Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: According to a psychologist, SM makes young boys gay.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:37 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 78 months ago
inactive
Did anyone happen to notice this on the WikiMoon page?

I found this in the notes under the Starlights' page and in the Sailor Moon in Italy article.

In the Italian dub of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, the Starlights' sex switching was not present. Instead the Sailor Starlights were said to be the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This explanation was added to the Italian dub after Vera Slepoj, a psychologist, claimed that Sailor Moon made young boys become homosexual.[4]

In Italy the anime was blamed by some psychologists and parents' associations because of its violent scenes and sexual references which, in their opinion, made it unfit for a young audience. In 1997 the psychologist Vera Slepoj declared that the last season would seriously compromise children's sexual identity, because of the Three Lights' sex change when they transformed into Sailor Senshi. Because of this, there were a number of changes which altered the storyline and affected the popularity of the series, one of which was that the Sailor Starlights were the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This change, however, did not occur until episode 188.

So... yeah. =\
Your views? xD

Post subject: Re: According to a psychologist, SM makes young boys gay.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:44 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 75 months ago
inactive
My opinion? : A pile of bull.

The people who say things like that are the ones who claim homosexuality is a mental illness that a parent should attempt to 'cure,' or 'correct.'

You don't turn gay, it's the way you are and the day you "become" gay is the day that you become aware of and accept it.

It's also like how apparently playing Mario makes people want to strap bombs around their waists and get on a bus full of people.

I try not to get too angry over the ignorance and just roll my eyes at it instead. It's a touchy topic, and those people aren't ever going to change their minds. =/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:49 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 78 months ago
inactive
Neo Moonlight wrote:
The people who say things like that are the ones who claim homosexuality is a mental illness that a parent should attempt to 'cure,' or 'correct.'

You don't turn gay, it's the way you are and the day you "become" gay is the day that you become aware of and accept it.

I agree.
I'd like to go into more detail but if I do then the topic will eventually revolve around homosexuality.

...Or maybe it already does?
I'm rethinking my decision to post this here. >_>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:54 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Quote:
According to a psychologist, SM makes young boys gay.

I always said that Mamoru wasn't supposed to be.

It was a joke! :P

Quote:
In the Italian dub of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, the Starlights' sex switching was not present. Instead the Sailor Starlights were said to be the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This explanation was added to the Italian dub after Vera Slepoj, a psychologist, claimed that Sailor Moon made young boys become homosexual.

Excuses. Just the same kind of *cough cough* what is happening around the world in a lot more serious things. Like in child welfare. Some people just can't stand that there is people who are not masses.

Quote:
[i]In Italy the anime was blamed by some psychologists and parents' associations because of its violent scenes and sexual references which, in their opinion, made it unfit for a young audience.

I said SM is not for kids. :tongue:

Quote:
In 1997 the psychologist Vera Slepoj declared that the last season would seriously compromise children's sexual identity, because of the Three Lights' sex change when they transformed into Sailor Senshi. Because of this, there were a number of changes which altered the storyline and affected the popularity of the series, one of which was that the Sailor Starlights were the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This change, however, did not occur until episode 188.

What I just said.

Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.. Dear.
Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 am 
inactive
Saior Moon turned me into a long-legs-sexual D:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:20 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 80 months ago
inactive
Oh dear...
This sounds like the old theory about playing violent games makes kids go out an kill eachother. -_- I play Mario Kart but it doesn't make me go out driving like a maniac and throwing bannana skins at other cars.
I grew up watching Sailor Moon and it made absolutly no effect on my sexuality (although I'm a girl, so acording to this I'm probably imune). Speaking as a bisexual, I'm pretty sure I was born this way and it had nothing to do with watching Sailor Moon, or any other anime for that matter.
To me this article sounds a bit like homophobic parents who can't stand the fact that one of their children might be gay and are looking for someone to pass the 'blame' onto.

Zoisite: Remove that bra; it would look better on me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:25 am 
inactive
Channiegurl wrote:
Oh dear...
This sounds like the old theory about playing violent games makes kids go out an kill eachother. -_- I play Mario Kart but it doesn't make me go out driving like a maniac and throwing bannana skins at other cars.

