* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: In Defense of Chbiusa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I feel like Chibiusa is a character that gets a really bad rap as being annoying but I don't think she's as bad as a character as fans make her out to be. Chibiusa is a little kid who is isolated from her family, so she's naturally going to act out of fear and desperation. Usagi is also the main character and we're going to see Chibiusa from her perspective. If Ami was the main character instead, I feel like we would see Chibiusa from a different point of view. Chbiusa's fights with Usagi over Mamoru in the 90s anime are meant to mostly be comedy scenes which I kind of prefer over Crystal where Usag's jealously is more serious which makes it over-dramatic and a little weird. Chibiusa also starts to trust Usagi more and begins to mature over the course and I feel like the fights calm down after around the time Rubeus is defeated but Usagi and Chibiusa always trust each other when it really counts. Chibiua's transformation to Black Lady is sympathetic because she was always bullied as a kid and she was being manipulated with false memories by Wiseman. Chibi Moon is a Guardian in training so it makes sense to me that she would be weaker at the beginning of S. She is shown to have a lot of potential though when she uses her Silver Crystal to help her mother defeat Wiseman. I do wish she could have gotten a proper attack by SuperS, but I feel like she's matured a lot by that season, and I love her friendship with Hotaru in S and her relationship with Helios in SuperS is cute and sweet. I feel like fans make too big of a deal over the magical horse thing when it's just a cartoon and the show makes it clear Pegasus isn't Helios' real form anyway.

Post subject: Re: In Defense of Chbiusa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:01 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Great thread, Neon Genesis. I really harbor don't any negative feelings toward Chibi-Usa at all. I think all hate for Chibs stems from the '95 DiC English dub.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Maybe some people don't like her because she gets way too many pantyshots. XD. Seriously though, I think her voice (at least in the Viz dub) is more annoying than her actions, but that's probably intentional. Do I hate her? No, but I can understand why others do. At the very least, her character development isn't that bad, though I'm only going by R and S. I haven't seen SuperS yet.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
I don't really have a problem with Chibiusa either, she's certainly not a favorite but I do like her backstory and her character development. I also find the beginning of Sailor Chibi Moon to be hilarious, it reminds me a good deal of Usagi's beginning as Sailor Moon. What's with all the hate?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i used to like her so much while i was watching the series as a kid,now i hated her while i was rewatching because she seemed bratty and noisy.however she's my mom's favorite and she convinced me that every kid can be like this at times,and considering chibiusa's backstory,i started to like her now again ^-^

but it's true that i love her Black Lady version the most (and always loved that :love: ) I wish she always stayed in that form.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
R - Hated her in the old dub, didn't like her much in the sub either, she became somewhat tolerable during my last two rewatches (both sub & Viz dub) but then there's episodes like 73 which makes me scratch my head in thinking "WHY?".

S - Didn't mind her as much in either version and was also entertaining at times. One of my favorite episodes of the entire show was 104 which was after she came back.

SuperS - This season had it's issues (especially when compared to the manga) but despite SuperS being centered around her, Chibiusa wasn't as bad to me as she was to almost everyone else.

I won't even get into Stars since she wasn't around for very long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
She gradually becomes likeable at manga/crystal but 90's anime :umno: .
litacan wrote:
but it's true that i love her Black Lady version the most (and always loved that :love: ) I wish she always stayed in that form.

Ooh Black Lady is just an excellent being who should be treated entirely distinct of that girl.
Attachment:
4dfb5b277f1a82203abd74acf1725191.jpg
4dfb5b277f1a82203abd74acf1725191.jpg [ 32.79 KiB | Viewed 2232 times ]
:love:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
I'm generally indifferent to her character
R is mildly annoying but not hate-able to me

S is her best in 90s anime
Manga is her better self overall

Super S is over exposure and too much focus the same can be said about the starlights
A season later so that's a toei problem not a chibiusa problem so I don't blame her character

Dic chibiusa is the absolute worst a real brat and god awful voice
Cloverway fits her best and was done well
Viz is just ok not good not bad just ok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:15 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
well said Neon Genesis and I agree completely mainly because Chibi-Usa is one of my favorite characters I think she was a very charming and cute character she reminds me of her mother in so many ways

