* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Viz Dub vs. Sub
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 pm 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Hi everyone, newbie here and was interested in getting some opinions about the English dubbed Viz versus the subtitled version. I used to watch the DiC dub with some regularity when I was little, but lately I've been really interested in fully exploring the Sailor Moon series and watching it from top to bottom in its original, uncensored form. I have a Hulu account and was thrilled to find that the entire series is available for streaming - though when I first saw that there was both a dubbed and subtitled version, I thought the dub was the old DiC one and hadn't realized it had been redone. I have read that this new Viz dub is much more faithful to the original script, so I'm wondering how other Sailor Moon fans prefer to watch it and if one version is recommended over another. I've actually already watched a good chunk of episodes from the first series in Japanese with subtitles, but I'm wondering if it pays to switch over to the English version. Is there anything I would be missing if I didn't watch it in the original Japanese?

Post subject: Re: Viz Dub vs. Sub
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Watch it all subbed , then go back and watch all the important episodes dubbed. (Or all of them again if you have time)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Both ways are good in my opinion. I think the new dub is very well done and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Unless you're adversed to reading subtitles watch the sub. The dub has mediocre performances since

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just continue with the subbed. Voice acting performances are better. The new dub is decent, and has quite a few jokes in there that weren't in the original Japanese, but I'd say watch the dub as a supplementary experience. Also, only the dub of the first 2 seasons are up on Hulu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
no contest Japanese is the best overall
that said Viz is still a decent dub and just fine if you wanna watch it in English language but it's not perfect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I'm a big fan of the Viz dub but I would still recommend watching the Japanese version as your first experience with uncut Sailor Moon. That will give you the intended experience of the series that many of us grew up with and I think it's important to hear the original cast the first time through for Sailor Moon. As pointed out, only the first two seasons are available streaming dubbed on Hulu and you'll have to buy the home video release for the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The original Japanese version is the best.

What could I ever have done to deserve such a woesome fate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:48 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If you generally prefer watching anime in English, the Viz dub is perfectly fine, and is a faithful representation of the original unedited show. With that said, if you tend to prefer anime subtitled, you'd probably prefer sticking with the Japanese. You could always watch both too. I haven't listened to the show too much in Japanese, but I can tell that there's excellent performances from both languages. I almost always watch anime in English if there is a dub, so I have no compelling reason to watch all of it in Japanese outside curiosity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Thanks for the input everyone! It looks like it's going to be subbed from here on out for me - though I'm sure I'll return to some of my favorite episodes and re-watch them dubbed at some point as well (or, y'know, maybe just go for broke and watch 'em all again, hehe). I've become rather partial to the Japanese voice actors at this point in the game, so I figure it doesn't really pay for me to switch over now. =^_^=