to currently afford. American Moonies petitioned Funimation to license Sailor Moon for years and many companies tried to get the rights. But it was always too expensive until Viz was unexpectedly able to afford it. I would say the best way to try and get the series in the UK is to keep supporting official anime releases the best you can, keep buying the UK distributed Sailor Moon merchandise, and bring it up at industry panel Q&As at anime cons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
It is difficult to believe that the U.S. and Australia both have gotten their releases, whereas the UK. has not.

I imagine that the licensing fees are very expensive. :confused:

Now I understand why this UK contact I used to have bought his DVDs from Malaysia or some place else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
1. Petitions never work

2. Viz does not have UK rights, they have a European branch with Kaze but rights over there are different from each other plus Toei has their own branch there as well and I've heard they're VERY difficult to work with.

3. Two of the UK companies have said that they're not interested in Sailor Moon.

Manga UK:
https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/299905058089353216 (posted by Jerome Mazandarani in 2013, as part of a thread regarding their licensing of One Piece)

Quote:
Quote:
you've probably got about a week and then every other tweet'll be "hey manga! wen r u release sailor moons?!?!???!!"

I'd rather slam my testes in the Manga office door than license #SailorMoon. >JM

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/362487720909615105 (also by Jerome and posted in July 2013 as part of a different thread)

Quote:
Quote:
you just know someone, somewhere is going to interpret that as "yes we are licensing Sailor Moon" :p

LOL. I can assure you that the only way we'll license #SailorMoon is if the finished DVDs are given to us free of charge.>JM

MVM:
https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/469546871065960448 (May 2014, days after Viz announced the license)

Quote:
Quote:
do u think either cardcaptors or sailor moon will ever get liecned for the UK

can't speak for anyone else but its nope and nope from us. We brought the original Sailor Moon series here years ago.

https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/489692992408924160 (July 2014)

Quote:
Quote:
Any news regarding the licensing of Sailor Moon for the UK? Been released globally now except here, annoying.

Considering the original series bombed for us we certainly won't be chasing it.

https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/856906811588444161 (April 2017 which is recent)

Quote:
Quote:
please release #SailorMoon Season 1 on Blu-Ray!

Unfortunately we have no plans to release this.

MVM originally released the old dub back in the day and it flopped so badly that it almost killed them so they have a good reason to not want it again, even with the new dub & subs. As for Manga, those responses may have also had to do with their dealings with Toei because Toei is one of the most difficult companies to deal with as far as licensing is concerned and this extends to all of their shows and I've heard their European branch is even worse in comparison.

When they licensed DBZ in 2011, it took A LOT of convincing.

https://twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz/status ... 2118400000
https://twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz/status ... 1312889856
https://twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz/status ... 3986367489
https://twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz/status ... 9250778112
https://twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz/status ... 7529131008

Jerome Mazandarani (in July 2015) wrote:
That isn't my fault and it isn't Manga's fault. I'm serious. You have no idea how long and how hard I fought to get the DBZ license for the UK. Do you know why it took so long? Because Toei did not want to license it for DVD b4 they managed to get it back onto TV here. It was only once they realised UK TV channels are crap that we got the deal done. That's what is eternally frustrating to me. I get so much ☹ from "fans" for things that are totally out of my control. That's the boring reality.

I heard similar stories about One Piece which was why Manga didn't officially get the show until 2 years later. If Toei can be that difficult over DBZ, I don't see them being lenient with Sailor Moon, especially with Naoko also involved.

Your only alternative at this point is to import the upcoming Australian Blu-ray sets from Madman because unlike with DVD, both countries share the same Blu-ray region code (Region B) and will play on UK Blu-ray players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Your only alternative at this point is to import the upcoming Australian Blu-ray sets from Madman because unlike with DVD, both countries share the same Blu-ray region code (Region B) and will play on UK Blu-ray players.

Sounds like a plan. Besides, I have heard Madman's Australian release is better than the release VIZ gave us.