Exactly. :roll:

Quote:
I grew up watching Sailor Moon and it made absolutly no effect on my sexuality (although I'm a girl, so acording to this I'm probably imune).

No, you aren't... :P

Quote:
To me this article sounds a bit like homophobic parents who can't stand the fact that one of their children might be gay and are looking for someone to pass the 'blame' onto.

That it is.

Quote:
Speaking as a bisexual, I'm pretty sure I was born this way and it had nothing to do with watching Sailor Moon, or any other anime for that matter.

Very possible. A lot more possible than that it would have affected.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:35 am 
inactive
Mimi-chan wrote:
Channiegurl wrote:

Speaking as a bisexual, I'm pretty sure I was born this way and it had nothing to do with watching Sailor Moon, or any other anime for that matter.

Very possible. A lot more possible than that it would have affected.

I am well aware that some people 'turn' gay later on in life, but I've never heard anything so silly as that it was becaue they watched an anime sereis. If anything affects your sexuality it's your childhood, how you grew up, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 am 
inactive
Channiegurl wrote:
I am well aware that some people 'turn' gay later on in life, but I've never heard anything so silly as that it was because they watched an anime series.

Silly it is, indeed. This is just one more topic which'd lead me to bash racists again. :P

Quote:
If anything affects your sexuality it's your childhood, how you grew up, that sort of thing.

Heh, but anime belongs to childhood. :tongue: (Doesn't mean that I'd be supporting this stupid theory) Did you mean more like upbringing?

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 am 
inactive
Mimi-chan wrote:
Channiegurl wrote:

If anything affects your sexuality it's your childhood, how you grew up, that sort of thing.

Heh, but anime belongs to childhood. :tongue: (Doesn't mean that I'd be supporting this stupid theory) Did you mean more like upbringing?

haha, so it is! XD Yes, I meant upbringing. And experiences from your childhood, eithre positive or negative. Again, this is all just how it is for me. Everyone is different. But if anytihng turned me, it was stuff that happened when I was a kid (Let's not get into it right now, thanks).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One's genuine sexual orientation is hardwired in his/her brain (it even has nothing to do w/ their genitals, hormone secretions, etc.). There's always been a certain proportion of the population being homosexual throughout human history, & some latest theories have even suggested that that's actually beneficial to the survival of the species as a whole (even tho homosexual couples can't procreate). :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
Speaking as someone who learned about my bodily changes while watching the series I will make the argument that the series is far more likely to cause heterosexual stimulation in young boys then anything else.

If anything the series is far more likely to cause homosexuality in girls, after all who can resist the perfection of a Sailor Senshi?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 am 
inactive
Wildtwilight wrote:
Speaking as someone who learned about my bodily changes while watching the series I will make the argument that the series is far more likely to cause heterosexual stimulation in young boys then anything else.

If anything the series is far more likely to cause homosexuality in girls, after all who can resist the perfection of a Sailor Senshi?

Exactly. :P To everything. Tough I don't think any series can necessarily turn one to homosexual.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:38 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Mimi-chan wrote:
Wildtwilight wrote:

Exactly. :P To everything. Tough I don't think any series can necessarily turn one to homosexual.

Nor do I think it can really change one's whatever sexual orientation in any way (even tho some pre-puberty lil girls might vow they wouldn't get married for the rest of their life in order to fulfil the duty as a Senshi l o l ).

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:40 am 
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
(even tho some pre-puberty lil girls might vow they wouldn't get married for the rest of their life in order to fulfil the duty as a Senshi l o l ).

lulz

Quote:
Nor do I think it can really change one's sexual orientation in any way

Actually I meant that, I just said wrong. :tongue: But thanks.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 am 
Gurges Ater
Gurges Ater
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I suppose it has more to do with people's views on homosexuality rather than with possibility of the series "changing" anybody's sexual preferences. If homosexuality is normal then even if the series indeed "converted" somebody is of no importance and can't be a matter of argument (after all, if some series encourage heterosexual behavior, why it should be any different with homosexuality?) If, however, homosexuality is regarded as illness of some kind, than Sailor Moon should be censored disregardful of the fact if there are proven cases of anybody changing their sexual preferences to homosexuality because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
I suppose it has more to do with people's views on homosexuality rather than with possibility of the series "changing" anybody's sexual preferences. If homosexuality is normal then even if the series indeed "converted" somebody is of no importance and can't be a matter of argument (after all, if some series encourage heterosexual behavior, why it should be any different with homosexuality?) If, however, homosexuality is regarded as illness of some kind, than Sailor Moon should be censored disregardful of the fact if there are proven cases of anybody changing their sexual preferences to homosexuality because of it.

