* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon Classic Season 1 Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Idk if this has been a thread already, but if it hasn't, well here we go!

This can be a discussion about anything pertaining to Saior Moon's very first season such as art styles, goofs, character development, character introductions, plot and storylines that you liked and disliked, friendships , character bonding, romances , ships, episodes that you liked or disliked, conspiracy theories (lol), mysteries that haven't been explained , debates about the events that happen or the character's motives, and how it might affect later seasons,etc.

Just trying to start a new thread that may interest people since the forum has been looking less active lately. Please share your thoughts! I don't wanna feel awkward.

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Classic Season 1 Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Sailor Moon season 1. Where do I start... this was obviously my introduction into Sailor Moon, and I still remember having the old video cassets that my cousin would record for me to watch. I think I've seen the first episode about 50 times.. at least hahaha. I was introduced into sailor moon with the DiC dub, like many and to this day it will still always be my favourite of the English dubs. I don't really know what else to say other than I'm glad I was able to get into this anime, it shaped a big part of my childhood and adult life. Moonie for life! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Whenever I feel like re-watching episodes, this is the season that I usually come back to. I like the simplicity of the story and the introductions of all the characters, plus the monsters looked cooler and more threatening than in the later seasons. This season also feels a little more quaint than the later seasons since there aren't as many characters to focus on. My only true gripe is that Minako's more goofy side could've been a bit better developed.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:29 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's perhaps one of my favorite seasons, second to S. It is in a season like this that had a good balance of pacing and filler. While some areas of the story could use some improvement (nothing's perfect) I really enjoy rewatching that season a lot. Decent beginning, we are given some filler episodes to get use to new Senshi before more introductions, most of the villains had enough to make them interesting, and an excellent conclusion. Overall, love the season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
^ Yeah I loved most of the fillers of season 1. I also liked how they first started to develop the Naru/Umino ship when he was hilariously impersonating Tuxedo Mask :D :P .

Then there's the Zoisite/Kunzite ship l, where I think that Zoisite was a bit jealous of Queen Beryl, and disliked her lol but then that's my theory

Poor Jaedite, he's all alone......wait he has Thetis, but that was unrequited love.

Naru/Nephrite ship made a lot people like him

The start of Usagi/Rei's beautiful yet antagonistic rivalry/friendship

Theories that I have seen or me up with:
Is It possible that Naru was a descendant from the Silver Milenium?

Was Neo Queen Serenity reincarnated on Earth somehow as well? (I know she died after using the Silver Crystal,and we saw her hologram when they went to the moon, but it is possible.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
^I ran out of room.....

One more thing, who was Usagi's father in the Moon Kingdom, and why was he never shown or mentioned? I can understand if he was just irrelevant plot-wise, but he is one hell of a mystery. Did they asexually reproduce back then in the Moon Kingdom or something? lmao.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
it's the season i never grow tired of rewatching along with R
i love inners and their relationship developments in time
i love its fillers
i love it when minor characters like usagi's classmates showed up

i don't like ep42 it was very tragic and depressing to me
the last two episodes were depressing too.But that must happen..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I really enjoy the first season, it's the group of episodes I've seen the most. I've always found that it has a good story pace throughout and the characters have some good development.
I also have a fond memory of this, as it's something that started and solidified a good friendship for me in my teens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
SMC was an awesome that turned the super quick manga into an expansive immersive tale. I love the comedy, action and final battle. A good build up to a satisfying conclusion. It was a series that could survive on its own.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Cierra Moon wrote:
^I ran out of room.....

One more thing, who was Usagi's father in the Moon Kingdom, and why was he never shown or mentioned? I can understand if he was just irrelevant plot-wise, but he is one hell of a mystery. Did they asexually reproduce back then in the Moon Kingdom or something? lmao.

He's probably in the same place Takumi Fujiwara's mom is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I feel ok I what I enjoyed the most about season one of the 90s anime was it told a complete story. The Sailor Stars finale felt more like a typical season finale than an actual series finale. The first season wraps up all it's main stories and character development and you could stop at that point if you wanted and feel like you got a whole story. I also appreciated the writers took a lot of creative risks with the adaptation. They didn't stray too far from the source material like SuperS did, but still expanded on the story with a lot of original subplots and new characters while still keeping the basic outline of the manga. It's the kind of risk taking in anime adaptations you just don't see as much these days in modern anime.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:53 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I like Crystal and the Manga (story wise) purely because it seems like the writers went off and did some fan-fiction (which is what I honestly see Stars as.) I like that they expanded on the villains a bit, but they had so much more to run with. The rainbow crystals arc was a disservice in my opinion as it just only provided monsters of the day. I liked that they focused on Usagi being Sailor Moon on her own however- and the trio of Mercury and Mars.

