Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HD screening of SMR movie with Kotono Mitsuishi and Ikuhara!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:00 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
http://sailormoon-official.com/informat ... hday_r.php

Turns out that HD remaster of the R movie probably *was* done by Toei themselves, as they're gonna screen it for Usagi's birthday on June 30th and July 1st! As far as google translate tells me, Kotono Mitsuishi and Kunihiko Ikuhara will be special guests at a talk event as well on 7/1. Also, they'll be giving out clear-files and reprint movie posters as presents.

That's surprising, I thought Ikuhara was trying to distance himself from Sailor Moon for a while now. This is still really nice, though.

Post subject: Re: HD screening of SMR movie with Kotono Mitsuishi and Ikuhara!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
From the looks of it, I doubt we'll find anything new about season four of Crystal from this event and we'll probably have to wait for them to make an official announcement on their official site and Twitter page.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seen2 wrote:
Turns out that HD remaster of the R movie probably *was* done by Toei themselves

Which will look better than Viz's DNR'd Blu-ray.

Quote:
Kotono Mitsuishi and Kunihiko Ikuhara will be special guests at a talk event as well on 7/1.

And here's hoping it gets taped for that release. Gotta do something to keep anyone else from reverse importing the Viz set...if the locked subs & mono audio didn't stop them.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:42 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ikuhara's reappearance is unexpected, but certainly welcome. Hope we get footage of them, or at least an article summing up what they talked about. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seen2 wrote:
Turns out that HD remaster of the R movie probably *was* done by Toei

Was there any doubt? LOL if Viz knew how to upscale, they would've done it already for the TV series

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What if Ikuhara would return as a director for Crystal season 4? :cool:

Marco Albiero recently posting an art of Ikuhara's old SuperS movie idea and now Ikuhara will be at SMR screening on Usagi Birthday event... CONSPIRCY :P P-:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:51 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:

Marco Albiero recently posting an art of Ikuhara's old SuperS movie idea and now Ikuhara will be at SMR screening on Usagi Birthday event... CONSPIRCY :P P-:

You're making me desire things that are never going to happen..... :supercry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, I would love it if we either got a new version of Ikuhara's SuperS movie or if he returned to direct the Dream (and/or Stars) arc, but I feel like Ikuhara would need to tone it down a bit if he returned for the TV show. Crystal is very close to the manga and I feel like it could certainly benefit from his directorial expertise if he can restrain himself from going all-out (save that for a new movie concept lmao).

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:18 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:

My favorite anime director who happens to be a fan of my favorite senshi bringing my favorite manga arc to life? :love: Nah, it sounds too perfect to actually happen :supercry:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I mean... He already directed an adaptation of the Dream Arc. It was called SuperS, a.k.a. the season almost everyone hates and is the reason people are so desperate for Crystal to do a proper adaptation of that storyline in the first place. I don't get why anyone would want him to come back to direct this of all seasons. :? I get that people love Utena and other stuff he's done, and that he's done some great Sailor Moon stuff (like this movie and the S season), but he's already had his shot at this story and blew it. His idea for the SuperS movie was garbage. And isn't he also responsible for Mamoru's complete character assassination and the infamous break-up arc in R? Crystal has enough problems already, let's not risk Ikuhara adding more, thanks.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly, I think Ikuhara would find having to do a page-by-page manga adaptation extremely limiting. He craved creative independence after leaving the Sailor Moon production and hasn't turned back since.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
MementoNepenthe wrote:
His idea for the SuperS movie was garbage.