That's also very true, but y'know, that's in Italy, where the seat of the Holy See is. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:49 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 44 months ago
inactive
Location: Hanging from the ceiling right there. Behind Seiya. :D
Quote:

I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Someone always has to find something to complain about. :roll: In particular, how will SM make boys homosexual, when it's full of girls in short skirts and long legs? There are plenty of anime much, much worse than SM-incomparable.
As for the Starlights, leave the sex change alone- in terms of guys, as long as they aren't falling in love with Seiya/Yaten/Taiki (in which case, they could just as well fall in love with Mamoru, since they were clearly already homosexual), they shouldn't have any issues with sexual identity. If they like their Starlight forms, then probably there is a bit of bi-sexuality there, or maybe just a preference for very masculine women. xD But that still wouldn’t change their orientation. And in the case of Maker, even after seeing Taiki turn into her I'm still not convinced that's a girl. xD If it were up to me, I'd write a 6th season towards the middle of which we'd have male super starlights :P Either way, a straight guy is unlikely to be attracted to them. I highly doubt Starlights or any other character will change someone's orientation. As I'm sure everyone is aware of by now, I can make an example of myself. I :love: Sei-chan very much, but this has had no effect on my sexuality- I have never felt any waver from being heterosexual. It's all about the person being conscious of what they are, and comfortable with it. What it could do, however, is make the person aware of their innate predisposition to a particular gender- which is a good thing (and something they would eventually realise anyway). The very fact that this 'psychologist' is suggesting that an anime can change something this profound tells me she needs to go back to university- she fails. If anything, don’t show the anime to an eight year old, since it may confuse them a bit, if the aren’t used to the weirdness of Japanese cartoons. :P

Haiiii *runs in one direction*
'Get-up, Odango! No excuses!!'
Haiiiii *runs in other direction*
'MAMO-CHAN IS WORTH IT'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:25 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'll agree with the general ridiculousness of the statement.

Of course, the question of homosexuality being a "choice" or not is a complicated one. I'm a staunch believer that homosexuality is largely determined at birth, as a mix of genetic and environmental (womb environmental, not upbringing environmental) factors, but I think there can also be some life experiences that can influence sexuality. In the same sense that some life experience can cause a guy to have a fetish for red heads it's just logical that someone who's born a little more on the bisexual part of the spectrum may be swayed a little more one way or the other based on their life experiences. For example, women often are more likely to be a bit more bisexual than men, and it's not uncommon for women who've been abused in the past to self identify as lesbians. This doesn't mean they weren't born with some gayness to them, but it could surely contribute to how they turned out.

That being said, even accounting for some amount of wiggle room there, any suggestion that any TV or movie is going to "make someone gay" is just idiocy, and this example is particularly ridiculous as there's nothing attractive about a douche bag like Seiya...

And ultimately, this kind of ☹ just leads to scientifically invalid ideas like the Ex-gay movement amongst religious extremists that wish to "cure" homosexuality when there's really nothing wrong with it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:42 pm 
inactive
aDam wrote:
I'll agree with the general ridiculousness of the statement.

Of course, the question of homosexuality being a "choice" or not is a complicated one. I'm a staunch believer that homosexuality is largely determined at birth, as a mix of genetic and environmental (womb environmental, not upbringing environmental) factors, but I think there can also be some life experiences that can influence sexuality. In the same sense that some life experience can cause a guy to have a fetish for red heads it's just logical that someone who's born a little more on the bisexual part of the spectrum may be swayed a little more one way or the other based on their life experiences.

That being said, even accounting for some amount of wiggle room there, any suggestion that any TV or movie is going to "make someone gay" is just idiocy, and this example is particularly ridiculous as there's nothing attractive about a douche bag like Seiya...

