* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starlights pride
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
After watching fight scenes as well as transformations, I'm impressed with the Starlights. I'm starting to be a fan of theirs, it helps that they double as a music group for cover. I'm actually looking forward when that season is dubbed. I know it's on the Viz Media website for subbed viewing, but I'm kinda curious to find out who they cast. Anyone want to put in their two cents on the matter?

Post subject: Re: Starlights pride
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:54 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Starlights are meh to me at best I feel they were executed poorly and at worst I resent them in the 90s anime for taking up the spotlight when they were supposed to be minor characters. I especially resent them taking the spotlight of the Outer Senshi who were supposed to be main characters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JupiterThunder wrote:
I know it's on the Viz Media website for subbed viewing, but I'm kinda curious to find out who they cast. Anyone want to put in their two cents on the matter?
Said it before and I'll say it again. I want Mona Marshall to voice any of them. Not only can she sing, but she also has a history of voicing male/male-sounding characters.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Personally I like them I mean Taiki is probably my least favorite but Yaten and Seiya are very funny and sassy and I feel like they really stepped up for Usagi when it really mattered. I am not really confident in Viz casting them well but I am really excited to see those episodes dubbed. I am probably in the minority here but I really did like Seiya he/she was a really fun character and I think that they did a really good job of making me care about Seiya/Starfighter. I really prefer them over the outer senshi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Personally, I like the Starlights as depicted in the 90's anime. The 90's anime added more layers of complexity to the characters and made them more interesting: a boy band composed of biological males who are able to transform into females. The connection between Seiya and Usagi, which was far more interesting and explicit in the anime than in the manga. I love Stars as a season and think that it is the third best season of the 90's anime (Classic > S > Stars).

I am curious about the Crystal adaptation of Stars. Unfortunately, I predict that the Starlights will be reduced to secondary characters, but on a brighter and more positive note we will get Sailor Cosmos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seiya and Yaten are the best of the Starlights. No matter how many times I've seen Stars, I can never bring myself to like Taiki. I enjoyed Seiya as friends with Usagi but I still prefer Usagi with Mamoru.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I just can't get into them (except for Yaten, who at least can be sassy in an entertaining way) for a number of reasons:

1. The complete lack of creativity Naoko demonstrated in creating them. They all assume the same first name and they all have the same basic hair, save for differences in color and bangs. They might as well have been one three-headed Sailor (which would have, at least, been interesting :lol: )

2. I still don't get what they're the Sailor Guardians of. Kinmoku's moons? Comets? Planet(oid)s in the same galaxy as Kinmoku? And why do they have such weird names? I just feel like they're not consistent with the rest of the Sailor Guardians and it's weird in a bad way.

3. I also still don't get the whole boy band thing. Why did they have to pose as musicians to find Kakyuu? Like, I really don't get how that was supposed to help them find her, and I don't think it even actually did? And why pose as a BOY band specifically? Did they also present as male back on their home world(s) or...???

4. I don't care for their uniforms. Definition of tacky IMO.

5. Taiki is the worst. Seiya is just boring to me.

6. They come off as a knock-off of the Outers to me, and their search for their lost princess storyline feels like a rehash of the first arc.

7. We just never learn enough about their lives before coming to Earth for me to care about them. The fact that they just get killed off in the manga and we're never given any kind of follow-up further suggests to me that Naoko probably didn't care much about them either and didn't expect her readers to.

8. Star Gentle Uterus. Need I say more?

If they had been more developed as characters, or even if they'd just been introduced in a better storyline, I might like them more. But as it stands, I just do not care about them :lol:

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
6. They come off as a knock-off of the Outers to me, and their search for their lost princess storyline feels like a rehash of the first arc.

Yeah, Naoko wasn't even being subtle with copying her own characters. In the Materials Collection she compares Seiya to a mix between Haruka and Mamoru.

I really like Yaten though, but saucy characters are kinda my type. I almost wonder if Naoko should have just axed Taiki who is universally disliked and just made Kakyuu officially part of the trio? I would have also given names based on comets or something.