You're so right, only because SuperS movie is a total garbage we think his idea looks cool in comparison. But still garbage I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
SuperS was the result of a lot of executive meddling from Toei who wanted to make it into the Chbiusa show which I'm not sure was what he wanted it to turn out to be so I don't think it's fair to blame all the problems with SuperS on Ikuhara. I personally find Ikuhara's plot idea for the SuperS movie was a lot more creative than the final product we got but it doesn't really fit with the tone of the franchise so it's understandable why Toei passed on it. Wikimoon doesn't list Ikuhara as a director for the Mamoru breakup episodes and he seemed to only do a handful of episodes of R. WIkimoon only lists Ikuhara as director of a handful of episodes of the 90s anime in general, so I feel like fans on both sides tend to over-exaggerate just how important Ikuhara was to the 90s anime outside of the R movie. http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Kunihiko_Ikuhara In any case, I doubt Ikuhara is going to come back to directing Crystal. He seems more interested in doing his more avant garde original anime productions like Yuri Kuma Arashi than doing more franchise work. Toei probably wants to keep using their in house Pretty Cure staff for Crystal. But I wonder since Naruto has finished airing now, is there still a chance Chiaki Kon cam come back? I'd be fine with her just finishing the series. In any case, we can debunk unproven rumors without trashing all over his entire filmography just because he was kind of vaguely attached to an unpopular season of Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
SuperS was the result of a lot of executive meddling from Toei who wanted to make it into the Chbiusa show which I'm not sure was what he wanted it to turn out to be so I don't think it's fair to blame all the problems with SuperS on Ikuhara. I personally find Ikuhara's plot idea for the SuperS movie was a lot more creative than the final product we got but it doesn't really fit with the tone of the franchise so it's understandable why Toei passed on it. Wikimoon doesn't list Ikuhara as a director for the Mamoru breakup episodes and he seemed to only do a handful of episodes of R. WIkimoon only lists Ikuhara as director of a handful of episodes of the 90s anime in general, so I feel like fans on both sides tend to over-exaggerate just how important Ikuhara was to the 90s anime outside of the R movie. http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Kunihiko_Ikuhara In any case, I doubt Ikuhara is going to come back to directing Crystal. He seems more interested in doing his more avant garde original anime productions like Yuri Kuma Arashi than doing more franchise work. Toei probably wants to keep using their in house Pretty Cure staff for Crystal. But I wonder since Naruto has finished airing now, is there still a chance Chiaki Kon cam come back? I'd be fine with her just finishing the series. In any case, we can debunk unproven rumors without trashing all over his entire filmography just because he was kind of vaguely attached to an unpopular season of Sailor Moon.

You are right about Chibiusa, but Toei probably didn't say "hey, we want the episodes to be completely set apart from the manga chapters".
And knowing Ikuhara loves creative liberty, it wouldn't be out of character for him to distance from the manga as far as he could. But yes, sure things would be better had Toei not switched the tone of the Supers season so drastically from S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I also don't think it's fair to solely blame Ikuhra for the 90s anime's portrayal of Mamoru. The first season also portrayed Mamoru as a jerk but fans don't seem to hold a grudge against Junichi Sato as much as they do Ikuhara for Mamoru. And whether how much Ikuhara was involved with the breakup subplot, he also gave us the R movie which is probably the most popular portrayal of Mamoru in the 90s anime. But these love/hate relationships were popular tropes in 90s shoujo anime and so I think Toei would have given Usag and Mamoru that kind of adversarial relationship regardless of who was in the director's chair.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:11 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Yeah, I highly doubt he was in charge of things like the Outers' absence from SuperS. Especially when he seemingly loved Haruka and Michiru. Also, wasn't the breakup arc based off of Usagi acting jealous over Chibiusa in the Black Moon arc (you know, the much more ridiculous sub-plot)? It looks like they had the idea that Chibiusa's arrival would mess up their relationship from the get-go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SuperS and Sailor Stars also both began a month earlier than their respective manga arcs. I wonder if this is partly why the last two seasons diverged so much compared to the rest of the anime? Anyway, I agree that Ikuhara probably wasn't at fault for SuperS' problems, but this conversation is pointless because it's almost impossible to believe that he'd come back to Crystal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Seira Hazuki wrote:
SuperS and Sailor Stars also both began a month earlier than their respective manga arcs. I wonder if this is partly why the last two seasons diverged so much compared to the rest of the anime?

Is that why it took so long for the inners to get their upgrades during SuperS? I always wondered about that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:54 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
SuperS and Sailor Stars also both began a month earlier than their respective manga arcs. I wonder if this is partly why the last two seasons diverged so much compared to the rest of the anime? Anyway, I agree that Ikuhara probably wasn't at fault for SuperS' problems, but this conversation is pointless because it's almost impossible to believe that he'd come back to Crystal.

Everything makes a lot more sense now.