And ultimately, this kind of ☹ just leads to scientifically invalid ideas like the Ex-gay movement amongst religious extremists that wish to "cure" homosexuality when there's really nothing wrong with it.

As you can all see, aDam has proved my point- this wild backlash against Seiya is the response of a typical red-blooded male, feeling a little discomfort at his countenance. :roll: aDam has not been made homosexual by the Starlights. There is, however, no need to be insulting to a character- you can prove how much you find the person 'unattractive' with some modicum of respect for other people.
Also, I very much agree with you on most of the above ^, and it should be accentuated that you can't 'wiggle' anywhere unless you have an inborn tendency to do so.

'MAMO-CHAN IS WORTH IT'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Nike-chan wrote:
The very fact that this 'psychologist' is suggesting that an anime can change something this profound tells me she needs to go back to university- she fails.

I guess she's a Vatican psychologist. :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:58 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
@Nike-chan: Erm, Seiya is a fictional character, it's impossible to "insult" him/her.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:05 pm 
inactive
kikyo hino wrote:
@Nike-chan: Erm, Seiya is a fictional character, it's impossible to "insult" him/her.

Demo- tis possible to insult their countenance/persona, and tis definately possible to insult me. You know what I mean anyway. :ohmy:
@Rika- she very well could be XD

'MAMO-CHAN IS WORTH IT'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:10 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nike-chan wrote:
kikyo hino wrote:

Demo- tis possible to insult their countenance/persona, and tis definately possible to insult me. You know what I mean anyway. :ohmy:

But what about the Mamoru fans? I don't think they'd appreciate Mamoru being bashed like no tomorrow.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

Last edited by kikyo hino on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:11 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Nike-chan wrote:
The very fact that this 'psychologist' is suggesting that an anime can change something this profound tells me she needs to go back to university- she fails.

I guess she's a Vatican psychologist. :P

Sadly, there are many such psychologists in strongly Catholic countries; mine, too. :dead: Psychologists who still argue homosexuality is a disease and that the Telletubbies "promote" homosexuality. :grey:

I have nothing new to add except my own rant:

I have no words for such statements, seriously. There's no way in hell a show of any kind can make you go homo, hetero or bi. It's just a bunch of crap. I think that, in actual fact, it's just a fairly politically correct way of expressing the view that "homosexual characters shouldn't be presented as entirely positive and their sexuality should be addressed with a negative judgement rather than not be addressed at all as if it's something normal". So they say "kids can go gay if they watch it" and that, sometimes, is enough for some ill-educated people. I notice that many such "theorists" have problems with homosexual characters if their sexuality doesn't serve as an element of anti-gay agenda--in that case it's wrong and it's "promoting homosexuality". Just no words, for so dumb it is. :o And the worst thing is that those people use pseudo-scientific tools to validate their opinions which we all know stem from their own prejudices and whatnot while pulling the academic authority card that doesn't even apply to their ☹.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:18 pm 
inactive
Elizames wrote:
Telletubbies "promote" homosexuality. :grey:

And I thought that was just a joke of some random teens. :P

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
Mimi-chan wrote:
Elizames wrote:

It was a journalist's intrigue to make lulzy material (and lots of money) off one haunted woman. :D She's no longer a deputy now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:24 pm 
inactive
kikyo hino wrote:
Nike-chan wrote:
kikyo hino wrote:

But what about the Mamoru fans? I don't think they'd appreciate Mamoru being bashed like no tomorrow.

I'm sure they don't, but what does this have to do with me? I don't bash Mamoru- I express a negative opinion of him at times, and there is a big difference. I would never use a derogatory term to describe any SM character (or at least it would be very, extremely, highly unlikely and need a very good reason).

'MAMO-CHAN IS WORTH IT'

Last edited by Nike-chan on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:26 pm 
inactive
Elizames wrote:
Mimi-chan wrote:
Elizames wrote:

It was a journalist's intrigue to make lulzy material (and lots of money) off one haunted woman. :D She's no longer a deputy now.

Bwhahaa.

@Nike: Maybe it has to that with you that it was you who said that you're insulted. :P Or maybe not, just a guess.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm 
inactive

....uh...right...I can't even comment on that stupidity...makes young boys gay...I ask you...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next