I also think the callback to the first arc's "find a princess" subplot would have been more interesting if it involved an actual twist...and not "she was in the antique jar the entire time." Maybe have Galaxia be the princess or make Sailor Kakyuu a member of the Shadow Galactica?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
taiki used to be my least favorite,but after some rewatches i started to like her,at least her civilian form
i always liked seiya and somewhat shipped her with usagi (i can ship usagi with everyone but mamo i think)
yaten is just too charismatic.I don't like her personality to be honest.

that's what i think about them and i refered them as female because it sounded more right :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:22 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Seira Hazuki wrote:
I also think the callback to the first arc's "find a princess" subplot would have been more interesting if it involved an actual twist...and not "she was in the antique jar the entire time." Maybe have Galaxia be the princess or make Sailor Kakyuu a member of the Shadow Galactica?
You know what I was expecting, the first time I saw Sailor Stars, to be the outcome of the search for their princess, and was surprised to see not be that outcome? The whole time, I was expecting Chibi Chibi to be their princess, having assumed a disguised form to hide herself in, one that just happened to bear some resemblance to Usagi (what with all the characters who kept saying how Chibi Chibi looks like Usagi).

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

Last edited by Sabrblade on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I am indifferent to them in the manga, but their 90's anime counterparts.... I absolutely despise them(except for Yaten). Taiki was a pompous know- it all while Seya is a selfish brat who acted like a stalker towards Usagi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:

I thought it would have made more sense for Chibi Chibi to be Kakyuu than Galaxia's star seed. They seemed to be hinting at some big reveal for Chibi Chibi and the whole thing about the antique jar made it seem like Chibi Chibi had some kind of connection with Kakyuu. It would also better explain why Kakyuu was in hiding the whole time and didn't try to contact the Starlights any.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:06 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I absolutely hated them taking Outers' spotlights. I always say 90's anime dropped the ball about inners' character development on SuperS and Stars. They shouldn't have accepted them as hmm sempai(?) so easily. Maybe one or two of them but all the group come on! I'm not keen on them as a group(except image songs, as a band and soloes) but I find them likeable one by one, especially Seiya. He has one of the best character growths in anime imo. If only the scenario had more depth but all seasons have that repetitiveness.
I'm not holding my breath about them for Crystal except the Papillon grave. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I thought it would have made more sense for Chibi Chibi to be Kakyuu than Galaxia's star seed. They seemed to be hinting at some big reveal for Chibi Chibi and the whole thing about the antique jar made it seem like Chibi Chibi had some kind of connection with Kakyuu. It would also better explain why Kakyuu was in hiding the whole time and didn't try to contact the Starlights any.

Sabrblade wrote:
You know what I was expecting, the first time I saw Sailor Stars, to be the outcome of the search for their princess, and was surprised to see not be that outcome? The whole time, I was expecting Chibi Chibi to be their princess, having assumed a disguised form to hide herself in, one that just happened to bear some resemblance to Usagi (what with all the characters who kept saying how Chibi Chibi looks like Usagi).

I think that Chibi Chibi = Princess Kakyuu was a huge theory way back before Sailor Stars wasn't accessible to the fandom via subs. With Chibi Chibi's hair being redder in the anime, I can totally see the resemblance too.

Come to think of it, it would have been an interesting angle to explore. Imagine the Starlights coming to Earth, desperately trying to find their princess, only to find out that she died and her star seed was reborn into a toddler a la Chibi Chibi? It would mean a total rewrite of the second half of the Stars anime... But considering what we ended up getting, maybe it would have been for the better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

I never understand why they pick Galaxia ? Its just really didn't make that much since .Especialy we never got any real hints any connection to Chibi Chibi and Galaxia. Also Galaxia never seem t be hinted that she was possesed .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I guess they wanted Galaxia to be a contrast to Beryl to show how much Usagi had matured since the first season by making Galaxia a more sympathetic character.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 am 
Stella
Stella
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I just can't get into them (except for Yaten, who at least can be sassy in an entertaining way) for a number of reasons:

1. The complete lack of creativity Naoko demonstrated in creating them. They all assume the same first name and they all have the same basic hair, save for differences in color and bangs. They might as well have been one three-headed Sailor (which would have, at least, been interesting :lol: )

2. I still don't get what they're the Sailor Guardians of. Kinmoku's moons? Comets? Planet(oid)s in the same galaxy as Kinmoku? And why do they have such weird names? I just feel like they're not consistent with the rest of the Sailor Guardians and it's weird in a bad way.

3. I also still don't get the whole boy band thing. Why did they have to pose as musicians to find Kakyuu? Like, I really don't get how that was supposed to help them find her, and I don't think it even actually did? And why pose as a BOY band specifically? Did they also present as male back on their home world(s) or...???

7. We just never learn enough about their lives before coming to Earth for me to care about them. The fact that they just get killed off in the manga and we're never given any kind of follow-up further suggests to me that Naoko probably didn't care much about them either and didn't expect her readers to.