The 1st season starts after the manga but catches up pretty fast and Dark Kingdom ends in both versions pretty much at the same time. Then Toei decided to do the Makaiju anime-only arc to give Naoko time for working on the manga. Then R anime and manga also end at the same time and Infinity and S starts. Probably because the first act of Infinty has that dream about searching for talismans Toei decided to do the talisman search arc (again anime-only) to give Naoko time and build the characters for two new senshi. Then S anime ends slightly before the manga and SuperS anime starts. Its possible that this time they didnt want a filler arc like Makaiju was and just decided to do more filler to kill time which would explain why first half of SuperS has way more filler than any other arc. Then Stars starts earlier than the manga probably for two reasons: to adapt the remaining Dream acts (Saturn gets her old age back,Outers do return with her to aid SM, Usagi goes Eternal and they fight Nehelenia) and to give Naoko a bit more time. Finally the anime ends before the manga which explains why some of the manga characters never made into the anime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:15 am 
Luna
Luna
cuau_cg wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:
His idea for the SuperS movie was garbage.

You're so right, only because SuperS movie is a total garbage we think his idea looks cool in comparison. But still garbage I think.

This isn't necessarily the case. I *LOVE* the SuperS movie (I think it's my favorite of the three films, to be honest) and I still think Ikuhara's idea would have been really cool.

Furthermore...

MementoNepenthe wrote:
I mean... He already directed an adaptation of the Dream Arc. It was called SuperS, a.k.a. the season almost everyone hates and is the reason people are so desperate for Crystal to do a proper adaptation of that storyline in the first place. I don't get why anyone would want him to come back to direct this of all seasons. :? I get that people love Utena and other stuff he's done, and that he's done some great Sailor Moon stuff (like this movie and the S season), but he's already had his shot at this story and blew it. His idea for the SuperS movie was garbage. And isn't he also responsible for Mamoru's complete character assassination and the infamous break-up arc in R? Crystal has enough problems already, let's not risk Ikuhara adding more, thanks.

Firstly, why do you think his idea for the SuperS movie was garbage? Just saying so doesn't necessarily make it so. P-:

Secondly, your understanding of his role in Sailor Moon's franchise overall is seriously flawed. Please do more research or at least read what others have been replying to you regarding this post (especially the break-up stuff). As others have pointed out, SuperS was the result of executive meddling and Ikuhara left to do his own thing due to the lack of creative freedom. He probably would have strayed from the manga, as well, but it's clear that he wasn't calling all of the shots in SuperS.

Neon Genesis wrote:
I personally find Ikuhara's plot idea for the SuperS movie was a lot more creative than the final product we got but it doesn't really fit with the tone of the franchise so it's understandable why Toei passed on it.

I don't think Toei passed on it. The original producer (with whom Ikuhara created this prototype of a story) either walked off or chose to do another project, and Ikuhara didn't feel right doing the project as they originally envisioned together without him. I believe there's an interview out there with Ikuhara in which he flat-out states he could have stayed on and done the movie his way, but he didn't want to without the original producer.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Why do I think his SuperS movie idea was garbage?

1. The "End of the World" stuff sounds corny to me.
2. Why is Neptune, of all people, put under some sleep curse? And by whom?
3. Why would I want to watch a Sailor MOON movie that sounds like it's 90% about Uranus and Neptune, two characters who I find terribly boring in the anime? Was that supposed to make up for their absence in SuperS?
4. Why would I want to watch Uranus and Moon fight once again. I already skip over the penultimate S episode because it's dreadful. I think I'll pass on the feature length version, 'kay thanks bye.

Furthermore, I don't know a lot about the staff/BTS stuff regarding the 90s anime because I don't particularly care. I was just going off what I've gleamed from others' comments about Ikuhara over the years. If my understanding of his role was flawed in some way, I'm happy to be corrected, but I can do without your condescending tone. In any event, while I'm sure Toei pushed for SuperS to heavily focus on Chibiusa, I doubt they also demanded 95% of the episodes to be formulaic filler centered around nobody characters, or for the Outers to not appear, or any of the other numerous deviations from the manga. And SuperS premiering a month before the first chapter of Dream came out doesn't explain that stuff either. It's not like Naoko was writing the manga in seclusion on some desert island where she couldn't contact the anime staff and vice versa. I'm sure they knew what was going to happen in the manga sufficiently ahead of time to incorporate basic things like the Quartet being Sailors or the Golden Crystal being Mamoru's equivalent of the Silver Crystal.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:17 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Everyone here's arguing off the topic and I'm just sitting here in excitement for some neat details. It would be nice to see Ikuhara again, and I don't really find SuperS to be THAT bad so far personally.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MementoNepenthe wrote:

3. Why would I want to watch a Sailor MOON movie that sounds like it's 90% about Uranus and Neptune, two characters who I find terribly boring in the anime? Was that supposed to make up for their absence in SuperS?
4. Why would I want to watch Uranus and Moon fight once again. I already skip over the penultimate S episode because it's dreadful. I think I'll pass on the feature length version, 'kay thanks bye.

