* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Glitter Force and Other Similar Sailor Moon Copycats
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Is this going to turn into another anti Naoko thread?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, let's keep in mind that this thread isn't for discussing the overall quality of Sailor Moon. Let's keep it focused on Sailor Moon in relation to PreCure and similar shows, like the subject line suggests.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:42 pm 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
John wrote:
Yeah, let's keep in mind that this thread isn't for discussing the overall quality of Sailor Moon. Let's keep it focused on Sailor Moon in relation to PreCure and similar shows, like the subject line suggests.

I didn't know they made you a mod john.... oh wait... soo...

Attachments:
13817137_1066698763418917_1804147193_n.gif
13817137_1066698763418917_1804147193_n.gif [ 518.4 KiB | Viewed 1576 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Well if talking off topic is what you all wanna do I can simply lock this thread and you can off topic in another thread to which will also be locked or you can just go back on topic as of the next post, don't respond to me just go back on topic

Any post responding to this specific post will be cauldroned

Attachments:
Moon says stop it.jpg
Moon says stop it.jpg [ 39.6 KiB | Viewed 1521 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:55 pm 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well, on my end I'm glad there are two versions of precure to choose from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^ Me too, Boro.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Has anyone here seen Glitter Force yet? I think I'd prefer PreCure...does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

Could there be comparisons to be made with Glitter Force and Sailor Moon's DiC dub? Is it "that" kind of dub?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:04 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Quote:
.does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

For me the most good season: HeartCatch Precure
It has simple childish character designs, but the story IS SO GOOD,specially last episodes
And animation also good for TOEI
And it has A M A Z I N G soundtrack :love:
sorry, english is my not native language

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
John wrote:
does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

I recommend the original series, Futari wa Pretty Cure. It is the very start of the Precure franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
John wrote:
does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

I recommend the original series, Futari wa Pretty Cure. It is the very start of the Precure franchise.

I wouldn't really recommend Futari wa. Yeah, it's what started everything but there are much better seasons than it now. HeartCatch, Go Princess, Smile, Suite and even Fresh are the best seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
John wrote:
Has anyone here seen Glitter Force yet? I think I'd prefer PreCure...does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

Could there be comparisons to be made with Glitter Force and Sailor Moon's DiC dub? Is it "that" kind of dub?
I've seen a bit of the dub. The voice acting is pretty impressive and I appreciate they picked actual professional anime voice actors. If you're a fan of the Sailor Moon Viz dub, Kate Higgins, the Viz VA of Sailor Mercury, is the dub voice of Glitter Breeze. But I find the way they have the characters talking constantly in scenes that were originally silent to be really annoying and the Americanization is off the walls. At one point in the first episode, they have Emily reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, which not even the DiC dub of Sailor Moon ever went that far. They also skip a lot of episodes, none of which are all that important, but are episodes I enjoyed in the original, so I was sad to see them cut. I also find the dub music to be very bland which I was most disappointed with. Like Mew Mew Power had a lot of Americanization and character changes and stuff, but it still had a fantastic soundtrack and the dub music is pretty impressive, so I didn't mind watching it. The music in Glitter Force isn't like awful but it's so bland. I think that's my overall problem with Glitter Force is that it's a very bland dub and there's nothing fun about it which disappoints me as I enjoyed Saban's dub of Digimon a lot. I think if you really hate watching subbed anime or if you want to introduce anime to kids, Glitter Force is harmless enough. It's just a really bland dub.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:33 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Going by what I've heard (I've only watched the first show myself which I did like)...

Best Precure: Heartcatch
Worst Precure: A tie between Dokidoki & Happiness Charge

@John If you plan to watch the first series legally then be warned

http://www.crunchyroll.com/pretty-cure

The video & audio quality are not that great because Toei sent everyone low quality streams from 10 years ago that sounds more like it's from 30 years ago. There were other old shows packaged with Pretty Cure that Toei had sent to companies around that time which had similar problems (Fun Fact: Hulu rejected one of them because it's quality was worse than the others) but in those cases, Toei did the sub translations themselves while for Pretty Cure, these were done by Hawaii-based TV network Nippon Golden Network and are just as wonky as the others. They also have clean sponsor & next time cards which has me thinking that they might be straight VHS rips that were meant for their TV broadcast (as that channel was known for airing subtitled content) so if you can deal with those issues then you should be fine with watching this show.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:44 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I still wish we could get a home video release of both the sub and dub of the original PreCure. If you can watch it, the original Ocean dub of PreCure is really impressive. The only changes they made were they created a new opening theme song and they changed the names. But the episodes are all uncut, the dialog is extremely faithful to the original, and they kept all the Japanese BGM for the dub. If these were the only changes Saban made to Glitter Force, i wouldn't have any issue with it. But they make some very weird choices, like trying to change it to make Emily have visions of the future by inserting clips from future episodes into a "dream" sequence in the first episode.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
danilushk wrote:
Quote:
.does anyone have a PreCure title to recommend for a newbie?

For me the most good season: HeartCatch Precure
It has simple childish character designs, but the story IS SO GOOD,specially last episodes
And animation also good for TOEI
And it has A M A Z I N G soundtrack :love:
sorry, english is my not native language

I also recommend HeartCatch. :)
I'm rather new to PreCure as well, but that one was recommended to me multiple times so I gave it a watch first, and it didn't disappoint!

There's also a quiz here, which might help you make a decision on which PreCure series to watch first.

http://www.cureblogger.com/what-is-your ... r-precure/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I chose not to know or consider PreCure before August 2017, and I still don't know it-- since I've been bingeing on Glitter Force (Smile) and Doki doki. But man, I feel guilty. I've really enjoyed them: Saban butchering and all. I shed tears at Glitter Force! It's just so sweet and glittery and sugary and friendshippy! The lessons are so smack-you-in-the-face-and-in-the-feels.

And the close combat is refreshing. (maybe pun intended).

Another life lesson from Sailor Moon: Can't fight the moonlight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Also Idol Angel Yokoso Yoko premiered a year before Sailor Moon did:

Notice the character design for the main character and the pose.

Naoko's original design for Jupiter was to be green-haired with a ponytail as well, they better sue!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:18 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Takeuchi: "Sue me. :tongue: "

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
I wonder why they would edit a series like precure. Is precure unsuitable for young viewers?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Clow wrote:
I wonder why they would edit a series like precure. Is precure unsuitable for young viewers?

Because it is (or was) Saban, they get global rights to stuff outside of Asia and do what they think is right for American children and give everyone else around the world their crap to work with. See why there are multiple dubs on Netflix & Italy getting syndicated TV rights to their Smile dub after years of airing previous Precure seasons themselves before Saban screwed everything up, forcing them to skip a season (Suite).

They're basically no different from the 4Kids of last decade and the old Saban from the 80s-early 00s when it comes to handling foreign properties.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I assume Saban thought making a localized dub would appeal to a wider audience than simply hardcore otaku fans and they would make a higher profit that way as Saban had a lot of success with localized dubs before like Digimon. But Saban seems to have done little in the way of marketing and promoting the franchise.