If they had been more developed as characters, or even if they'd just been introduced in a better storyline, I might like them more. But as it stands, I just do not care about them :lol:

Actually in the anime it is heavily implied that the Starlights are Senshi of Kinmoku's three Moons that is pretty much established.

Also I do like their uniforms I found them to be very sexy.

However in a lot of ways I agreed with you I think it made no sense for them to disguise themselves as a boy band to look for their Princess. They said they thought disguising themselves as boys would make it more easy to find her because she is female but that makes no sense as many girl bands were also popular among women. During the Spice Girl's heyday for instance pretty much every girl I knew liked them.

In many ways I felt they were like reductive copies of Haruka in their crossdressing and also I agree they were simply poor man's Outer Senshi. If I had done them I would have made the boys in and out of Senshi form. I mean we have Tuxedo Mask as the male Senshi of Earth so why not include more male Senshi in the series. I would have made them each Senshi along the similar vein as Tuxedo Mask. Maybe calling them for instance Star Fighter Mask, Star Healer Mask and Star Maker Mask. I would have also made each of them look more masculine in their features but still keep them wearing skimpy male super hero outfits for the fanservice. While I would have given them their own transformations and attack animations. They wouldn't have taken the spotlight from the Inner or Outer Senshi who would all be main characters and get the lion's share of attention all though the Starlights would still get time as well.

Honestly if I had designed their look I would probably have Seiya look like Den Harrow aka Stefano Zandri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz_RQVkvke4

I would probably have Yaten look like Dazzle Novak from Moonbeam City I would also have him to be gay.

https://resizing.flixster.com/v-ITyWvEj ... MjU7MTUwMA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I did like Seiya, he was cool and funny . I did kinda like Yaten x Minako, and wished that I could have seen more of Yaten being all sassy/bossy with her, and Minako teasing/flirting with Yaten. Taiki was ok I guess. It also would have been amazing if we could have had an epic battle between the Starlights and the Outer Senshi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:53 am 
Stella
Stella
I don't think that Yaten and Minako ever had a chance of working because once Minako found out Yaten was a girl she admitted she lost interest in her. Plus I have a suspicion that Yaten is actually heterosexual and doesn't like women sexually unlike say Seiya who is a lesbian. I can't speak on what gender Taiki is attracted to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
I don't think that Yaten and Minako ever had a chance of working because once Minako found out Yaten was a girl she admitted she lost interest in her. Plus I have a suspicion that Yaten is actually heterosexual and doesn't like women sexually unlike say Seiya who is a lesbian. I can't speak on what gender Taiki is attracted to.

Aw that sucks. Well I kinda only shipped them when Yaten was in her civilian/Three Lights form. Most of the interactions that I liked occurred in their civilian forms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:37 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
Plus I have a suspicion that Yaten is actually heterosexual and doesn't like women sexually
You might be onto something there.

In episode 176, the idol Yaten was supposed to work with, Noriko Okamachi, kept making advances toward Yaten, who kept turning down her advances each time. And when Noriko later assumed that Yaten's reasons for turning her down was because Yaten was gay, Yaten (and especially Luna) took offense to this notion. Of course, Noriko was under the impression that Yaten was male, so she thought Yaten was into males instead of females. But if Yaten took offense to being called gay just because each of Noriko's advances were turned down, then Noriko actually may not have been too far off in thinking that Yaten would be into males instead of females, making Yaten straight after all in spite of Noriko's assumption swinging in the other direction. P-:

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 am 
Stella
Stella
Sabrblade wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Plus I have a suspicion that Yaten is actually heterosexual and doesn't like women sexually

In episode 176, the idol Yaten was supposed to work with, Noriko Okamachi, kept making advances toward Yaten, who kept turning down her advances each time. And when Noriko later assumed that Yaten's reasons for turning her down was because Yaten was gay, Yaten (and especially Luna) took offense to this notion. Of course, Noriko was under the impression that Yaten was male, so she thought Yaten was into males instead of females. But if Yaten took offense to being called gay just because each of Noriko's advances were turned down, then Noriko actually may not have been too far off in thinking that Yaten would be into males instead of females, making Yaten straight after all in spite of Noriko's assumption swinging in the other direction. P-:

Yes that scene particularly is what made me think that Yaten might be straight especially because she seemed uninterested in pretty much every woman she met. Unlike say Seiya who is really a lesbian in her true female form. I don't know what gender Taiki might be interested in as she was never shown interested in anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

Actually in the anime it is heavily implied that the Starlights are Senshi of Kinmoku's three Moons that is pretty much established.