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Again I like Chibiusa and feel that much of the hate directed towards her is unwarranted and foolish. Yes she can be bratty at times like both of her parents but at the same time she can also be rather sweet, friendly, dedicated and intelligent. She has positive and negative traits from both of her parents. I never understand how she gets so much hate and yet so many of the beloved characters of the franchise act just as bratty and yet get none of the hate. I just think that for some reason in many series a lot of fans hate cute and childlike characters which I find rather sick, dark and disturbing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
While I don't agree with some of the criticism of Chibiusa, I don't think it's fair to fans who don't like her to make a moral judgment about their character just because they don't like fictional kid characters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
MariaTenebre wrote:
Again I like Chibiusa and feel that much of the hate directed towards her is unwarranted and foolish. Yes she can be bratty at times like both of her parents but at the same time she can also be rather sweet, friendly, dedicated and intelligent. She has positive and negative traits from both of her parents. I never understand how she gets so much hate and yet so many of the beloved characters of the franchise act just as bratty and yet get none of the hate. I just think that for some reason in many series a lot of fans hate cute and childlike characters which I find rather sick, dark and disturbing.

I like Chibi-Usa myself, too. Since she is Mamoru and Usagi's daughter. she's bound to have her mother's love of sweets. She also has her father's dedication in saving the earth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
now that I've established my feelings on her overall that I'm indifferent to her character here's this: if I had to point out any issue or annoying trait Chibiusa has that I have to complain about it's
her weird crush on chiba even after she finds out who he is, it's weird and I don't like it one bit, I don't find it funny or amusing at all
it's supposed to be played off as her being cute but to me it's just weird, about as weird as her falling for Pegasus before he reveals himself as Helios

this doesn't define her character to me but is something [the chiba crush I mean] I wish wasn't part of her character especially after R [I can somewhat get it in R she didn't know who chiba was she just felt a connection before she knew her relation to him but not after ] or at least let that be only used as black lady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I agree. I've always liked Chibiusa, even if she could be a bit annoying, but who wasn't annoying and a bit bratty as a kid? Besides, she has her moments where she can be even more mature than Usagi lol. I also sometimes like how Usagi and Chibiusa act like big sister-little sister who have these "petty little fights". They're pretty funny most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I'll be honest, I didn't mind Chibiusa in R and S and even wondered why people hated her, she didn't seem terrible.

But yeah then came SuperS. I mean, I won't say I hated her after SuperS but I did consider her pretty annoying after that season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:55 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:
While I don't agree with some of the criticism of Chibiusa, I don't think it's fair to fans who don't like her to make a moral judgment about their character just because they don't like fictional kid characters

It is not just that they hade kid characters but they hate anything child like and/or cute. Some even go so far as wishing harm on these kids or cute animal creatures. I mean in the Resident Evil fandom there are a lot of fans who hate Sherry Birkin and who even state that they would like to see her raped or tortured. I mean you find such films as the Happy Tree Friends where cute characters are literally slaughtered I find it rather disturbing to want to torture and hurt childlike, cute and innocent kids and animals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:20 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If we didn't have Chibiusa and SuperS to rant about obsessively, this fandom would kick the bucket in two-three years after the anime has finished airing, like it happens to 99% of other popular anime series.
Chibiusa keeps the fandom alive for some two decades already. :bow:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Maraviollantes wrote:
Chibiusa keeps the fandom alive for some two decades already. :bow:

