* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A random thought about the S finale
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:03 pm 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Hello everyone! Long time Sailor Moon fan here. I registered for quite a while but since then haven’t posted anything yet. I guess here’s a chance to fix this. I apologize in advance if this thread was done before or if it’s a lame question.

Anyway, recently during the rewatch of the S arc's finale I come up with a question. Why does Sailor Moon instead of giving away the Holy Grail to Mistress 9 didn’t just tried to purify her with the power of the Silver Cristal like she did with the 4 Spectre Sisters during the events of the R arc? It seems to me that by that time Mistress 9 was weakened enough with a struggle with Hotaru so this attack would probably succeed. Thus, she’d keep the Holy Grail and the ability to transform into Super Sailor Moon without awakening Sailor Saturn and giving Pharaoh 90 extra power. And as result defeating Pharaoh 90 would be much easier and as a bonus Hotaru would keep her original age.

So, what do you, guys, think?

P.S. Sorry if the text above looks weird and\or incorrect. English is not my primary language.

Post subject: Re: A random thought about the S finale
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
it seemed like by S the anime staff didn't want Usagi relying on the silver crystal. They quietly acted like it wasn't around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In Classic and R the enemies were either brainwashed or influenced by evil energy (or both in case of Mamoru and Chibiusa). Thats why you could heal them.

Mistress 9 was a separate being, another entity living in Hotaru's body. One body, two souls. Usagi was probably afraid that if she'd damage Mistress 9 she could damage/kill Hotaru in the process

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:
In Classic and R the enemies were either brainwashed or influenced by evil energy (or both in case of Mamoru and Chibiusa). Thats why you could heal them.

Mistress 9 was a separate being, another entity living in Hotaru's body. One body, two souls. Usagi was probably afraid that if she'd damage Mistress 9 she could damage/kill Hotaru in the process

Yeah this is probably true.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Because you had to accept purification for the silver crystal to work.

Notice that each of the four sisters basically saw the light/reformed before Moon used the crystal’s power. It wasn’t imposed on them.

You might as well ask why she didn’t do it to every villain she came across

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

Notice that each of the four sisters basically saw the light/reformed before Moon used the crystal’s power. It wasn’t imposed on them.

But this isn't a case of someone choosing to be evil and then seeing the error of their ways. This is one evil being taking possession of an innocent victim, like what happened with some Victim-of-the-Week in the first season. Really I think by that thinking, it should've worked better since it's destroying one evil being to save the innocent person trapped inside.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
Hi! I, too, registered long ago and didn't start actually posting until recently.

I was of the impression that Usagi didn't fully realize the degree to which Hotaru was possessed and sort of got tricked, but it's been a couple years and my series-long rewatch is still going through R. So I'm not sure in hindsight... I'm eager to check it out again though.

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

This is definitely true; note how it failed versus Kunzite (I bet it would've worked better on Nephrite though, if she'd had the means and opportunity to try it). However, Hotaru struggling against Mistress 9 might mean she would've been able to resist it, so it might've worked.

Umino wrote:
it seemed like by S the anime staff didn't want Usagi relying on the silver crystal. They quietly acted like it wasn't around.

Perhaps so (I always wondered about that. Was it in her brooch? My best guess is that it receded into her body somehow after her brooch broke at the beginning of S), but it got referenced in the S movie, and in Sailor Stars, and Usagi did purifying-type things through that entire season.

The show is consistent enough with itself that I don't feel like things just sort of 'go away' even when they're not getting mentioned... it's just that they didn't want to reference past seasons very often in general I think, which is unfortunate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm 
Luna
Luna
knowall7 wrote:
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

But this isn't a case of someone choosing to be evil and then seeing the error of their ways. This is one evil being taking possession of an innocent victim, like what happened with some Victim-of-the-Week in the first season. Really I think by that thinking, it should've worked better since it's destroying one evil being to save the innocent person trapped inside.

Right which is why the crystal WOULDN’T work. It only worked on the four sisters when they accepted purification.

Nothing suggest the crystal has the kind of power to cleanse evil that’s taken over an innocent at least not when its in tandem with the crescent moon stick