Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: HD screening of SMR movie with Kotono Mitsuishi and Ikuhara!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Even if Ikuhara is brought back to direct Crystal, I seriously doubt he would take season four into a radically different direction from the manga, given that Naoko has much stricter control this time, and Crystal has been a mostly faithful adaptation so far. So even if you hate Ikuhara's direction for his original ideas, I'm not sure why his critics are freaking out as if season four is suddenly going to go in a radical different direction when Crystal hasn't so far?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I'm really not sure why Crystal was brought up in the first place. Everyone and their mother knows Ikuhara would never return to Toei.

This thread was really mostly for 90s anime fans to celebrate since we haven't been hearing much with it's production like we have with the other adaptations. In order to find neat information, people have to dig up Animage and Newtype magazines from 25 years ago or find obscure booklets.

But instead, this turned into yet another manga/crystal vs anime discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:48 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seen2 wrote:
But instead, this turned into yet another manga/crystal vs anime discussion.

Would like to see versuses between versuses, like (manga vs 90s anime) vs (Crystal vs 90s anime), etc. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I would :love: S4 Crystal to be Utena-ish and still be faithful. =^_^=

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:

How to do that? :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:31 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

Heavy emotional dream like imagery.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

Heavy emotional dream like imagery.

So it could still be faithful to the plot of the manga, but mightn't be so to the feel of it. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
rgveda99 wrote:

that would be a game changer for me, I love Utena as much as Sm so if you combine the two I'm sold

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:09 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
So it could still be faithful to the plot of the manga, but mightn't be so to the feel of it. lol

There's no worry cause they already did that in S1. :-P

[Edited by Rika-moth to fix the link in the above spoiler.]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:21 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Seen2 wrote:
this turned into yet another manga/crystal vs anime discussion.

Sadly. And I've grown tired of it.

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I'll be curious to know if Ikuhara feelings on the series and characters has changed over time, especially his hatred of Mamoru. But given his weird sense of humor, I can never tell how serious any of Ikuhara's statements are. Sometimes I wonder if even his planned plot idea for the SuperS movie was actually serious or if Ikuhara was being sarcastic about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'll be curious to know if Ikuhara feelings on the series and characters has changed over time, especially his hatred of Mamoru. But given his weird sense of humor, I can never tell how serious any of Ikuhara's statements are.

Pretty sure the "Ikuhara hates Mamoru" rumor came from an interview where he says he keeps trying to kill him off so he can have Usagi all to himself. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Yet the R movie, which was directed by Ikuhara, is arguably the most popular portrayal of Mamoru out of any version of Sailor Moon, for all that his critics try to blame him for the problems of the 90s anime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:23 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Do you think they'll finally settle the question if Fiore is really gay or not at this event?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
Do you think they'll finally settle the question if Fiore is really gay or not at this event?

I doubt that would even be a question? :unsure:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
https://spice.eplus.jp/articles/133122

Here's an article I found describing the event. According to Google Translate, Ikuhara showed up saying "Today I return to Sailor Moon for the first time in 20 years!" (Obviously not referring to Crystal), and he explained that "love" was the meaning behind the flowers in the movie. Fiore is in search of love, and Usagi is someone who gives people her love (this actually makes a lot of sense if you've seen Ikuhara's other works like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi). Kotono Mitsuishi was given the original cel of Usagi and Mamoru's famous kiss scene as a gift, which choked her up a bit. She also mentioned that the R movie is still her favorite work to this day.

If anyone wants to try to fully translate this, that'd be great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
The SuperS movie is the best one. :P

In the end they could've handled the Sailor Moon anime a lot better and I think everyone can agree there. They just viewed it as a cash cow rushing to release whatever stories they themselves made to only water down what source material they were given.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:
I also don't think it's fair to solely blame Ikuhra for the 90s anime's portrayal of Mamoru. The first season also portrayed Mamoru as a jerk but fans don't seem to hold a grudge against Junichi Sato as much as they do Ikuhara for Mamoru. And whether how much Ikuhara was involved with the breakup subplot, he also gave us the R movie which is probably the most popular portrayal of Mamoru in the 90s anime. But these love/hate relationships were popular tropes in 90s shoujo anime and so I think Toei would have given Usag and Mamoru that kind of adversarial relationship regardless of who was in the director's chair.

Again I don't think that Mamoru was much of a jerk in the first season anymore then say Rei and even Usagi had her jerky moments. Also while the breakup arc was foolish and silly I don't know if it was Ikuhara's idea.

Plus the reason why SuperS was such the abortion as it was, was because of executive meddling Toei wanted to make the show about Chibiusa and make it way more childish. Had Ikuhara had been given more freedom and the dark tone of the manga was kept plus the inclusion of the Outers it could have even topped S in coolness.

MementoNepenthe wrote:
Why do I think his SuperS movie idea was garbage?

1. The "End of the World" stuff sounds corny to me.
2. Why is Neptune, of all people, put under some sleep curse? And by whom?
3. Why would I want to watch a Sailor MOON movie that sounds like it's 90% about Uranus and Neptune, two characters who I find terribly boring in the anime? Was that supposed to make up for their absence in SuperS?
4. Why would I want to watch Uranus and Moon fight once again. I already skip over the penultimate S episode because it's dreadful. I think I'll pass on the feature length version, 'kay thanks bye.

Furthermore, I don't know a lot about the staff/BTS stuff regarding the 90s anime because I don't particularly care. I was just going off what I've gleamed from others' comments about Ikuhara over the years. If my understanding of his role was flawed in some way, I'm happy to be corrected, but I can do without your condescending tone. In any event, while I'm sure Toei pushed for SuperS to heavily focus on Chibiusa, I doubt they also demanded 95% of the episodes to be formulaic filler centered around nobody characters, or for the Outers to not appear, or any of the other numerous deviations from the manga. And SuperS premiering a month before the first chapter of Dream came out doesn't explain that stuff either. It's not like Naoko was writing the manga in seclusion on some desert island where she couldn't contact the anime staff and vice versa. I'm sure they knew what was going to happen in the manga sufficiently ahead of time to incorporate basic things like the Quartet being Sailors or the Golden Crystal being Mamoru's equivalent of the Silver Crystal.

Personally I love Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune and do not find them boring at all. I would have loved a movie based around them. Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune in S are one of the factors that made it the best season in my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Seen2 wrote:
https://spice.eplus.jp/articles/133122

Here's an article I found describing the event. According to Google Translate, Ikuhara showed up saying "Today I return to Sailor Moon for the first time in 20 years!" (Obviously not referring to Crystal), and he explained that "love" was the meaning behind the flowers in the movie. Fiore is in search of love, and Usagi is someone who gives people her love (this actually makes a lot of sense if you've seen Ikuhara's other works like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi). Kotono Mitsuishi was given the original cel of Usagi and Mamoru's famous kiss scene as a gift, which choked her up a bit. She also mentioned that the R movie is still her favorite work to this day.

If anyone wants to try to fully translate this, that'd be great.

Haven't checked, but Miss Dream might have the translation?

BTW, the director's hat looks kinda cute. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Haven't checked, but Miss Dream might have the translation?

Miss Dream does have to RAW downloads of the event, and they plan to translate it.

https://missdream.org/sera-myu-re-trans ... vent-2017/