But in reality we get half way into the season and 2 major characters aren't even introduced. That's a bit ridiculous. Even in the manga/crystal we get to see more of Jupiter and Venus than in the anime. And then it seems so rushed to cram stuff in there because they were getting closer to the end. The brainwashing was trite too.

Overall; I have fond memories but all it does for me now is set up a prolonged introduction with less action and weaker character development than it could've gotten.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
tomoki wrote:
The rainbow crystals arc was a disservice in my opinion as it just only provided monsters of the day.

What do you think that arc should have been then? I'm honestly curious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cierra Moon wrote:
^ Yeah I loved most of the fillers of season 1. I also liked how they first started to develop the Naru/Umino ship when he was hilariously impersonating Tuxedo Mask :D :P .

Then there's the Zoisite/Kunzite ship l, where I think that Zoisite was a bit jealous of Queen Beryl, and disliked her lol but then that's my theory

Poor Jaedite, he's all alone......wait he has Thetis, but that was unrequited love.

Naru/Nephrite ship made a lot people like him

The start of Usagi/Rei's beautiful yet antagonistic rivalry/friendship

Theories that I have seen or me up with:
Is It possible that Naru was a descendant from the Silver Milenium?

Was Neo Queen Serenity reincarnated on Earth somehow as well? (I know she died after using the Silver Crystal,and we saw her hologram when they went to the moon, but it is possible.)

Neo Queen Serenity and Queen Serenity are not the same person. Neo Queen Serenity is the future Queen form of Usagi. Queen Serenity is her mother in the Silver Millennium. Also I don't know if she was reincarnated I think her spirit basically just lives on the Moon.

Cierra Moon wrote:
^I ran out of room.....

Well in the Stars manga it was implied that Princess Serenity was basically the result of a virgin birth by the power of the Galaxy Cauldron. Further cementing her whole Messiah and Jesus connection in S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Even though the first season of the 90s anime has some episodes that I truly love, overall it's my least favorite season.

Some of the filler is entertaining but I feel there was too much of it. It took too long to bring Jupiter and Venus into the team compared to Mars and Mercury. The Rainbow Crystal arc was obviously invented to pad out the show. In general, the Dark Kingdom is my least favorite villain group in all of Sailor Moon because of how boring they are IMO (PGSM made them more interesting, at least). It has the worst animation out of the five 90s seasons but that's also because it's the first/oldest season. It doesn't include the Outers (my favorite characters) because they weren't created yet. There are other issues, I'm sure, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Basically, I will gladly watch certain episodes from the first season (one of which is actually one of my favorite SM episodes of all time), and some of the monster-of-the-day plots were genuinely interesting -- but when it comes to looking at the season as a whole, it's not one that I enjoy revisiting when I re-watch Sailor Moon. In fact, season one might be the reason why I haven't had a proper Sailor Moon 90s re-watch in a very long time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Season 1 may very well be my favorite season. There's just something about the character development I like. Also, I like how the heroines and the baddies actively try to outsmart each other, trying to find out the secret identities and so on. That's missing almost completely from the later seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
John wrote:
Even though the first season of the 90s anime has some episodes that I truly love, overall it's my least favorite season.

Some of the filler is entertaining but I feel there was too much of it. It took too long to bring Jupiter and Venus into the team compared to Mars and Mercury. The Rainbow Crystal arc was obviously invented to pad out the show. In general, the Dark Kingdom is my least favorite villain group in all of Sailor Moon because of how boring they are IMO (PGSM made them more interesting, at least). It has the worst animation out of the five 90s seasons but that's also because it's the first/oldest season. It doesn't include the Outers (my favorite characters) because they weren't created yet. There are other issues, I'm sure, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Ironically while SuperS is typically considered to be the season hurt the most by filler-in, the first season actually has the most amount. But I feel like the first season does a better job of pacing it out than SuperS. Season one knew better to me where to fit in plot development whereas SuperS rushes it all at the end even though Classic actually has more filler-in than SuperS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 am 
Forums Shogun
Forums Shogun
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The first season is impressive in that it has five entirely different-feeling chapters to it.

The first chapter is Usagi by herself. It's almost like a completely different show. The Tsukino family, a nutty cat, and a girl fighting a weird blonde dude who makes evil perfume animals.

The second chapter is Usagi with Ami and Rei, and the trio have their own set of interesting and romantic/emotional anecdotes and adventures.

The third chapter begins with Jupiter and is the Rainbow Crystals story-arc through its conclusion.

The fourth chapter is the majority of the Evil Endymion arc.

And the fifth chapter, for me, is an entire "beginning of the end to finale" arc where they tie bows around loose ends from the series: Usagi's family in the hot springs resort, Seven Great Youma/Ami, Minako's past, the "senshi break up" episode which to me implies that Naru-chan put the pieces together, the gate is found, the past gets revealed, and we head to finale.