Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Is Sailor Moon similar to Cardcator Sakura?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:13 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
There really nothing alike . The only real similarity is that they're both magical girls .

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
There really nothing alike . The only real similarity is that they're both magical girls .

It's like comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. 8)

In this case Card Captor Sakura is more light hearted. :innocent:

But you can still enjoy both. :keke:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
rgveda99 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

It's like comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. 8)

In this case Card Captor Sakura is more light hearted. :innocent:

But you can still enjoy both. :keke:

oh yes, I love Star Trek too, and all this endless comparisons between ST and Star Wars is so annoying, I don't know why many people keep comparing these 2 franchises when they have little in common, except for the fact that they're both the same Sci-Fi genre and about space travel, but these are really the only similarities. ST is about science and is more cerebral and intellectual, while SW is about fantasy and action.

It's a similar case with SM and CCS, they're both shoujo manga/anime franchises with "magical girl" theme and both have a talking mentor character that is a creature/animal, but these are really the only similarities as far as I can tell, everything else about these 2 franchises are different.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
People also do the same thing all the time with Harry Potter and LOTR.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
That's true too, although in recent years it seems more people tend to compare Harry Potter with the Twilight movies, which is even more ridiculous considering they have virtually nothing in common, HP is about magic and wizardry, while Twilight is about vampires & the supernatural. But some people still tend to compare them anyway apparently simply because both franchises are very popular.

I love CCS too, in fact it was the second anime series I had ever watched after SM, and although there are a few similarities between them which many of us have already pointed out in this thread, but in terms of the actual storylines and basis of SM and CCS, they are both still largely different to each other.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:05 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The DiC dub should never be compared to what Nelvana did to CCS. DiC was a mess, but they didn't try to change the plot or the main character of the show, plus it had some great VAs and BGM.

I'm one of the few that doesn't mind the subpar acting of the Animax CCS dub. The voices themselves are mostly accurate and it's a faithful adaptation. The Nelvana dub (which I also grew up with) may have better acting, but listening to Sakura and "Madison" is like nails on a chalkboard, and the replacement music is basic and non-inspiring. The English dub of the second CCS movie (done by another company) was near flawless though.

As others have said, the main similarities begin and end at "magical girl protagonist with an mascot companion as a guide".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Based on interviews and articles I have read, a TV station (with the idea of creating an anime) approached CLAMP and explicitly asked them to create a shoujo story similar to "Sailor Moon."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I would say I'm kind of mixed on Cardcaptors. Most of the severe cuts seem to have been more done at the request of Kid's WB than Nelvana. In comparison, the episodes that wasn't aired in the U.S. were much more faithful to the original though still had some localization and rewrites. The voice acting was one aspect that I did like about Cardcaptors. I think the big problem was with the voice directing. Maggie Blue O'Hara is actually very good as Marie Meia in Gundam Wing Endless Waltz and Kitty Pryde in X-men Evolution and I thought she did the best she could with Madison but she was just miscast as her. Kero was the other one I thought was miscast but most of the rest were pretty decent to me with the material they had to work with. I'm kind of mixed on the Animax dub. Some of the voices are fine in theory but are wooden with their performances. I think the older male characters like Touya and Fujitaka and Yukito had the best voices and Sakura was ok and Syaoran and Meiling were my least favorites. I think the Animax dub is fine to introduce younger kids to CCS that aren't old enough to read subtitles with. But while Cardcaptors was a more heavily butchered dub, it at least feels more like a finished professional product to me and Animax's dub sounds more like a fandub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Not really.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Nelvana did dub all 70 episodes of CCS in the correct order (mostly), the larger problem lies with Kids WB wanting a male protagonist and messing around with the episodes. This only effects what was broadcast in North America, as here in the UK (and the land down under) we had the full 70 episodes broadcast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JupitersLightningRod wrote:
Nelvana did dub all 70 episodes of CCS in the correct order (mostly), the larger problem lies with Kids WB wanting a male protagonist and messing around with the episodes. This only effects what was broadcast in North America, as here in the UK (and the land down under) we had the full 70 episodes broadcast.

did they censor the relationships?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Based on interviews and articles I have read, a TV station (with the idea of creating an anime) approached CLAMP and explicitly asked them to create a shoujo story similar to "Sailor Moon."

If so, they actually created something not so similar, then. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:57 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Clow wrote:

They did. The western adaptation is still wholly present (names, VA's and such), so for the most part it's the same dubbing, just that there is a the full series there that kept Sakura as the lead character.

I'm not trying to say that it's amazing or anything, but having the full complement of episodes and having them aired in the correct order, is a step up which does make some difference, and one I'm thankful for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well, Ruby Moon is pretty much a blatant Sailor Moon reference, not only by the name, but the actual design is essentially CLAMP's take on Black Lady.
That's were it ends anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
C-17 wrote:
Well, Ruby Moon is pretty much a blatant Sailor Moon reference, not only by the name, but the actual design is essentially CLAMP's take on Black Lady.