Furthermore, I don't know a lot about the staff/BTS stuff regarding the 90s anime because I don't particularly care. I was just going off what I've gleamed from others' comments about Ikuhara over the years. If my understanding of his role was flawed in some way, I'm happy to be corrected, but I can do without your condescending tone. In any event, while I'm sure Toei pushed for SuperS to heavily focus on Chibiusa, I doubt they also demanded 95% of the episodes to be formulaic filler centered around nobody characters, or for the Outers to not appear, or any of the other numerous deviations from the manga. And SuperS premiering a month before the first chapter of Dream came out doesn't explain that stuff either. It's not like Naoko was writing the manga in seclusion on some desert island where she couldn't contact the anime staff and vice versa. I'm sure they knew what was going to happen in the manga sufficiently ahead of time to incorporate basic things like the Quartet being Sailors or the Golden Crystal being Mamoru's equivalent of the Silver Crystal.

But Naoko sometimes didn't even fully know where her own story was going half the time... I'm sure there were deliberate decisions made to not follow the manga on certain points, but you can tell that the first three seasons followed the basic outline of the manga's story. The last two did not and it's hard to dismiss the timeline of the manga's creation as a coincidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Personal feelings to me should be separate from the facts of how SuperS turned out how it did. I don't think it's fair to attack Ikuhara's qualities because of personal subjective feelings about the Outers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Well, coming up with a Sailor Moon movie about Uranus and Neptune isn't unfitting for someone willing to make a season about Chibimoon.
Seeing as how Sailor Moon R handled Usagi and Mamoru and how UraNep were actually more interesting than them in the S season, someone could say Ikuhara was turned off by the "miracle romance" the series centered on.
I don't deny that Toei and Bandai wanted to make Sailor Moon more appealing to little girls at the time of SuperS (Bandai was entering a finnancial crisis back then), but picturing Ikuhara as someone who differentiated greatly from the manga out of free will doesn't work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:31 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova

http://sailormoon-official.com/informat ... hday_r.php

Images of the clear-files have been released along with more information about the other special guests.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Huh? So the other guests are just Shizuka Itō (Crystal Sailor Venus) & Hotaru Nomoto (current Myu Sailor Moon)? Wonder why just them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Huh? So the other guests are just Shizuka Itō (Crystal Sailor Venus) & Hotaru Nomoto (current Myu Sailor Moon)? Wonder why just them?

A bit of disappointment. :confused:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Other: Married to Ryo!
Why does the one clearfile have SuperS Sailor Moon and S Chibimoon? :/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:29 pm 
Luna
Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:

So you think it's garbage because you just don't like the concept and you don't like Uranus and Neptune in the 90s anime. That's fair. I disagree 100% but I do think it's fair.

Quote:

I didn't say anything condescending -- I said that your understanding of Ikuhara's role in regards to how the anime was made is flawed, and I advised you to do more research before you talk about things that you yourself admitted you don't know a lot about. That's not condescending -- it's the truth.

Ikuhara is definitely a free spirit and he enjoys having a lot of creative control in his projects, but he specifically left Sailor Moon because he wanted that level of creative control in his work. It doesn't make sense to attribute all of the flaws of SuperS to him when he himself stated he didn't have enough creative control for his taste.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I also don't think it's fair to solely blame Ikuhra for the 90s anime's portrayal of Mamoru. The first season also portrayed Mamoru as a jerk but fans don't seem to hold a grudge against Junichi Sato as much as they do Ikuhara for Mamoru. And whether how much Ikuhara was involved with the breakup subplot, he also gave us the R movie which is probably the most popular portrayal of Mamoru in the 90s anime. But these love/hate relationships were popular tropes in 90s shoujo anime and so I think Toei would have given Usag and Mamoru that kind of adversarial relationship regardless of who was in the director's chair.

I think the biggest problem was a staff member I heard generally believe that men ruin relationships. Which is such a dumb remark? I don' hate Ikuhera but I think he is better . Making his own things .I didn't like what Haruka, and Michiru was portrayed. I kinda agree with the super s movie . That s suds okay, but it's not sailor moon