And you can import the manga from other English-speaking countries, such as the United States. It shouldn't be that difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 pm 
Gurges Ater
Gurges Ater
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
I imagine that the licensing fees are very expensive. :confused:

This world belongs to the chosen ones who can afford a Porsche, or at least a Ferrari. It's about time those poor beggars from UK and everywhere else learn that. Naoko won't bother to pull her stamp of approval out of her pocket if a deal doesn't bring her at least a few new sport cars for stress relief. :sheep:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:49 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I feel bad for UK fans. Didn't they only get the initial dubbed 65 episodes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Is sailor moon not popular in the UK?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:50 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I'm guessing so, if the DVDs bombed that badly. Although it might have to do with the fact they're dub only?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's possible Manga/Animatsu might be able to make a deal eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Anime Limited is another possibility. They're very fan-friendly, but I don't think they've ever worked with Toei before.

Also, S and SuperS have never been legally released in any way in the UK. Even the TV broadcast stopped at the end of the DiC run from what I've heard. The DVDs were just the edited-only DiC eps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also, S and SuperS have never been legally released in any way in the UK. Even the TV broadcast stopped at the end of the DiC run from what I've heard. The DVDs were just the edited-only DiC eps.

I wonder why the UK was the exception. Even Australia got the rights to S and SuperS, where they aired it up until 2004. Unlike the US, they actually aired the entire series completely in order.

The original UK DVDs seem pretty lackluster too, worse coverart than the ADV releases. They did include artboxes though, which was kind of neat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Male straight
No chance of it now, not until another company with BIG pockets comes along as everyone major here has said no, and in a way I can't blame them too much. I mean, there's some fans here, but nothing to the level of DBZ or anything like that.

The original UK DVD releases were garbage, they were DIC dubbed back when everyone and there mother had the uncensored subs, contained only around 5 episodes and retailed at around 30 Pounds if I remember correctly.

Just find a way to change whatever device you have to multi region and import a English US one or Australian one. I do ponder why MVM released that dub though during a all time low opinion of dubs in general though. Funny, if the DiC dub was somehow released officially today it'd probably sell well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
https://twitter.com/NEO_Magazine/status ... 2160872448
http://www.neomag.co.uk/art/anime-manga ... ailor-moon

Old article from Neo Magazine (I believe it's years older since Wikimoon has it listed as from 2005), quoting the important parts here.

Quote:
"The perception of Sailor Moon as a successful franchise in the UK sadly never proved the case for us in terms of DVD sales," Tony Allen from MVM told us. "If anything it was lucky to cover costs. We hoped that it would cross over to a mainstream children's audience but the failure of major retailers to support this anime killed off any such hopes. In one case a retailer stocked the toys with episode one shrink-wrapped but refused to carry the DVDs."

Of course, the American version of the anime never did the series any favours - with so much cut out, many fans were aware they weren't being fed the 'authentic' Sailor Moon experience, and balked at the dubbed version on offer. "We know anime fans felt letdown by the heavily re-edited Dic versions of the episodes but we couldn't get hold of alternative materials," Tony Allen said. "So Sailor Moon never reached its potential with either anime fans or kids, which was a real shame."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 am 
Planeta
Planeta
TESTAMENT wrote:
Funny, if the DiC dub was somehow released officially today it'd probably sell well

Only in North America, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:05 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Clow wrote:
TESTAMENT wrote:
Funny, if the DiC dub was somehow released officially today it'd probably sell well

Only in North America, I think.

Probably in Australia too since I've seen people bug Madman for it, which is fair since they were the company who released the old dubs in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membership
TESTAMENT wrote:
The original UK DVD releases were garbage, they were DIC dubbed back when everyone and there mother had the uncensored subs, contained only around 5 episodes and retailed at around 30 Pounds if I remember correctly.

Just find a way to change whatever device you have to multi region and import a English US one or Australian one. I do ponder why MVM released that dub though during a all time low opinion of dubs in general though. Funny, if the DiC dub was somehow released officially today it'd probably sell well

The MVM release? Each disc has 6 episodes (bar volumes 13 and 14 which only have 5) and the most I ever paid for one in HMV/Virgin/online back in the day was £20.