Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
 Post subject: Re: DiC vs. Viz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Just watched episode 41 and 42 of the Viz dub. The latter of which was of course skipped
by DiC . Some things to address

Episode 41:
Someone tell Viz that "Douse yourself in water and repent" sounds stupid in English

"If you're gonna recycle recycle cans!" Who needs Sailor Says when the original
Japanese version/Viz dub has awkward aesops with bizarre segues throw in the actual episode?

Episode 42:
The two most popular suggestions as to why this episode was skipped by DiC was because "Sailor V wasn't as well known " and "the scene with the grenade" the entire argument for the former is asinine as American viewers definitely knew who Sailor V was (except the Nostalgia Critic I guess). The grenade thing holds some water but I still have my doubts. For one grenades aren't as easy to find lying around the house as guns (and Sailor Moon let the burglar from Venus's debut keep his shotgun) and DiC doesn't seemed bothered by suggesting death unless someone actually dies. If anything DiC skipped this episode because Prince Darien takes a backseat to the plot and DiC found it expendable to their 65 episode package.

Also watching this episode without the glasses of "Oh my God a lost episode!" this episode wasn't as good as I remembered mostly because it makes no sense.

How did Minako, a middle school student, move to a completely different continent and live there? Why couldn't it be set in Tokyo?

And Artemis apparently didn't know any of this uhhhn wasn't he the one who awakened her and mentored her?

What was Alan's relationship with Minako? She knew him before Katarina and he seemed older. Like he is to Minako what Motoki was to Usagi in early series one but Motoki was familiar with Usagi because she frequented his arcade that he worked at. How did Minako and Alan meet and why were they close in spite of the age difference.

Kunzite should know Minako is Sailor V (he teleports into the hotel room after she leaves as Minako) but ehhh not important I guess.

Well when I watched the series it didn't seem to me as though Artemis didn't know this stuff rather he was merely acknowledging what Sailor Venus was saying.

Also Sailor V was following a Youma of the Dark Kingdom that escaped to London so that is why she went. Also Minako seems to have money. In the manga of Sailor V for instance she did travel to Greece and China.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Also Sailor V was following a Youma of the Dark Kingdom that escaped to London so that is why she went.
The question wasn't asking why she went there, but how she was able to go live there.

MariaTenebre wrote:
Also Minako seems to have money. In the manga of Sailor V for instance she did travel to Greece and China.
She only got to go to those places by winning contests that involved those trips, not by paying for them herself. And the Greece trip was a mistake made by the airport people. She was supposed to go to Hawaii instead.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Aren't all the Sailor Guardians supposed to be fairly high class?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:06 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That is irrelevant. You don't get to be 14 and say "Mom, dad ...I'm moving to London for a few months because reasons love you bye <3"

Minako could be loaded (and I think of the 5 only Ami and Rei actually have high class backgrounds) and it doesn't justify how she can live in another continent without the school or her parents caring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:16 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
I think Minako moved to England on her summer vacation,she could tell her parents that she wanted to learn English there so its understandable.i just can't understand her relationship with Allan although i gotta admit they look so nice together and so sad that things went bitter between them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:28 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Neon Genesis wrote:
Usagi, Minako, and Makoto are all middle class.

Rei as well might be considered middle class since, while her family has their own shrine, they don't seem particularly that much more well off than the above three are.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:37 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
^ Rei attends to an upper class school,her family must be rich to pay for it

In manga,her father seems rich too,but it has nothing to do with anime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 pm 
Luna
Luna
Yes Rei attending a private school and having a politician father indicates upper class

Usagi's father is a reporter and her mom is a housewife they're definitely NOT high class

Ami's mom is a doctor and they live in a condo

Mako, well I assume she lives off her parents life insurance and savings? But she doesn't seem well off

We don't know anything about Minako's family but she seems middle class. Probably in the same income range as Usagi's family.

Minako saying she's going to England to speak English doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
That is irrelevant. You don't get to be 14 and say "Mom, dad ...I'm moving to London for a few months because reasons love you bye <3"

Minako could be loaded (and I think of the 5 only Ami and Rei actually have high class backgrounds) and it doesn't justify how she can live in another continent without the school or her parents caring.
I assumed Minako participated in a foreign exchange program. That would be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Quote:
Usagi's father is a reporter and her mom is a housewife they're definitely NOT high class
I had always heard Usagi's unusually large house was a sign that her family is pretty well off. At least this ANN article seems to suggest so. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-lis ... 21/.111252

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
I also noticed that minako's house is smaller than usagi's so I thought usagi's family is richer than her

If i could make a list.from richest to poorest,i could say:
1.Rei
2. Ami
3. Usagi
4. Minako
5. Makoto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldn't be surprised if DiC's reason for skipping episode 42 was solely because the title character is barely in it and/or it didn't progress the main plot. At the time (and probably still today), it's pretty rare for a main/title character to be missing from an entire episode of a children's show. The more emotional story probably didn't help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if DiC's reason for skipping episode 42 was solely because the title character is barely in it and/or it didn't progress the main plot. At the time (and probably still today), it's pretty rare for a main/title character to be missing from an entire episode of a children's show. The more emotional story probably didn't help.

Or the main character wanted to kill a innocent person.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
zttmoon wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Or the main character wanted to kill a innocent person.
That could have been easily rewritten by DiC, so I doubt it played any part in being an obstacle for dubbing the episode.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 am 
Luna
Luna
They've already suggested that "Moon dusted" monsters are simply sent back to the Negaverse. All you need is to have Moon threaten to banish her to the Negaverse.

Heck Jupiter threatened to blast Rita's monster form back to the Negaverse.

You can argue the Negaverse is a hell dimension like the hellmouth in Buffy but still

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 am 
Planeta
Planeta
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

You can argue the Negaverse is a hell dimension like the hellmouth in Buffy but still

Nah, it's the shadow realm from Yu-Gi-Oh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't think "blasted back to the Negaverse" is suppose to be taken literally. I mean, c'mon. It's like saying Ralph Kramden is literally going to send his wife to the moon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
Usagi, Minako, and Makoto are all middle class.

Rei as well might be considered middle class since, while her family has their own shrine, they don't seem particularly that much more well off than the above three are.

If I remember correctly, Minako's family is actually on the poorer side of the spectrum as explained by the Sailor V manga. I think she mentioned they weren't well off enough for a tv set or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
^ i looked at codename sailor v manga to see that
It was in chapter 3.she says we don't even have an antenna or a tuner in our house.that's it if anybody's interested

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52