However in a lot of ways I agreed with you I think it made no sense for them to disguise themselves as a boy band to look for their Princess. They said they thought disguising themselves as boys would make it more easy to find her because she is female but that makes no sense as many girl bands were also popular among women. During the Spice Girl's heyday for instance pretty much every girl I knew liked them.

In many ways I felt they were like reductive copies of Haruka in their crossdressing and also I agree they were simply poor man's Outer Senshi. If I had done them I would have made the boys in and out of Senshi form. I mean we have Tuxedo Mask as the male Senshi of Earth so why not include more male Senshi in the series. I would have made them each Senshi along the similar vein as Tuxedo Mask. Maybe calling them for instance Star Fighter Mask, Star Healer Mask and Star Maker Mask. I would have also made each of them look more masculine in their features but still keep them wearing skimpy male super hero outfits for the fanservice. While I would have given them their own transformations and attack animations. They wouldn't have taken the spotlight from the Inner or Outer Senshi who would all be main characters and get the lion's share of attention all though the Starlights would still get time as well.

Honestly if I had designed their look I would probably have Seiya look like Den Harrow aka Stefano Zandri.

I would probably have Yaten look like Dazzle Novak from Moonbeam City I would also have him to be gay.

I know the spice girls were a big deal back in the day and I don't know what their fandom was like because I was too young at the time to be that aware of pop culture but it makes perfect sense to me that they would be able to reach a wider audience if they were male. Even now there are still lots of complaints about female artists not getting the same respect as male artists or air time in many genres of music. Sex also sells and the best way to sell themselves to the female demographic as a whole would be to be male since I would assume that if they were to debut as a girl group they would probably be sexualized in order to appeal to the male gaze. I don't know about how wells girl groups do in asian countries because I feel like they do a lot better there then they do in the U.S but probably not as well as their male counterparts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:42 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Yes that scene particularly is what made me think that Yaten might be straight especially because she seemed uninterested in pretty much every woman she met. Unlike say Seiya who is really a lesbian in her true female form. I don't know what gender Taiki might be interested in as she was never shown interested in anyone.
Either way, both Yaten and Taiki did make it pretty clear that their princess was the only special person they've committed themselves to, selflessly removing any interest in romantic pursuits for themselves.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 am 
Stella
Stella
blondibear_17 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I know the spice girls were a big deal back in the day and I don't know what their fandom was like because I was too young at the time to be that aware of pop culture but it makes perfect sense to me that they would be able to reach a wider audience if they were male. Even now there are still lots of complaints about female artists not getting the same respect as male artists or air time in many genres of music. Sex also sells and the best way to sell themselves to the female demographic as a whole would be to be male since I would assume that if they were to debut as a girl group they would probably be sexualized in order to appeal to the male gaze. I don't know about how wells girl groups do in asian countries because I feel like they do a lot better there then they do in the U.S but probably not as well as their male counterparts.

I don't know how true that is I mean most female artists are highly popular with women like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé etc. They could still be a girl group and appeal to women and girls. I mean this is even true in PGSM as Minako and Mio Kuroki were very popular with girls as well and they were idols.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:19 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
There are obviously many powerful women in the music industry but you mostly mentioned solo acts there and the three lights are a group. Its possible I am very wrong because as I said the music scene in asia is a totally different climate so girl groups are probably more likely to achieve popularity so I don't know anything about Jpop but in the west boy bands have always outnumbered and been more successful than girl groups have. Women can often times be extremely critical of other women Taylor Swift for example is a highly successful artist she is rich and popular as hell but the criticism she gets from women is out of this world. Male artist don't have to deal with that sort of judgement from their female fans if they are dreamy they can do no wrong and girls will blindly throw money at their albums and merchandise. Girls can of course like and support female artist but I don't think it inspires the same sort of hysteria.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Sabrblade wrote:

Doesn't Yaten flirt wth Minako in the episode where Seiya stays over at Usagi's place though?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
I don't know what gender Taiki might be interested in as she was never shown interested in anyone.
I think there are several instances in the season that imply Taiki is interested in Ami.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Neon Genesis wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Doesn't Yaten flirt wth Minako in the episode where Seiya stays over at Usagi's place though?
Quite the opposite. Minako tried to flirt with Yaten during the card game, hoping to bribe Yaten into going on a date with her, while Yaten was having none of it, finding Minako's silliness to be annoying.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The impression I got from Yaten was she was playing hard to get with Minako but she didn't seem entirely opposed to her flirting. Yaten's reaction to Noriko seems to be more that Yaten is an intensely private person and found Noriko's intrusion to be annoying. Luna seemed to be the one more angry about her insinuations about her orientation if anything.