* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VA Poll Threads
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The general discussion board has been littered with these "which is your favorite VA for (insert character)" threads over the past few weeks. Am I the only one who's starting to think it's getting excessive?

I don't think these threads foster any actual dialogue about the characters/voice actors; they exist purely for polling purposes. Many (not all) of the threads are only for the English dubs which is fine, but also a bit alienating.

I think a better idea might be to have one centralized thread for all VA-related discussion, or at least have different threads dedicated to actually discussing the voice actors for each character. Just having a random poll does not generate much discussion. Usually the people who start these threads don't add their own opinions and their opening posts are just polls. What's the point?

#BlueLivesMatter

Post subject: Re: VA Poll Threads
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:24 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Those threads might be pointless but technically speaking, they can't be centralized since there can only be one poll on a thread.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
John wrote:
I think a better idea might be to have one centralized thread for all VA-related discussion, or at least have different threads dedicated to actually discussing the voice actors for each character. Just having a random poll does not generate much discussion. Usually the people who start these threads don't add their own opinions and their opening posts are just polls. What's the point?

The point is having fun!

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Those threads might be pointless but technically speaking, they can't be centralized since there can only be one poll on a thread.

I meant a centralized thread for VA-related discussion. I don't necessarily think this is a great idea, though. Just a suggestion.

redblade7 wrote:
John wrote:

The point is having fun!

Eh I guess. I suppose I'm just surprised at how many of them are popping up one after the other.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
John wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

I meant a centralized thread for VA-related discussion. I don't necessarily think this is a great idea, though. Just a suggestion.

redblade7 wrote:
John wrote:

The point is having fun!

Eh I guess. I suppose I'm just surprised at how many of them are popping up one after the other.

It'd probably be annoying to create a single poll with 15+ x 2-3 options, don't you think?

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:47 pm 
Luna
Luna
redblade7 wrote:
It'd probably be annoying to create a single poll with 15+ x 2-3 options, don't you think?

I don't think you understand my issue here.

What's "annoying" is the fact that these topics are rarely creating any actual discussion, and this is a message board for discussions.

And no, I don't think that would be more annoying because then the general discussion board wouldn't be cluttered with topics like "which VA for this character is your favorite" which ultimately doesn't go anywhere and doesn't foster any kind of insight etc. The people responding just share their opinions and move on. Not a lot of people are responding to each other or creating a real discussion, it's just a poll for the sake of a poll and I don't think that's constructive for a forum that's supposed to be discussion-based.

I think it'd be different if it were a general thread that existed for the purpose of DISCUSSING the different voice actors of a specific character, but the people posting these threads are just opening with a poll and aren't offering their own thoughts or opinions. There isn't a lot of thought put into it.

Basically...they shouldn't be polls. They should be real discussions.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:58 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Anyone may create the above-suggested centralized thread w/o the polls, & we'll see if those currently mushrooming polling threads would then die naturally under the survival-of-the-fittest law. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm 
Luna
Luna
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Anyone may create the above-suggested centralized thread w/o the polls, & we'll see if those currently mushrooming polling threads would then die naturally under the survival-of-the-fittest law. :)

I love you Rika. <3

I'm not gonna post a centralized thread, haha. I just needed to vent my frustration. If others are happy with these threads it's not my place to say they're not okay.

#BlueLivesMatter