Thank Chiba :tuxspeedomask:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
I feel like Chibiusa is a character that gets a really bad rap as being annoying but I don't think she's as bad as a character as fans make her out to be. Chibiusa is a little kid who is isolated from her family, so she's naturally going to act out of fear and desperation. Usagi is also the main character and we're going to see Chibiusa from her perspective. If Ami was the main character instead, I feel like we would see Chibiusa from a different point of view. Chbiusa's fights with Usagi over Mamoru in the 90s anime are meant to mostly be comedy scenes which I kind of prefer over Crystal where Usag's jealously is more serious which makes it over-dramatic and a little weird. Chibiusa also starts to trust Usagi more and begins to mature over the course and I feel like the fights calm down after around the time Rubeus is defeated but Usagi and Chibiusa always trust each other when it really counts. Chibiua's transformation to Black Lady is sympathetic because she was always bullied as a kid and she was being manipulated with false memories by Wiseman. Chibi Moon is a Guardian in training so it makes sense to me that she would be weaker at the beginning of S. She is shown to have a lot of potential though when she uses her Silver Crystal to help her mother defeat Wiseman. I do wish she could have gotten a proper attack by SuperS, but I feel like she's matured a lot by that season, and I love her friendship with Hotaru in S and her relationship with Helios in SuperS is cute and sweet. I feel like fans make too big of a deal over the magical horse thing when it's just a cartoon and the show makes it clear Pegasus isn't Helios' real form anyway.

Great post! I agree with how Chibiusa gets too much hate. I also wish she had a proper attack in SuperS. The girl can't catch a break. In the manga, she simply has a copy of Sailor Moon's attack and in the anime, she has nothing at all apart from her old "attack."

ChibiUsa's character arc is a neat one to watch and I do hope she and Helios get together :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:53 am 
Stella
Stella
doctorwho29 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Great post! I agree with how Chibiusa gets too much hate. I also wish she had a proper attack in SuperS. The girl can't catch a break. In the manga, she simply has a copy of Sailor Moon's attack and in the anime, she has nothing at all apart from her old "attack."

ChibiUsa's character arc is a neat one to watch and I do hope she and Helios get together :)

I think Helios is pretty much confirmed as Chibiusa's future love so you probably have nothing to worry about on that front.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
She's annoying, incestuous, and her back story is the most stupid thing in the entire franchise.
That said, in the 90's anime, her relationship with Usagi is cute and funny.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:57 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
I think Helios is pretty much confirmed as Chibiusa's future love so you probably have nothing to worry about on that front.

But... but... what about Hotaru? :ohdear:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:27 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Maraviollantes wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

But... but... what about Hotaru? :ohdear:

Hotaru is a friend. They love each other like sisters. Chibi Usa showed romantic attraction to Mamoru (not happening) and Helios (I sure hope it's happening)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:28 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
I don't get the hate. The incest and bestiality is why I love her. :P

As for Hotaru... it's shoujo. Everyone is screwing in the subtext.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I respect your opinion. I hate her. She literally ruined the entire fourth season. She never should've came back after R. (I know in the manga she's better, but the anime strayed from the manga)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Personally I thought Usagi was a lot more immature than Chibiusa in SuperS. There was that whole episode where Usagi ran away from home and accused her mother of not loving her just because she didn't get any pie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
Hotaru is a friend. They love each other like sisters. Chibi Usa showed romantic attraction to Mamoru (not happening) and Helios (I sure hope it's happening)

little girls always fall for older guys its called an infantile crush for a reason and it happens all the time ever watch Cardcaptor Sakura one of Sakura's Friends is madly in love with her teacher XD

Neon Genesis wrote:
Personally I thought Usagi was a lot more immature than Chibiusa in SuperS. There was that whole episode where Usagi ran away from home and accused her mother of not loving her just because she didn't get any pie.

i agree with you there

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I think the problems with SuperS are with the quality of the writing, not with one single character. After all, Chibiusa left the series during Stars, but most fans are still critical of the poor writing issues in Stars. On the other hand, Chibiusa is still a main character during the Nehelenia arc, which generally receives a lot of high praise, in spite of the inclusion of Chibiusa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
I think the problems with SuperS are with the quality of the writing, not with one single character. After all, Chibiusa left the series during Stars, but most fans are still critical of the poor writing issues in Stars. On the other hand, Chibiusa is still a main character during the Nehelenia arc, which generally receives a lot of high praise, in spite of the inclusion of Chibiusa.

well Chibi-Usa was very popular in Japan me personally i thought she was a rather charming character not to mention i think she'd be a perfect daughter for anyone (despite there fights Chibi-Usa really loves Usagi and looks up to her which was proven on the episode where she drew a picture of Usagi and called it The Person I Admire The Most)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:

True