They do look alike in certain ways. BTW: :lol:

https://lady-narven.deviantart.com/art/ ... -108155403

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

If so, they actually created something not so similar, then. :P

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Cardcaptor Sakura was first conceived shortly before the conclusion of Clamp's Magic Knight Rayearth, which was serialized in Nakayoshi.[2] Clamp's head editor Yamonouchi asked them to do another series in Nakayoshi, and Clamp decided to make a "Nakayoshi-esque" series, as opposed to Rayearth, which Clamp described as unlike anything they had done before. Head Clamp writer Nanase Ohkawa's first impulse was to create a magical girl series, despite not being well-versed in the genre. Ohkawa wanted the heroine Sakura to be in the same age group as the majority of Nakayoshi's readers so that fans could relate to her. Due to it being different from how Clamp normally conceived characters, Ohkawa designed the other characters such as Tomoyo and Cerberus to be more like Clamp's previous creations. Once Ohkawa had enough information on the characters, she had the three artists in Clamp—Mokona, Tsubaki Nekoi and Satsuki Igarashi—design them based on her descriptions. When designing Cerberus, Ohkawa wanted a mascot-type companion for Sakura, but Nekoi tried various forms, including dogs and squirrels, before designing the final version. Syaoran and Toya were conceived to be a common type of character featured in Clamp's works.[2]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:02 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Yeah, the two works are similar in that both belong to the magical-girl genre, but the character designs & plot settings in them aren't so similar, especially when comparing w/ a number of other more Sailor Moon-like works. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I feel like Cardcaptor Sakura has more in common with monster battle anime like Pokemon and Digimon and the magical girl aspect is actually kind of secondary to the collecting aspect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:10 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
C-17 wrote:

as a self proclaimed ccs expert,i never could have guessed that :shocked: they are really so similar maybe that's why i like ruby moon too,because i adore black lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:27 am 
Planeta
Planeta
No... I disagree... I think that Ruby Moon is Ruby Moon; any coincidences with Black Lady are purely accidental.

Also let's not forget that Black Lady's design was stolen from inspired by an ad featuring the fragrance Opium by Yves Saint Laurent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ Yeah, the two works are similar in that both belong to the magical-girl genre, but the character designs & plot settings in them aren't so similar, especially when comparing w/ a number of other more Sailor Moon-like works. :)

Well the creators were asked to create something similar and not plagiarize it like Wedding Peach. :vanish:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:14 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ That depends on how you use the words "similar" & "plagiarize" here. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:36 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
Clow wrote:

the OG dub was awful they omitted episodes that Shaoran wasn't in (which cause so many continuity errors its not funny) almost all the relationships save for Shaoran and Sakura were omitted heck even Tomoyo's feelings towards Sakura weren't present in the dub (the current dub I adore its wonderful) not to mention they censored Sakura's 5 second bath scene by adding a school swimsuit over her despite not seeing anything in the Jap version (it was blink and you'll miss it type of scene) and the VA's were terrible though Sakura was passible (she didn't sound like a ten year old to me) that's just my views though oh and Ruby Moon reminded me more of Luna than anything

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
We're aware of the Kids WB butchering released in Northern America, but as I pointed out in my comment (part of what you've quoted) it wasn't quite so bad for those of us elsewhere in the world where we got the full 70 episodes of the show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
No... I disagree... I think that Ruby Moon is Ruby Moon; any coincidences with Black Lady are purely accidental

Not only the design is visibly similar, but many of the character's traits are clear Sailor Moon nods:

* Usagi's signature odango hairstyle, and Black Lady's outfit color pattern is mirrored almost to exactitude.
* Her name is "Ruby Moon" despite of the fact that all of the other characters in Sakura's manga have "normal", asian-sounding names.
* Her companion/mascot is a black cat.
* Her powers are moon-related.

Is not even subtle, and they clearly intended it as a homage. Of course "Ruby Moon is Ruby Moon", CLAMP didn't "stole" Naoko's character.
But they totally payed tribute to Takeuchi's work with that character, and is pretty obvious. As a fan of both series, I think it's actually really cool, and is a sign of respect toward's Naoko's influence on the genre, rather than a rip-off.
Not to mention this type of "re-imagining" of other author's designs is completely normal among most mangakas. Rurouni Kenshin's author, Nobuhiro Watsuki, had a whole section in his manga dedicated to reveal the inspiration behind his character designs.
Most of his designs were inspired by other people's characters, which he adapted to his own style.
There's nothing wrong about it, as long as you create something new out of the reference character.
Ruby Moon isn't "a Black Lady rip-off", as personality wise they're totally different characters. But the coincidences, design and concept wise, are obviously intentional.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
It's interesting to point out that Cardcaptor Sakura also casts a lot of former Sailor Moon voice artists. Kotono Mitsuishi is Maki, Aya Hisakawa is Kero, Emi Shinohara is Kaho, and Megumi Ogata is Yukito.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:10 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Neon Genesis wrote:
It's interesting to point out that Cardcaptor Sakura also casts a lot of former Sailor Moon voice artists. Kotono Mitsuishi is Maki, Aya Hisakawa is Kero, Emi Shinohara is Kaho, and Megumi Ogata is Yukito.

Megumi Ogata had worked with CLAMP before --she voiced Eagle in MKR.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^Also as Princess Emeraude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MeinHerr wrote:

Yes! MKR reminds me a bit of Michael Ende's Die unendliche Geschichte which is one of my favorite books. The twist at the end is reealllyyy good. Now I feel like watching the OVA.

Ok...that comparison alone got me very interested. I have several shows I'm trying to watch right now but this MKR may have just made the list for someday just on The Neverending Story comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Clow wrote:
No... I disagree... I think that Ruby Moon is Ruby Moon; any coincidences with Black Lady are purely accidental.

Also let's not forget that Black Lady's design was stolen from inspired by an ad featuring the fragrance Opium by Yves Saint Laurent.

So it's stealing/ripping off when Naoko does it, but a coincidence when CLAMP does it? :P